Which rather compact light gives good throw on NiMH AA batteries?

licht55

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a practical light with good throw and took the questions from the flashlight recommendation list (thanks for it), in some cases added to the answers:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X___Less than $150.
_X___I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.

3) Format:

_X___I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_X___Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
_X___Holster carry.

* Max. length: 200 mm (8 in)
* Max. head diameter: 70 mm (2.8 in)
* Max. body tube diameter: 50 mm (2 in)

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X___LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

* 2 - 8 NiMH AA

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

* I want good throw, it could be reached by high total output or better collimation. See 9)

_x___I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X___I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_x___I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_x___I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X___50-150 yards/meters
_X___150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

* I want a light that has a significantly higher intensity than the turbo mode of the Fenix LD20, and this should be in a sustainable mode (non-turbo). So I guess peak beam intensity should be at least 5000 cd.
This should be a mode with constant brightness (regulated) that can be used for e. g. an hour without the light getting too warm.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

_X___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_x___3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_x___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

* Clicky preferred

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

* Single mode would be OK (I would then carry another (head) light for short range). Several brightness levels and strobe would be nice to have.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_X___I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

_x_(nice to have)___Red filter (for preserving night vision).
_x_(nice to have)___Holster

* nice to have: Diffusor that can be easily moved in or out of the beam

What I have found searching is the Fenix TK41 (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...New-Fenix-XM-L-flashlights-TK21-TK41-and-TK70), but it is somewhat large for me. If there was a smaller (and maybe cheaper) option, I would prefer it, even if it has less total light output and a more narrow beam.

I would be thankful for your recommendations and comments!

srfreddy

Enlightened
Fenix TK41, a VERY good thrower, to be released. 8xAA though. The Sunwayman M30A is a nicely collimated 3xAA side by side, probably a good thrower, but lower output. Has the nice Sunwayman Ui.

imaposer

Newly Enlightened
Not to jump in on your thread, but my want form would be nearly identical. That FENIX TK41 looks dang near perfect, but is there anything like it that doesn't have so many modes? I just want a high/low choice. No need for the strobes/sos modes. :confused:

srfreddy

Enlightened
Not to jump in on your thread, but my want form would be nearly identical. That FENIX TK41 looks dang near perfect, but is there anything like it that doesn't have so many modes? I just want a high/low choice. No need for the strobes/sos modes. :confused:
:welcome: The TK41's strobe/SOS modes are Hidden, AFAIK.

licht55

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK41, a VERY good thrower, to be released. 8xAA though. The Sunwayman M30A is a nicely collimated 3xAA side by side, probably a good thrower, but lower output. Has the nice Sunwayman Ui.
Thanks for your response. I have searched for th Sunwayman M30A and found it has a nice size that would fit my requirements very well. It also looks like a high quality product.
I have noticed it has a structured reflector, though ( at Sunwayman.com ), so I wonder how much throw it has. I could not find any information on its peak beam intensity (only light output which is slightly higher than that of my LD20 R4). Do you have such data on the light, or other information on its throw?
Thanks again.

srfreddy

Enlightened
One of the graphs here shows throw, and has beamshots. The M40A has a MUCH higher output, and only slightly lower output, which could be a good option.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
For a somewhat pocketable size you are most likely looking at a 2-cell light. For throw you will want the highest spot lux. Most 2xAA lights nowadays use XP-G emitters which is okay for a general purpose beam, but it wont have high spot lux numbers. The best in terms of throw that come to mind are XP-E and XR-E. I can tell you from first hand experience the Eagletac P100A2 (~$40) is probably the most "throwiest" 2xAA light. Another possibility would be the 4Sevens AA2 Turbo (~$75). The M30A despite the OP reflector will also have high spot lux due to the larger reflector size.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Fenix LD40 as well.
207M ANSI throw = 103.5M selfbuilt throw = 10712 lux.

The Eagletac 20A2 (R2) with smooth reflector is 88M selfbuilt throw 7700 lux.
From 2xAA Round-up Review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nix-Nitecore-Olight-ITP-Eagletac-Jetbeam-Mag-...

A bit big at 10" and not too bright but the latest MagLED 2D can throw
298M ANSI = 149M selfbuilt throw = 22201 lux.
A 2C version is supposed to be coming out.

licht55

Newly Enlightened
One of the graphs here shows throw, and has beamshots. The M40A has a MUCH higher output, and only slightly lower output, which could be a good option.
Thanks for the link!
However I am confused by the throw numbers, it is said "Here I have measured lux at 4 meters to get a estimate of throw..." and the numbers show ca. 50 for the M30A and ca. 60 for the TK40: Which property is shown and in which unit? It cannot be lux at 4 m - my LD20 R4 already has 160 lx at 4 m, corresponding to ca. 2500 cd, and it is not really a thrower. It cannot be cd or kcd either, the TK40 should have ca. 20 kcd. And it cannot be beam distance to 0.25 lx (20 kcd: 283 m) nor beam distance to 1 lx (20 kcd: 141 m).
How can I compare those number to my LD20?

