Cap clipped lights

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Headlamps are for hiking, at least in my opinion. Other than the odd night hike, I rarely use a headlamp. I find them uncomfortable, bulky and not very flexible when it comes to different tasks that may present themselves to me. Which is why I personally carry many of my EDC lights bezel up in my pocket. I am still able to work hands free by clipping it to the bill of my cap if needed but the platform is flexible enough to mold into other modes quite quickly.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way. Do any of you use your pocket/cap clip in this manner?

Also, I just ordered a Nitecore Extreme Infinity and I noticed that the pocket clip is mounted to be a bezel down carry... is there any way to make it bezel up?

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to clip my fenix ld20 like that, but I find myself wearing hats less and less. My EDC is a bored C2 with a Vannisle Quad, little to heavy for the brim. My LD20 is now in my Nite-ize headband for the days I need a headlamp.
Not sure if your nitecore is reversible, if not the niteize headband, or the Fenix headband may fit it

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes throw on a cap and clip my Fenix LD01 to the brim when I'm working on something at night. I've only tried one headlamp a couple years ago, and it was uncomfortable. I want to try out a newer one sometime though.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I find that the Maratac AAA works superb clipped to a cap. So very light, you cant tell its there.

And my Jet I Pro V3 too-

Almost forgot:
E1B, and my L1 with E1B clip

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1B, E1L, E1e, L1 have all seen "Ball-Cap use". The E1B seemed to fir the best. The Two cells (except the E2e) are all too long to fit on a cap.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
The Lumintop L1A and L1C have two-way clips similar to the Surefire E1B that allow ball cap attachment, as does the new C4 version of the Streamlight Microstream.

mrlysle

Enlightened
There's been a little discussion on this over in the Headlamps forum. Thought I'd share something I came up with after getting a couple Zebralights (SC51, and SC60w), and not really liking the ZL headband. I took an old cap of mine for trial and error and made a Zebralight hat. It works good and since I don't have any Zebralight headlamps as of yet, I can use the ones I do have, and enjoy in both a EDC role, and a headlamp if I so desire!

The SC51 clip holds really well, and since the SC60w is identical, it works too! The hat is obviously goofy looking without the light, but hey, it's not the one I usually wear anyway. :)

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
The iTP A3 comes with a snap-on clip. Reverse it, and it's a perfect headlamp on the top bill of a cap.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many more flashlights than headlamps, but headlamps work better for me in some situations.

One example is working on indoor electrical repairs/installations. Baseball style caps get in the way or fall off, for instance, when servicing electrical outlets at or near floor level. Besides, wearing a hat can become uncomfortable inside in hot weather.

I have a few Nite-Ize headbands, but adjusting the light in the vertical plane is difficult at best.

The floody nature of some headlamps works better close up for me than the hot spot of a conventional flashlight.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many more flashlights than headlamps, but headlamps work better for me in some situations.

One example is working on indoor electrical repairs/installations. Baseball style caps get in the way or fall off, for instance, when servicing electrical outlets at or near floor level. Besides, wearing a hat can become uncomfortable inside in hot weather.

I have a few Nite-Ize headbands, but adjusting the light in the vertical plane is difficult at best.

The floody nature of some headlamps works better close up for me than the hot spot of a conventional flashlight.

Ditto...up close work, bending over, tilting head, crawling, etc., my Minimus goes on. I mostly use the "Ball Cap" method for walking trails/cooking on the grill, where I know I'll be standing up mst of the time.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I use my HDS light on my cap very often and have worn it that way all day long. It works very well on most projects but I find it needing a little more flood for some close up tasks. Its THE one light I don't leave home without.

pageyjim

Enlightened
For my cap I usually use my L1A or ITP SA1. L1A has a two way clip which is nice. The side switch on the SA1 is handy too.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try this:
25072009121.jpg

but make sure it's very very dark when you go out in public

pageyjim

Enlightened
Does anybody know of a twoway clip similar to Lumintop LA1-SC1 or Eagletac T10C that will fit on a Zebralight? I will be eternally indebted.

Latest posts