Help out a newbie.. LED dropin for a weapons light

mjn

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a 6P. It is the 80 lumen version. I'd like to turn this into a strong light for my AR. What I'd like to see is output equal to, or greater than my Fenix PD31 that's mounted on my shotgun. Looking for real good throw, with decent spill... trying to keep the investment as low as I can but still end up with a reliable weapons light.. Three modes max; low, high, and maybe strobe. I'll keep the CR123's in it.

There are so dang many choices when I search.. just thought this might be easier.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Help out a newbie.. 6P mod

mjn, I'm going to move your thread to /LED flashlights/ and rename the thread title slightly. You'll find many threads on LED dropins for the 6P in that subforum, which is by far the most popular subforum for your particular topic.

In regards to your question, the SolarForce or Nailbender dropins are usually a good budget option, but since you are talking about a weapons light, there are very very few choices. The various Malkoff dropins are considered to be the best for this type of application (i.e. weapon mounting), but if the Anto XP-G dropins are 'potted', you might find those of interest as well - I believe that they might slightly out-throw the new-production Malkoffs and have had positive reviews IIRC.

Either way, you don't have many choices with regards to multimode operation. Weapon lights aren't a good application for multiple output modes IMO.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

mjn

Newly Enlightened

Absolutely no problem.. I wasn't sure exactly what forum to put this in..

The Malkoff drop in's do look to be the best built... visually anyway.. all brass construction etc...'

Regarding the Anto XP-G... what do you mean by "potted"?

Also.. is there anything else that I need to get to make this "mod" work? Do I just pick up the drop in of my choice, stick it in place of the OE and I'm done?

Thanks again!

NE450No2

Enlightened

I have been well pleased with the Lumens Factory D26LED.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

... what do you mean by "potted"?

Potted means that the electronics are encased in a special polymer. This makes the electronics resistant to vibration and shock, i.e. helps negate the recoil. It is also in case the waterproofing seals leak and water gets in.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having owned several different version of the Malkoff drop-ins, the newer M61 is a good balance of flood and throw.