Looking for a stand-by all-purpose light.

Pacificwing

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I'll get right to the point. I'm looking for a light that runs off of 2x18650 batteries, has a high top luman output (800+ lumans), but has a mode around (100 lumans as well). I don't care about the reflector too much, but I'm partial to LOP over smooth. Size isn't an issue. Bigger is actually preferable since its not an EDC and needs to be quickly locatable on a cluttered desk.

I've looked at three so far, but they each have their faults. I'm wondering if someone has experience with all three and can give me a comparison, or maybe suggest something similar.

Fenix TK-35: The closest to what I need, but I'm not a fan of the plastic body. I need something I can beat the crap out of.

Olight M31 Triton: This also is in the right ballpark, but is missing the 100 lumans option. It jumps from 60 to 320. It also has a rather goofy interface, IMO.

Eagletac M3C4: A good light from what I've read, and my preferred choice, but I've heard the battery holder in the M3 series doesn't really hold the AW 18650 (or any flattop) that well without additional components. I'm also having trouble keeping track of all the variations. Seems there is a new version everytime I visit a new website. Heh.

Anyway. Hope this gives you an idea what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice.
-PW

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
The TK35 pretty much fits your bill. The body is aluminium. Only a small part around the buttons is plastic. I have beaten it up somewhat this weekend and I think it is pretty robust. There is a battery carrier inside however, that nobody really knows of how robust it is. It seems pretty well made though.

There are other alternatives though. Jetbeam makes a pretty decent searchlight that might also be of interest. I forgot the name though.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi.

I've got the TK35 and the M31, The M2S along with earlier M2's.

If I had to settle on only one, it would be the TK35. Don't get me wrong, the M31 and M2S are both fantastic lights, great throw but not too much spill. The M2S probably wins over the M31 because it does have an 80 lumen mode.

The M2's I find just that little too big for my liking.

But the TK35, well this is a little beauty. Reasonably sized, fantastic output, both for throw and spill, runtime is great, build quality is great. It's just an all-round great light. Fenix certainly got this one right.

monju123

Newly Enlightened
How about the Lumintop TD 15X? 200 lumins instead of 100, but very configurable battery compartment with the various extension tubes.

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
I chose TK35 because of the size and the price. Now I am happy with it also because of the balance between flood and throw beam that is very useful for me.

I also like M3C4 though because of the solid feel and the throwy beam. But since I carry most of the time with me so I went for TK35.

So if you will pretty much put it on the table then I would recommend the M3C4.

Last edited:

Pacificwing

Newly Enlightened
I think i've decided that I'm going to go with the TK35. For some reason, I was under the impression that the body was plastic, which turned me off. Other reviews I'm finding now from people who have actually used it for a while say that its pretty tough, so I guess we'll find out.

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap is plastic but the rest is aluminum. I've dropped mine a few times on rough gravel and there's only slight wear on the tailcap. You won't be disappointed with the tk35

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
Good decision. I would like to add that TK35 has a beautiful beam and a very useful warm tint.