LS 2nd vs. TL2

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All,

An Arc LSL 2nd is $65 while the SL TL2 can be purchased for $60-70. Both contain the 1W LS and use lithium batteries. Besides the obvious difference in the number of cells used (1 for the LSL, 2 in the TL2), what are the differences. Any preferences? Thanks.

-jim

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL TL-2 LED is several magnitudes brighter than an ARC LSH-S I recently purchased (and sold). The TL beam is more focused, has an even beam, and huge peripheral spill.

It is almost like comparing apples and oranges, the TL is so much brighter, and has enormously greater throw.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The Arc LS is much easier to carry in a pocket as an everyday carry light. The TL-2 is brighter but is more suited to carrying in a coat pocket or on a lanyard or on a belt clip. I use my Arc as my EDC for that reason. It is the smallest of my luxeon lights.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my main "beefs" with most luxeon products is the use of the NX05 optics...and this is nothing more than a matter of personal preference. I like a flashlight that has good throw, and has useful sidespill light. IMHO, the SL TL-2 LED excels in both of these areas. It throws a beautifully white beam damn near as far as my E2, and has the brightest, most useful sidespill of any light I own. As far as it being bigger than the Arc LS...that it is. But I think it's still small enough for front pocket EDC, and IMHO completely outperforms the Arc in brightness, run-time, throw and sidespill. I truly like Arc products...but for me, the TL-2 is the perfect EDC.

PJD

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
while not owning an Arc yet, I can only comment on the outstanding performance of the TL-2. Last night I was on top of a commercial building working on some stuff for a new company that is taking over the building. I pulled out my TL-2 and it lit up the rooftop very nicely. This was inspite of the low level of light that was around from the street lights and cars and what not. It is right now without a shadow of a doubt my favorite work EDC.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PJD said:
... As far as it being bigger than the Arc LS...that it is. But I think it's still small enough for front pocket EDC, ...but for me, the TL-2 is the perfect EDC.
PJD

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy are we on different sides of the same question. For me, the ARC LS is too big for an EDC! Would you really go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, in dress slacks and a jacket, with a TL-2 in your front pocket? For me, that's what an EDC means. I suppose you could have a "dress EDC" and a "work EDC" (and maybe even a "casual EDC"), but I'm looking for one single EDC.

-barry

onelight

Enlightened
The ARC is regulated a feature I really like for EDC, predictable output for the life of the battery. The ARC with a twisty will fit in the watch pocket of my jeans, the ARC has a tougher finish so it will wear better.I would rather carry 1 spare battery than 2.I have many lights that are brighter than my ARC but the combination of features that are represented in the ARC make it my EDC. But your needs may be different than mine. Ain't it great to have so many good lights to choose from.Have Fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
Philip is right. LSL=$65. "grab bag"Seconds=$50.

I don't have the TL2, so I can't compare quality, beam or performance. But I can say that for me, the ARC-LS w/twisty is the "largest" light I'll EDC. Sure, it's dimmer than the 2 cell TL2, but a light that I can EDC comfortably and discretely beats one that gets left behind due to its size. I have brighter, larger lights than the LS, but since the LS is my EDC, I use it the most. And it's more than bright enough for most everything I use it for. My LS is actually brighter than some incan. 2 D cell and 6v lights I have! Most times I get by with just the AAA.
I think it comes down to what your intended use is. If size isn't an issue, get the TL2, if you want the smallest package, get the LS.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here is a picture comparing the Arc-LS with TSP and CR123A cell and a Streamlight TL-2 LED:

arcvssl.jpg

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gang,

Thanks for all of the information. Philip, you're right about the Arc LSL sale price, thanks for the correction.
Craig, thanks for the photo showing size comparison. Man, this forum is just outstanding. Now then, since
the relative brightness of the two flashlights was described by PJD, can anyone comment on the battery
life? I understand that the regulated LSL has a 2 hour burn time, but what about the TL-2? I've heard
that 4 hours was reasonable, but since it's not regulated, how much drop-off is there?

Also, one of the main reasons for looking into a 1W led light is for additional throw over my 5mm leds. Is
there any advantage in the TL-2 over the TT 2L? It's half the price, and I get to select between long life
5mm leds and/or halogen for throw. Thanks again guys.

-jim

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
BarryNYC...I actually think that we're on the same side of the question, just two different viewpoints on EDC. The TL-2 LED is only 1/4 inch longer than my SF E2SG, and I used to EDC that in slacks and a jacket (...it clipped nicely in the inside breast pocket of my jacket). My idea of the perfect EDC is a light that's small enough to be with me all the time, and bright enough to be useful in just about any situation...which it is. I used to EDC an Arc LS, and there were more than a few times that it just didn't have enough "oomph" for what I needed it for. I've been EDCing the TL-2 for a little over a month now, and I have yet to be in a situation where it didn't provide enough light or throw. Lack of throw was my biggest problem with the Arc LS...FANTASTIC light, it just didn't suit my particular needs. For times when the TL-2 may be too much light, there's ALWAYS an ArcAAA with me! I really like Arc products, but for my particular needs/requirements, the TL-2 LED is the perfect EDC (...up to THIS point in time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

PJD

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
PJD: yep, I do think we are closer to agreement than it sounds. The clear difference between the two of us is that you use your EDC, and I don't!!! I have been carrying the ARC AAA for about 3 months, and I've never used it. I carried the ARC LS for a week or two, but it seemed too big given that I use it so rarely. Additionally, I carried a Photon for about 3 years and only used it twice - once to read a menu in a very dark restaurant (not exactly an exciting flashlight story), and once when I dropped something in a theatre. The photon worked fine. I only changed because I'm becoming a bit flashaholic lately, and it's kind of fun to have a more powerful light.

Even in the recent blackout, I was at home when the blackout happened, so I never used my EDC light. I grabbed a bigger light from the desk drawer and used that. I did get some satisfaction, however, out of being able to lend flashlights to many of my friends.

p.s. You have convinced me to buy a TL-2 LED. Not for and EDC (I haven't crossed over that far yet), but it does seem like a very cook flashlight.

-barry

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will be IMPRESSED with the TL-2. it is nearly as bright and with similar throw to my tec-40.

the tec-40 aint no slouch!

Bob

oh, and it does get a little warm, but not enough to "cook" with...

Latest posts