ThruNite Neutron 1C - review (BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISON AND MEASUREMENTS)

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

Neutron 1C provided by ThruNite for review.

• Voltage range: 0.9V ~ 4.2V
• Powered by: 1 Cr123A battery
• LED Emitter: Premium Cree XM-L T6
• OP reflector
• Stainless steel Bezel
• Dimensions
-Length: 3.5 inches 90mm
-Diameter: 0. 87 inches 22mm
-Weight: 45g without battery
• 5 Current Regulated Output Levels
• 2 Flash modes: Strobe, SOS
• Reverse switch
• Square threads for lifetime smooth operation
• Type III Hard Anodized finish
• sapphire coating lens
• IPX-8 Waterproofing
• T-6061 Aircraft-grade Aluminum Body
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Two modes (7types) of output, generation/turbo
- General Mode: 0.09lumens (100hrs) 9 lumens (33hrs) -> 50 lumens (6hrs) -> 120lumens (2.1hrs) -> SOS
• - Turbo Mode: 255 Lumens -> Strobe
• Price ~60$/55E

The light comes in a small cardboard box and i found also a lanyard, an holster, four O-rings and an instructions manual.

The size is slightly above average but still compact and suitable for EDC.

CONSTRUCTION

I immediately observed the high overall quality and after a detailed inspection I can confirm this assessment. The anodizing and details are perfect, the parts are very well assembled. The ergonomics are excellent, you can hold easily thanks to greater lengths. There isn't clip and the design is clean, the Neutron 1C rolls on flat surface.
The Neutron 1C is composed of three parts: head, battery tube and tailcap.

The end of the head is protected by a 2.10 mm thick stainless steel bezel. The crenelation is little aggressive, suitable for an EDC flashlight. The lens is well recessed in the head, it is distant about 5mm from the end of the bezel and it's protected from the impacts.

The Orange Peel reflector is very deep in relation to the diameter and houses a Cree LED XM L-T6 well centered.

Positive pole.

The threads are stout and have square section. At the rear they are anodized, so you have just to unscrew the tailcap to prevent accidental activations. At the head they aren't anodized to allow the passage of current. Threads work flawlessly.

The thicknesses are good, Neutron is a robust EDC, it's able to withstand intensive use.

Knurling has diamond shape and is quite aggressive and widespread. The grip is secure.

On the negative pole there is a spring and you can access the switch by unscrewing the metal ring through the two holes.

The rubber button is flat and thin. It tends to swell and stick out too much, compromising the ability of the torch to tail stand. I tried to slowly tighten the parts holding the button but a little air still remains inside Neutron. I can easily press the button thanks to the shape of the final part of tailcap. There are four holes to ensure a lanyard..

USER INTERFACE

The flashlight has two modes. The "general" mode, which is accessed by unscrewing slightly the head, includes four levels of constant light and the SOS level. The minimum level is very low, good for walk in the house at night. It seems very little intense because of the floody beam shape. The other three levels are little spaced and I have the impression that 9 lumens level is actually more powerful. Only in this mode there is the auto memorizing function of the last level used.
With fully tightened head we access to the "turbo" mode that includes max level and the strobe.
The reverse switch does not allow momentary on. To change level you simply press partially the button.
The interface is versatile and complete thanks to the broad range of levels. The only drawback in my opinion is the auto memorizing function that forces me to pass through levels I do not need, including SOS.

OUTPUT

Brightness

The luminous flux is considerable. The Neutron 1C puts out a flood of light and fully meets my expectations. I measured a current of 1.21 ampere at tailcap using a charged 16340 (4.14 V).
Tint
A very Cool White tint that leads to a blue note.
Beam
Despite the deep reflector, the beam is very floody. The spot is huge, very intense and it degrades very gently to the spill. The spill has a normal width and is very bright. Given the great power, the flashlight can illuminate well at medium-short range.

MEASUREMENTS

This time I took some measurements using a cheap luxmeter. I tried to be as accurate as possible. I made the classic "ceiling bounce test" pointing flashlights at the ceiling and measuring the intensity of ambient light. It's not a very precise test, however, it gives a good idea.
For a more comfortable reading I have done a very rough output estimate, based on "HDS Ra Clicky high CRI" output: 100 lumens.

After this test I hold the torches trying to assess the heat. The 1C works very well with both batteries (primary and rechargeable), it's only warm to the touch, much more fresher then Nitecore and Jetbeam. Flashlights were not cooled during the test.

Then I measured the lux at 1m. I waited 30 seconds before recording the measurement.

Neutron 1C- CR123A: 1870
Neutron 1C- aw16340: 2260
Nitecore EX11- CR123A: 1690
Jetbeam Jet1Pro V3.0 Q3 OP- aw14500: 4610
HDS Ra Clicky high CRI- aw16340: 2410

Despite the small reflector (even if it's deep) and the led XM-L, the Neutron is able to overcome the threshold of 2000 lux which allow to see well at a reasonable distance.
So much power has a price, in this case we speak about runtime. I estimate about 40m of runtime on max due to high current absorption (1,2ampere with 16340 charged). I think it's a value more than acceptable.

BEAMSHOTS

I decided to compare four flashlights with four different LEDs. The Nitecore uses a CR123A battery while the others use aw16340 (the jetbeam uses a aw14500). All cells are fully charged. The white balance was set to "sunlight" in all pictures except the last set (ceiling bounce) where I set the white balance on "auto".

First Set 32 meters from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,8s ISO 400)

Second set (18mm f/3.5 0,8s ISO 400)

Third set (18mm f/3.5 1/4s ISO 400)

Fourth set (18mm f/3.5 1/20s ISO 400)

Ceiling bounce (55mm f/5.6 0,6s ISO 400)

CONCLUSION

The Neutron 1C is a very well built flashlight and it's sturdy. The only drawback is the rubber button which could be improved.
The power is remarkable and the flashlight supports it without problems, without becoming hot in a short time. I think that throw is good for the type of torch, but I do not recommend to lovers of the long distances because the Neutron exhalts itself in the medium-short range. The UI has lots of levels and it's versatile even if it could be more immediate without auto memorizing function.
A good flashlight which worth its full price. Thereby I promote Neutron 1C which could become perfect with some minor modifications and perhaps with a nice Neutral White LED.

mrlysle

Enlightened
mefistofele86, you're getting to be quite the reviewer! Great job! I've been contemplating one of the these Neutron models for awhile now. I think you just shoved me over the fence! LOL Really a great review and I like that the 1C could run off RCR123's as well. Well gotta go. Can't order a flashlight talking to you! Thanks for the time you put into your review!

woofwoof

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your informative review. I think I may have to get one of these. Though I may go for the 1AA version to have the flexibility of running both 14500 and Eneloops. Any idea if the soft rubber boot can be replaced with a more substantial one?

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
mefistofele86, you're getting to be quite the reviewer! Great job! I've been contemplating one of the these Neutron models for awhile now. I think you just shoved me over the fence! LOL Really a great review and I like that the 1C could run off RCR123's as well. Well gotta go. Can't order a flashlight talking to you! Thanks for the time you put into your review!

Thank you very much Jeff, i really appreciate your words :D

mrlysle

Enlightened
Oops! internet connection prob. I'll try this again. Mods, please delete this post. Seems I'm getting a bad "hang" when I try to submit a reply, thus end up with double posts.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
You're more than welcome! I like your reviews! :thumbsup: BTW, do you know what the runtime is supposed to be on Turbo, Max? I was just looking at the specs on GoingGear's website, and I can't find, or didn't see what the runtime is supposed to be on max, 255 lumens? Have you done a runtime test or have any idea what I might expect? Thanks again!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review thanks. I have a question that may not get answered. I'd like this light better if it had a forward clicky. Does thrunite make a forward clicky switch as an option? I haven't seen one. Also, does anyone know if the thrunite head legos with a quark body?

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
You're more than welcome! I like your reviews! :thumbsup: BTW, do you know what the runtime is supposed to be on Turbo, Max? I was just looking at the specs on GoingGear's website, and I can't find, or didn't see what the runtime is supposed to be on max, 255 lumens? Have you done a runtime test or have any idea what I might expect? Thanks again!

Hi Jeff, i can estimate runtime on max (255ansi lumens), i suppose about 40min because of high current draw (1,2ampere at tailcap). I can't make accurate runtime test because i haven't enough batteries and i can't abuse them for now. I would like to buy a better luxmeter and then batteries.

Great review thanks. I have a question that may not get answered. I'd like this light better if it had a forward clicky. Does thrunite make a forward clicky switch as an option? I haven't seen one. Also, does anyone know if the thrunite head legos with a quark body?

Thanks :D ThruNite does not make a forward clicky for Neutrons and i'm quite sure that Quark and Neutron threads are different so they aren't legoable but i haven't got a quark flashlight.

LeifUK

Enlightened
Very informative.

See the review section for another excellent review with runtime plots.