Making the most of my Malkoff Maglite?

Driver609

Newly Enlightened
Just the other day I started my addiction, ordering a Malkoff dropin for my much abused old Mag 2D. I'm loving it so far, but, as with all addictions, I just want a little more... just a little.

So, what can I do to get more out of my light and give it even more throw? Lenses? Batteries? Other stuff? I would like to keep it looking as stock as possible because I love the look on my workmates faces when they are pointing their little firefly output regular mags at things, then I pull out mine and blind everyone from what looks like a normal mag.

So, options? Enlighten me!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Three things come to mind.

Put a UCL lens on front

Max out the voltage (depending on the dropin model you have)

Switch from alkaline to NiMH batteries​

But each is twice the work for half the results. You're already 90% to maximum.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want to wow people try having a light less than half the size of a maglite with an xm-l led you'll be scorching retinas for sure. Instead of upgrading the mag I'd leave it as is. The only way to get more appreciable throw out of a maglite is to make it aspheric and that will be expensive and severely limit its usefulness.

Instead get another flashlight. Invest in a decent set of lithium ion batteries, a pair of 18650's is a good start, and a charger. This will open you up to a whole new range of possibilities. To try out the latest and greatest led from Cree is actually quite affordable if you go to dealextreme. Keep in mind that they are not the absolute best when it comes to quality but with a little bit of work the majority of their lights are pretty good and for me have been for the most part 100% reliable after doing a little work on them. The Uniquefire M9 XM-L on dealextreme looks to be a decent throwy XM-L light, sku. 55848. At only $30 it's about as cheap as you can get to try out the XM-L led. There are cheaper but they're usually in the P60 drop in range which tend to be crippled by poor heat transfer issues when it comes to high powered units and are not very throwy.

Driver609

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the replies. A Thrunite Catapult is on my list of must haves, so I'll wait till then and retire my old light. Next up is a IFE2 though, so it'll get a bit more use for a while. Cheers!