Mag Exotic 52mm MLC Aspherical Lens help please

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
:nana: Long time lurker turned member. Tons of way over my head information here. I like that.....it means I have much to learn!!

As per the title.....I'm on a quest. Not with out having searched, found and subsequently been snuffed out in all of my attempts to find and purchase an Aspherical for a C/D cell Mag Lite. I'm not looking to go over the top with my build, but this lens, being ever elusive, is becoming more of a quest than simply making a purchase. I went to all the suggested sights I could find by the members in their posts here and thought I had secured my lens via Kaidomain with a seemingly successful purchase, only to have my paypal payment refunded to me the next day with no explanation. So I went to the Kai web sight, searched my purchases and waddaya know.....out of stock.

So.....I don't wish to spend 5 times the cost of the Mag-Lite, so a lens for a camera that just happens to fit isn't appealing to me in the least. Are there any current suppliers with this item in stock for say......less than a testicle (30 bucks) who is reliable and preferably in the USA????

I exhausted a solid 3 hours yesterday searching and researching, only to come to the conclusion, that either I am not worthy of one of these lenses OR....One of you fine fellows was meant to assist me and I was just being bull headed in not coming here to ask sooner.

I've enjoyed reading posts from the sidelines for some time now, although I must admit, that my eyes do tend to glaze over when the technical jargon goes beyond, battery, bulb, lens, on off switch...lol...I know, I know...and no...I'm not a Neanderthal.....Just a slow and determined learner taking in little bits at a time as to keep from overloading!!

So, what say you gentlemen? Any help would be appreciated. I've seen some FINE Mag-Lites on here with some more than impressive modifications. I hope to learn much as time goes on and thanks to the CPF community for all I've learned so far.

Cheers!!

Zippo

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Type "Poor Man's Aspheric Lens" in the google search on the top LEFT of the site and you will find what you need. I may order one myself.:naughty:

Good luck,
Jamie

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies men. The Deal Extreme lens.....is it a direct drop in to any C/D cell Mag Lite? I only ask because of different sizes being out there and I want to be sure that I am getting a drop in lens and not one that requires and mods to my light. Reason being...no machining equip in my little world. Thanks again!!

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
Well........:whistle: I uh......:wave: Spoke before reading the DX reviews on the Aspherical lens. Just placed my order for three. Does any one in the US know the approximate lead time from ordering to receiving a DX order?

Thanks again gentlemen!!

Zippo

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well........:whistle: I uh......:wave: Spoke before reading the DX reviews on the Aspherical lens. Just placed my order for three. Does any one in the US know the approximate lead time from ordering to receiving a DX order?

Thanks again gentlemen!!

Zippo
It has taken right at 4 weeks every time I have ordered from them.

rajalexi

Newly Enlightened
zippovarga, I have the DX 52mm aspherical and love it. It does what you want it to do, it is a direct fit. It isn't the cleanest in the wolrd as far as optics, but it works. I have placed 6 or 7 orders with DX and all of mine were 26 to 30 days for delivery to WI. Hopefully when you get the aspheric your light is centered, if not the aspheric will make it VERY noticeable.

Enjoy,
Jamey

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
zippovarga, I have the DX 52mm aspherical and love it. It does what you want it to do, it is a direct fit. It isn't the cleanest in the wolrd as far as optics, but it works. I have placed 6 or 7 orders with DX and all of mine were 26 to 30 days for delivery to WI. Hopefully when you get the aspheric your light is centered, if not the aspheric will make it VERY noticeable.

Enjoy,
Jamey

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened

Enjoy,
Jamey

Thanks Jamey! I prematurely evacuated my reply with no text after your quote! My Bad!!

On centering the light....is there a trick to centering it and it staying securely in place? Being a newbie with just enough mechanical know how with these lights to be dangerous, could I possibly wrap the body of the led bulb with foil and get the light to center that way?

Dontcha love newbies????????? :eek::duh2::whistle::shakehead lol

Cheers!!

Zippo

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
Whew!! I got past my first three posts!! Yay Me!!!! lol....ok.....Think2x! Thanks buddy! Not sure if my moderated "thank you" will show up or not, so better safe than sorry.

Cheers!!

Zippo

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
This lens seems to work but after I got mine from DX I was very disappointed. I use it with a Rop L globe. I threw it in the parts bin as soon as I powered on the light. What a bad buy. I can't see how others can make it work. What might I be doing wrong?
At least my son can use it as a magnifying glass...

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
This lens seems to work but after I got mine from DX I was very disappointed. I use it with a Rop L globe. I threw it in the parts bin as soon as I powered on the light. What a bad buy. I can't see how others can make it work. What might I be doing wrong?
At least my son can use it as a magnifying glass...

An aspheric is for a LED, it would never work for a incandescent, you would just focus on the squigly filament, ugly! Use it with a single die LED emitter like a Cree XR-E, XM-L.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

srfreddy

Enlightened
An aspheric is for a LED, it would never work for a incandescent, you would just focus on the squigly filament, ugly! Use it with a single die LED emitter like a Cree XR-E, XM-L.

I guess they're used for HID-just out of focus-amirite?

lightseeker2009

Enlightened

I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy.
I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy. I must read more before I buy.:eek::eek::eek:

zippovarga

Newly Enlightened
Seriously fast turn around from DX. Ordered the lenses on March 24th and they were in todays post!! Love them, and for the eleven dollars and some change I paid for three of them, they're well worth it. Thanks for the help guys!