Blackhawk Gladius Flashlight: Intermittent Issues

David_Parker

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying around the Blackhawk Gladius flashlight for about 4 years now. That, or a Surefire LED E2D has been my EDC wherever I go.

For the last couple of years, I've started to notice lighting issues in the Gladius. I finally got off my butt and got an R/A from Blackhawk, who (no surprise from what I've read regarding other peoples inquiries), was not able to diagnose or confirm any problem with the flashlight. 1 new manual (surprise...) and 1 new set of batteries (...surprise.)

Customer service was great, but I am not crazy, and the flashlight will sometimes not turn on at all without a gentle tap.

So, in reading some more, I found that the issue could be in the tailcap. My flashlight serial is #33081, and apparently that may have been in the early issue range.

Going to the source, I email Stategos Int, where I received an email stating a new tailcap would be $70.99 + S/H which brings the total to a whopping $80.

Now, I'm all for spending cash to get poop done, but if this is a warranty issue, and everyone else I've read seems to have been shipped a new tailcap for free, why the ***k am I about to spend $80 on a replacement part when I bought it brand new for $300? I mean, I carry a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan as my EDC, but if I can get it for less, I'm going to find that source. I'll only spend the total amount if I must absolutely have to.

I love my E2D. But I really prefer the Gladius. I love the variable output, the strobe, the constant on and off. And, I soon want to send it to get the CREEMator upgrade. But is there anywhere else I might be able to buy a tailcap for much cheaper?

Thanks for reading this and any input you have would be great guys.

Viper715

Enlightened
I've had similar issues with a Gladius I once owned not sure what the problem was but I just dealt with it till I sold it. You may keep trying with customer service and try and talk to a supervisor or higher. Maybe if you talk to them about getting the Creemator upgrade and the repair at the same time it might be free but not sure.

If you like that format of light I Just got the Thrunite Scorpion and it works exactly like the Gladius the button even feels exactly the same with similar settings and lockout retire great solid light with the new XML for just about $20 more than just a tailcap for the Gladius. Good luck in any case.

Best Regard,
Eric

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
You may want to try customer service with Blackhawk again. I did so recently. I emphasized I was having issues with the tailcap, (I was having a different issue, parisistic drain that would drain the batteries in about two weeks). When i sent in the gladius, I wrapped a big note around the light explaining my issue. They replaced the innards of the tailcap and all of the inner electronics with the RMA.

I am also thinking very hard about the Creemator upgrade.

Flucero28

Enlightened
Have you tried using a jumper to power on the light without the tailcap? This can help to confirm if its the tailcap, or rule it out if it still exhibits the problem when using a jumper lead to power it on. That would be my first step.