EagleTac M3C4 Plastic Cap

El Paso Eric

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks,

I just joined CPF, but have been a long-time reader. I've built several flashlights (mainly for astronomy) and have followed LED development since my first free red LED sample from TI, many years ago (which is still blinking on an old LM3909 I built 25 years ago).

I was looking at the Eagletac M3C4, which looks like a super light, and meets my requirements for work. But I'm not so sure that the plastic end cap was a move in the right direction. I've read several threads about this, but was wondering if there are any new opinions on this plastic cap.

Thanks & I look forward to being a regular contributor here...

Eric

HIDblue

Enlightened
El Paso...I can't seem to find my old thread about my difficulties with the plastic tail cap and the dreaded stripped hex screws, but I would definitely say it was a step in the wrong direction for ET given that the previous models had sturdier metal tail caps from what I understand. It's odd since the rest of the light is built pretty solid. Luckily, my dealer replaced mine under warranty.

With that being said and putting the tail cap issue aside, I really like my M3C4 triple XP-G. It still feels a little awkward to hold with the optional clicky tail cap attached, but it throws out a literal wall of light. Very bright with a good tint. I believe the new triple XM-L versions are now even rated at over 1,000 ANSI Lumens.

If you don't plan on changing the stock flat tail cap, then you shouldn't have a problem with it. If you do decide to swap the flat tail cap with the clicky tail cap to avoid the parasitic drain issues...just be very, very, very careful when removing/installing the hex screws.

Oh, and :welcome: