KL1 question/problem?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently got a KL1 and I've been using it on me E1e and I think I'm in LOVE!! I love the size of this combo and the impressive amount of light I get.

I would anticipate that I've put about an hour on the battery since I've had it. I use it at night while checking on the kids and putting them to bed.

My question is that I thought this was regulated and that when the battery got low, the light would just go to a "moon mode" and become dimmer. Last night, I noticed that it has started to flicker so I was wondering whether or not this was normal or, should it just go into moon mode without flickering?

Any input would be most appreciated.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, i think that flicker is normal, ive got a number of Luxeon lights that exhibit this behaviour (one of which is a KL3, the closest thing i have to a KL1).
My best guess as to why it flickers is that the battery has just enough energy left to power the regulation circuit, before dropping off again. Possibley, the capacitor also plays a part in this flickering. Anyway, its totally normal, and nothing to worry about.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, should I take it as an indication that it's almost time for a new battery since if I leave this one in, it will most likely go into "moon mode" soon?

What is the runtime (chart, somewhere?) on a E1e w/KL1?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
For runtime info look in the Run-Time Plot stickky in the Reviews Forum.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flicker is due to the feedback loop in the regulation circuit. The loop's time constant is part of the cause of the flickering. It's normal behavior as the circuit transitions from full regulation to "moon mode".

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's battery dependent. If you want to get past it faster, keep your light on and keep sucking the batteries' power until it goes into moon mode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif