Sorry to do this, but EDC AA light?

christofurr

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys.

This is my first post, but I've spent a lot of time here trawling for info before finally deciding to sign up, probably to the detriment of my wallet :sssh:

I'm in the market for an "EDCable" AA flashlight. I'm basing my purchase around emergency situations above anything else as AA's are practically everywhere, and after both the Christchurch quake not far to the south of me and the Japan quake, finding batteries in TV remotes and in stores etc are key in my thinking (CR123 batteries are nigh impossible to find here in New Zealand, yet alone when you need them).

Currently I own a 4sevens AA2 Tactical which is more of a bag carry item, but other than it's size it's great and was a great upgrade from a way-too-long-in-the-tooth Maglite (a wallet destroyer too, apparently :shakehead). I've been through both a 4sevens AA Mini and Preon 1, which I've given to both my parents to ensure they were both always with light, so It's now time I got one to keep on me all the time.

This is getting long (sorry). Right now I'm kind of torn. A 4sevens AA regular is tempting for it's lego-ability and spares with what I've got, but I have an AA barrel and I find it's just too thick to have in my pocket (and the 4sevens pocket clip is very mediocre).
Right now I'm very keen on the Jetbeam E3S for it's gorgeous finish and simple two modes, which are right about where I'd like them to be (I leave my AA2 on moonlight and max, so the two options middle this nicely). But I'm also tempted by the Jetbeam PA01 and the Fenix LD15 as alternative options. But I'll admit that in my "freshness" to this field, I'm not aware of all the options.

Basically, can any of you talk me out (through words or photos) of the Jetbeam E3S for an every day jean pocket 1xAA flashlight?

Last edited:

okwchin

Newly Enlightened
E3S is about the best looking SS torch around IMO, simple elegant beauty, with a great solid build and feel.

The size is good for pockets, it really does fit quite well, the reverse tail clicky is about as positive as they get with a really nice click, and the mode change is simple and easy.

However I wouldn't buy one for an EDC because its too heavy and its maybe too smooth for when your wearing gloves or have slippery hands. The Low isnt quite low enough for my liking, more like an every day brightness level, but not a pure night reading level by any standard.

I would consider the following (based on the need for the most compact AA available)

Twisties - ITP A2, Maratac AA, Quark Mini (not Ti) - Twisties are really compact, but you need to know if you will like twisties as a whole. Klarus AAA SS, Nitecore EZAA (early and late models)

Clickies (that come to mind) - E3S, Jetbeam PA01 (functionally pretty much the same torch as the E3S in Alum)

Im not very well versed in the compacts (I've really been focusing on getting Nitecore D10 for its UI). I find the D10 a EDCable size, but I find that I know its there, and it can only really be carried via the clip. I have the Maratac AA SS, and that really disappears in my pockets, especially important for jeans, however I'm not a big fan of twisties. Switched torches just need the extra 10mm length for the switch, and this is relevant.

Im sure many people will have many other torches to recommend, but these are a start.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot go wrong with Jetbeam :rock:

I use my RRT0 as my EDC its uses 1x AA 180lm jetbeam realy finish there lights to a very high level I plan on getting them all lol

cheers

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if those lights are noticeably thinner then the Quark AA body (or if any AA light is significantly thinner than another).

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD15 is an excellent choice if you don't mind it starting on high (which kinda makes sense if it's an emergency light). I once lost mine for 2 days: I forgot to take it out of my jeans pocket, since I couldn't feel it was still in there when I took them off...

obus

Newly Enlightened
Why not get the 4sevens aa tactical if you like the 2aa version. I've been wanting to buy one but i think i will be waiting for them to get the R5 again.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
You cannot go wrong with Jetbeam :rock:

I use my RRT0 as my EDC its uses 1x AA 180lm jetbeam realy finish there lights to a very high level I plan on getting them all lol

cheers

+1

As I always say, Jetbeam is my fav Chinese brand, but getting warranty service directly from them (as with many manufacturers) is a nightmare. As long as you buy from a REPUTABLE DEALER that will stand behind their products, you will be fine. I love all of my Jets.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The RRT-0 is MASSIVE: Its as long as the SC60w on CR123, and longer than the S-mini on AA! (Both 1x18650 lights).
I suggest the Thrunite 1A, Quark AA mini, or Zebralight SC51w.
Zebralight 200 lumens, Thrunite 240, AA mini-90ish.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Quark AA gets my vote also. I've had one on my keychain for about a year now. I did have to add a short lanyard to avoid bulk in one spot in my pocket, and the lanyard allows me to hang the light off the turn signal stalk on my car, avoiding the dreaded too-heavy-keys damage to the ignition lock (which doesn't seem to ba factor in my make of car...). Attaching a snap toggle to the key ring makes it easy to detach the Q during extended use; it's actually quite a handy setup.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The zebralight sc50w+ currently has a nice price. Seems like they try to sell out the sc30/sc50 series. ordered one yesterday :p

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 SC51w
+1 Quark AA Tactical

Own both, love both. The ZL is a little smaller and a little floodier. The Quark takes both AAs and 14500 Li Ion. I have the Quark in the S2 which isn't terrible but I would prefer a more neutral tint.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
OK, the LD15 was mentioned.. why not a Nitecore D11? I bought one.. on paper it looks better and seems to be great so far..?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look into a Peak El Capitan. very small, high output in a #8, momentary option, with a twist for full on. Put a QTC pill in it and its infinitely variable.
You can get a pocket clip from overready, if you choose.
Choice of metals, Al HA, SS, Brass, or Ti!

imaposer

Newly Enlightened
(I've really been focusing on getting Nitecore D10 for its UI)

I've posted on other forums looking for the same suggestion, and the nitecore D10 comes up all the time. But, I guess they are discontinued, as everywhere I look I find the D11. Is there something wrong with it? If it was an upgrade over the D10, why don't I ever read anything about it?

I'm looking for something to leave in my bag at work, and also to carry on me as EDC. I'm overwhelmed with choices, and realize I most likely can't go wrong with anything I have read recommendations on, but I don't want to order two of something wrong. :eek:

pblanch

Enlightened
Another +1 to LD15.

Hides under my wallet and is great with enloops. 8cm long and simple twisty. Very good looking, wont seem out of place when wearing a suit. High and low modes. AA battery. Watch some utube review on it nice and simple user interface. I don't like torches that have an interface you need 20 minutes to learn (maybe an exaggeration) You get used to starting in high. Lasts a long time. Head heats up when using fresh batteries but not big a concern to me (NZ is cold) as will be holding it.

If you were looking at something a little bigger (10cm Ha) then consider an fenix LD10. More power options and love the clicky.

Go the LD15 anyway.

Addit. I also carry a E05 on my keyring. Great light for such a small light. 2 is 1. 1 is none. Or something like that.

Last edited: