I need a flashlight with a strobe function.

frank4570

Newly Enlightened
New guy, new guy questions. Hopefully not too, new guyish. Anyway, I'm just going to jump right in and hope for the best. I've looked through existing threads, didn't find the info I was looking for.

I believe I am zeroed in on an Olight ms20, that is what I have come up with. Let me see what you guys think.

I need a handheld led light, with a momentary strobe function. This is for airsoft games and training. So I need to strobe in short controlled bursts without having to mess with any other buttons, with one hand.

I need to be able to select a few different light intensities in regular flashlight mode.

I need to be able to install a red lens cover for night work here at the farm.

I would like normal batteries, but that is not a big deal. A rechargeable light would be even better.

I'm willing to spend maybe $130.00 for the light, plus shipping and accessories.

Thanks.

frank4570

Newly Enlightened
If I am reading this right the quark can be programmed to only 2 modes at a time. Strobe would be one. Then I would be stuck with only one light level.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The old LiteFlux LF3XT could be configured for your needs. Not as bright as newer stuff, but fully programmable. It's a 1 CR123 light, but did have a 2AA option. Hard to find these days however.

Geoff

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like Olight M31 Triton or Klarus XT10 might fit the bill. The latter doesn't have a red filter for accessory though.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Based on your very particular requirements, of the lights I'm familiar with, the Olight M20S and M31 make a lot of sense because you don't need to have the light switched "on" to to use the strobe seperately. Be on the lookout though, Olight/4Sevens (or the other way around) is coming out with an improved M20S side switch that with be easier to locate blindly, but you would need to contact David Chow at 4Sevens to see if he's willing or able to give you a time table on the new M20S's release date. I do not know if the same treatment will be given to the M31, but another good question for David.

Wishing you the best,
John

frank4570

Newly Enlightened
The strobe is for doing room to room searches. A quick sweep makes the room visible to the person holding the light, but just confuses anybody already in the room.

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
If you really like a light but it doesnt have a red filter you could try some of that clear red holiday wrapping paper held on the front with a rubber band. Not the sturdiest solution, but it works fine on an old cheap light I have for night-use.

///Maverick

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPFer's newbie here,
wink2.gif

Just wanted to say you guys have an awesome wicked
evilgrin07.gif
forum goin here.
I'm so glad to be a member, i thought i was like the only flashaholic on earth till i found this place.

With that being said, this post caught my eye somehow, and after reading you requirements i would say the perfect light for you is either the blackhawk gladius or the insight typhoon. they are the exact same light just have two different brandings on them. both have an 80/120 lumen version, its primarily a 2xcr123, but rechargables can used. would post more specs but i gtg, google it.

hope this helps.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
You can get directly to strobe with any of the Klaurus lights. You can see video reviews on goinggear.com. Also see the reviews by Selfbuilt in The CPF review forum from Dec. 2010.

savumaki

Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK15 that has a side button that controls the levels of light as well as strobe; holding the button down will activate the strobe and a repeat will deactivate.
Might suit your needs.

mattp

Enlightened
The 4sevens Maelstrom G5 would fit the bill, it has a number of brightness settings available, as well as strobe and a few other settings (SOS, beacon, etc). You could have it set to strobe and just momentarily activate it with the clickie for each room sweep. I think that would be easier in terms of activating the light rather than trying to hit the side switch on the current set-up of the Olight M20S.