What drop in for best throw in new EagleTac T20C2 MkII XM-L

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
Hello

New forum member here. I just ordered an EagleTacT20C2 XML for EDC and was looking to buy a drop in for it to maximize throw when used as a weapons light on my AR-15. Which of the available drop ins would you recommend? XP-E Q4 with smooth reflector or the XP-G R5 with smooth reflector?

Are there other drop ins that would be better that aren't listed on the ET-USA site?I don't really care about tint - I just want the longest and brightest throw I can get from the light.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there is an XRE drop in that's supposed to be a thrower, but I'm not sure. The XPE will significantly outthrow the XPG for certain. The XPE will have a superior beam in a smooth reflector vs the XRE and XPG, so I'd go that way.

GearedUp

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac offers a drop in for the T20C2 MKII with the XRE-R2 that is designed for the best throw. The XRE drop in comes with a lighly textured reflector to smooth out the beam. There is a selfbuilt review that claims this drop in nearly matches the throw of the original T20C2.

Here it is.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...(XP-G-R5)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIMES-and-more!

I don't know if i can give you a link directly to a dealer. But from Eagletac's website you can click on their dealers link and shouldn't have any trouble finding the drop in from there.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others said, the XR-E drop-in from EagleTac has the best throw. The T20C2 drop-in is not standard so only EagleTac makes a drop-in for the light. The XR-E throw much more than the XM-L but is less bright with a smaller hotspot and a very ringy beam. I rarely use my XR-E in that light because I have other lights the same size that throw much better with a bigger hot spot. Still, if you only want one light, go with the XR-E for it.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi tmackie. First :welcome:I just did the same thing you did. Ordered a T20C2 Mk II, and from what I understand, I also ordered the XR-E module for it for the throw. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday latest. Can't wait to check it out! If you get yours, please post a brief review and let us know your thoughts/opinions about your new Eagletac!

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
Hi tmackie. First :welcome:I just did the same thing you did. Ordered a T20C2 Mk II, and from what I understand, I also ordered the XR-E module for it for the throw. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday latest. Can't wait to check it out! If you get yours, please post a brief review and let us know your thoughts/opinions about your new Eagletac!

Thanks for all of the replies!

I will be ordering the XR-E drop in when I get a chance.

This is my first full size light. I purchased a Quark 123 Mini that I love but it just made me itch for something bigger:devil:

I will post a review after playing with it along with comparison beam shots from the XML and XR-E

Thanks again!

HooNz

Enlightened

Mine is also turning up tomorrow , just received the confirmation 10 mins ago , i have already got the beamshot photos out in the paddock of the standard drop-in on the computer which i'll use for comparison , full moon so far here , i'll have to wait until full dark at night .
Paul

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hey all. Well my ET and XR-E drop-in came today. I like the light pretty much. The XM-L is really bright. Nice beam, pretty good color, fairly smooth transition from spot to spill. I was a little disappointed in the fact that there's no memory. It's probably my fault for not being clear on that before I bought it. It would be nice to be able to get into that lowest mode, and have the light remember it when you turn it off. I would use the max and the lowest low the most. Like the Quark 123x2 tactical UI. Head tight is turbo, head loose is moonlight. (at least that's the way I have mine programmed) Anyway, it seems well built, the included accessories are nice, (the diffuser filter is really nice!) and it's not too big. The XR-E module, on the other hand, I'm not so crazy about. That's the ugliest beam I ever saw! SUPER RINGY! And I thought my Fenix PD31 was bad! I fixed the PD31 with phaserburn's diffusion film, but that won't work on the ET because the same lens is used with every drop-in. I believe I'll contact the seller tomorrow and see if I can swap out the XR-E module for the neutral white one. I just can't see myself ever wanting to put that XR-E in it. The XM-L throws decently enough. I'll probably get a dedicated "thrower" like a Catapult or something, rather than use the ET with the XR-E module in it. The beam is that ugly! You guys that have one coming, let us know what you think of it. Maybe my expectations were a little too high, I don't know, but the XR-E module is definitely going back.

HooNz

Enlightened
Midday here at the moment , the new drop-in is in and on a wall from 5 metres (16ft) the original was a spot width at around .8m(2ft-6") , the new drop-in is a spot .3m (1ft) wide all rough translations:confused: , the moon turns up a bit later tonight so i'll be out there to see if i can see/illuminate the other side of the paddock out front .

I may just point out(excuse the pun) that there was nothing wrong at all with the original drop-in , it really does poke out some light imo.

HooNz

Enlightened
Well , for me its a Keeper as i do not look at walls , it still is a bit early for correct looking as my previous looks with the Original drop-in was around 11pm or so , now its 7:30pm , no vehicles about then in the background out here at 11pm for the camera , but straight away when i stood in position and flicked it on with the new drop-in i could see <(just illuminated and one notices that it is there)> the other side of the verge of the paddock and the power pole just over and past that , even the shed in the next paddock which was not illuminated at all or the verge with the original drop-in which is/was a good balance of beam imo.

Now another few extra light particles would be Nice Mr and Mrs Eagletac :) . cheers , Paul
ps- the verge is 260-280m , the small shed past that another 20m.

HooNz

Enlightened
I dismantled the original xpg drop-in to have a look , on the driver board is a small trimmer (variable resistor) , it sets the current draw or output for medium power , it is set for 200ma originally a 12hr runtime on 2400ma battery 2400/200, i set it for 100ma 2400/100 ie:24 hour and put it back together , and going to try it tonight for brightness as originally for my personal taste it was too bright around/inside a dark dwelling on medium .

Ps- To selfbuilt :thumbsup: if you read this just a heads-up , in the review one mentions a spring and 'gun recoil' , the spring is and has to do with the High/Turbo setting only and Medium power , it(the spring) pushes the aluminium ring off the inner earth point on the circuit board with the head loose therefore its "Medium" and when one turns the head tight the aluminium ring then earths the inner earth ring to the outer earth therefore "High" .
Cheers all , Paul

pps-the new drop-in for throw is really spotty and bright even on Low in a dwelling imo , it has already caught me out a few times as i checked to see if the light was on Medium , but no , Low!

HooNz

Enlightened
Just a heads up .

Adjusting the trimmer is not really worth the effort as the gains are not that great AS Low power is also tied to it and if set for 100ma on medium = no low! , the least i could get was 165ma with low still working= do not bother :sssh:.

HooNz

Enlightened
The last update as far as i know , i'm finished and happy with the results.

I measured the distance to the other-side paddock edge with one of those wheels with a counter on it that one pushes along = 271m (889ft) .

Last night out here in rural at 11pm was a light moon with no other light pollution and a clear cloudless sky (have you noticed just how many stars are up there?), after swapping driver boards there was a difference out at the edge at 271m looking at 4ft high grass instead of a low moonlight effect it was twice that ie:high moonlight effect , the small shed is rusty and none reflective and it was slightly more visible also , that shed is 40m further out .

So , thats it from me , i have my torch that i require , Paul