Flashcell mod

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
I use a Coleman flashcell screwdriver quite a bit. It uses super capacitors for power charges in 90 seconds output is 5.4v.

Is anyone familiar with these? It seems simple to mod in to a homemade 5.11 supercap light, but before i tear it apart i figured i would check here.

Thanks
Uberlumens

Kremer

Enlightened
I have two of them and have had them open. They are very easy to get into and are quite simple on the inside. I've thought a few times about replacing the switch with a toggle and exchanging the gearbox for a multimode dropin of some sort.

If you get one and open it up i suggest putting a bulb across the two terminals at the tail (they are live and not resistored or fused) and drain the caps down to 0V. Those caps are rated for something like 200A short circuit while there isn't much voltage they could do some damage on a short while you mess with the wiring.

Last edited:

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kremer,

I will drain the caps before i start. (i guess thats why they were discontinued.)

maybe i can use that end to test a few setups since its direct access.

Kremer

Enlightened
I'm surprised they haven't been more popular and Demain hasn't built other tool variants. I was looking forward to a flashlight version among a couple other useful things.

I use the heck out of my two ( one on my desk at work and one at home)

Latest posts