Stuck between 2 Lights: Elzetta and LX2

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
The factor that will sell me on one or the other is throw. I know that the LX2 is a crazy thrower, but the Elzetta seems like something with quite a throw as well. So which one has the greater throw between the two? If the throws are similar enough, I'll look at other factors as well.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the Elzetta with the M60 it may out do the LX2. If it has the M61, then the L2 will probably have it beat (even the the M61 may be putting out more lumens). The only reason I would take the LX2 over the Elzetta, is the two stage setting. I rarely have a use for "balls-to-walls" lights (i.e. anythnig equipped with an M60), but don't get me wrong, I have 5 Malkoff's with a 6th on the way. But, having the choice of one light, I'd go with the LX2, even if the M60 may out throw it by 25'. I don't think the throw is that big of a difference with these two. The M61 however loses some throw by having a reflector, as opposed to the TIR found in the M60.

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
The Elzetta can be had with a High/Low tailcap. The Elzetta is a pretty good host. I remember seeing a thread here where it was shot with a shotgun, then thrown down, not dropped, thrown down on a metal plate several times and it still worked. They did the same to a surefire 6px, I think. It did not last as long.

dirtech

Enlightened
Elzetta can be upgraded with future malkoffs or even different ones with more or less throw and cool or neutral tints.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Elzetta 3-cell model ZFL-M60-CS3D with the Hi/Lo tailcap.
It is an awesome light
Not sure about the throw contest against an LX2.
My Elzetta is useful throw out to about 150 yards, and it is a throw-oriented beam, not real wide but very nice, and has some useful spill at closer ranges.
The thing is built like a brick. I doubt that I could break it.
It's not bored to take the oversize Lithium rechargeables like 18650, and is designed to work on primaries, or direct-size replacement Lithium rechargable replacements for the primaries.

You can get 2-cell or 3-cell body sizes, and they are interchangeable, and so are the heads and tailcap options, so you can "LEGO" all the body, head, and tailcap options.
With the new Malkoff M91 XM-L module out now, which requires 3-cells, you might consider the 3-cell body and an M91 for a 500-lumen medium distance flood option to go along with your M60 module that comes in the light.
It will take all the Malkoff P60 size drop-ins, but other brands of drop-ins might not fit, because the heads are internally machined to be a perfect fit with the Malkoff brass heatsinks for optimal thermal management with the Malkoff drop-ins.

You'd have a hard time beating the Elzetta lights for an overall package. They are really exemplary in every way.
I think the Hi/Lo tailcap is the way to go, and the Lo setting is very useful for close range stuff, and it's just an easy 1/8-turn of the tailcap to get to Hi. The clicky tailswitch has great "feel" and is easy and predictable for momentary or clicked-on in either brightness setting. All the control is on the tailcap, for quick operation without moving your hand from the tactical hold.
Anodizing is virtually a perfect match for a Colt AR15, and is probably the best quality anodizing that I've ever seen. Construction quality is awesome.

Like any other light, it has it's limits, but it is excellent for its power level, and the ruggedness can't be beat.

I would highly recommend Elzetta, based on the one that I have as an example.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the elzetta with 2 stage tailcap. It hard to beat a p60 style setup (many options here) I have both and both are great but i just sugest the elzetta because of the before mentioned details. It is also very tough.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
How does the 2 stage work? Twist for different brightness or click? And if click, is low or high first?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I found the LX2 has a bit more reach and is better for pocket carry, if that matters to you.

Last edited:

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had the Elzetta, but I traded off my Malkoff M60 for other goodies after my LX2's first stellar performance. Definitely a bit throwier than the M60 IMHO. Both are excellent.

J.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the 2 stage work? Twist for different brightness or click? And if click, is low or high first?

The Hi/Lo levels are selected by turning the tailcap about 1/8-turn.
The light turns on momentary or clicks on with the tailswitch, and can turn on in either of the levels, depending how you have the tailcap turned.
So, you can turn it on at either brightness level, and you can select which level you want before you turn on the light.
And if the light is already on, you can switch brightness levels by turning the tailcap.
Great switching system.