Anybody have a Black & Decker Flex light?

dthrckt

Newly Enlightened
I might pick up this light
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-Decker-Flex-360-Clamplight-3-AA/

I've added magnets and flexible stalks to a few cheap lights in an effort to get the same functionality as this (before I saw it).

Checked it out in the store. The magnet needs a cover to keep from scratching stuff, no biggie. Although sealed in plastic, you can flex the clamp - seems strong enough and looks like it has rubber to get some grip.

Strangely, it is $25 in store...while most of the rest of their lights are more expensive on line. I would have already bought it local if it was $15...

Anyway - what I'm wondering is if anybody has ripped one open. I'm sure I won't be satisfied w/ 130 lumens - even if it is an accurate rating - so I'm wondering if it is well suited for modding.

If the optics/clamp/magnet seem good I'll want to get the brightest emitter I can, a variable (or multi-level/mode) driver, and use 14500s. If it is a pita to mod I'll probably just try and swap only the emitter to a more efficient one...

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I had one a few years ago. It was an incan, so I can't speak to how easy they are to mod. The rest of the light was pretty tough, though, so it should give a pretty sturdy base to whatever mods you want to make. Most of my uses for it were up close (under the sink, under the car, etc.), so lots of lumens wouldn't have been a good thing for me. It was a good output level just like it was.

dthrckt

Newly Enlightened
reviews indicate it is more than enough light for illuminating stuff like working on a car but I'd also like to use it, or a couple of them, clipped to the railing on my boat.

good to know it is sturdy. hopefully it is inside, too. my last project was a stanley led spotlight (AAA to AA) and it was WAY to easy to pull the power lead off the mounting plate inside that light...