AaronG

Enlightened
For significantly higher output than a LD20 and still keeping with an EDC size you should probably consider an 18650 or 2 cr123 type light. There are high powered AA type lights but they get pretty hefty in weight and size.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Thanks for the link!
However I am confused by the throw numbers, it is said "Here I have measured lux at 4 meters to get a estimate of throw..." and the numbers show ca. 50 for the M30A and ca. 60 for the TK40: Which property is shown and in which unit? It cannot be lux at 4 m - my LD20 R4 already has 160 lx at 4 m, corresponding to ca. 2500 cd, and it is not really a thrower. It cannot be cd or kcd either, the TK40 should have ca. 20 kcd. And it cannot be beam distance to 0.25 lx (20 kcd: 283 m) nor beam distance to 1 lx (20 kcd: 141 m).

I don't think you can. His numbers are relative.

srfreddy

Enlightened
For significantly higher output than a LD20 and still keeping with an EDC size you should probably consider an 18650 or 2 cr123 type light. There are high powered AA type lights but they get pretty hefty in weight and size.

Output does not = throw.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'd be worse than the ld20 q5 but compatible to the r5 lol

In the ld20 the smooth reflector is a bad thing, but in an L2r and xre itd help it some.

I'd go with a Quark AA2 tactical, it'll be better than your ld20 but still relatively small.
Romisen has a small light with an aspheric lens if you want the cheep route ;) but you'll be back in a few weeks wanting more lights. :naughty: I don't think the Romisen would hold it's own against your ld20 even if it could outthrow it

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link!
You can not compare CD with lux or throw.
You can get throw from lux.
Selfbuilt, Quickbeam (flashlight reviews) and most of CPF: Throw is the distance you get 1 lux.
ANSI (maglight, Fenix) Throw is the distance you get 0.25 lux.
Luckily 1 Selfbuilt throw = 2 ANSI throw so we can compare.
From Fenix output chart for the LD20 R5 ANSI throw is 110 M. (I can't find the one for R4).
This corresponds to a Selfbuilt measurement of 55 M. Or 3025 lux.
LD20-R5-output.jpg

I took the lux at 4 meters graph and calculated the throw in both Selfbuilt and ANSI so you can compare.

EDIT - IMPORTANT
licht55 sent me a PM, I had used the wrong graph. I have updated the numbers below but they seem rather low. I found some of selbuilt's measurements and they are quite different - much higher. I do not think we can use these numbers to compare with the Fenix official numbers.
LD20 R5 ANSI throw is 110 M from Fenix.
TK45 ANSI throw is 44 M from the graph.
the Fenix TK45 for our purposes is similar to 3*LD20s strapped together or have similar throw. Not 40% of the LD20.
Looks like we can not use the graph to compare.

The full list is here:

Sunwayled M30A,
Lux @ 4M 40
Lux @ 1M 640
Throw (selfbuilt) 25
Throw (ANSI) 50

Sunwayled M40A,
Lux @ 4M 30
Lux @ 1M 480
Throw (selfbuilt) 22
Throw (ANSI) 44

Sunwayled M40C,
Lux @ 4M 30
Lux @ 1M 480
Throw (selfbuilt) 22
Throw (ANSI) 44

Fenix TK40,
Lux @ 4M 60
Lux @ 1M 960
Throw (selfbuilt) 31
Throw (ANSI) 62

Fenix TK45,
Lux @ 4M 30
Lux @ 1M 480
Throw (selfbuilt) 22
Throw (ANSI) 44

ThruNite Catapult V2,
Lux @ 4M 80
Lux @ 1M 1280
Throw (selfbuilt) 36; Selfbuilt measured 166
Throw (ANSI) 72

OLight M31,
Lux @ 4M 120
Lux @ 1M 1920
Throw (selfbuilt) 44
Throw (ANSI) 88

OLight SR90,
Lux @ 4M 330
Lux @ 1M 5280
Throw (selfbuilt) 73; Selfbuilt measured 179/335
Throw (ANSI) 145

OLight SR91,
Lux @ 4M 180
Lux @ 1M 2880
Throw (selfbuilt) 54
Throw (ANSI) 107

JetBeam RRT-3,
Lux @ 4M 80
Lux @ 1M 1280
Throw (selfbuilt) 36
Throw (ANSI) 72

JetBeam M2S,
Lux @ 4M 60
Lux @ 1M 960
Throw (selfbuilt) 31
Throw (ANSI) 62

Titanium L35,
Lux @ 4M -
Lux @ 1M -
Throw (selfbuilt) -
Throw (ANSI) -

Xtar D30 Howitzer,
Lux @ 4M 60
Lux @ 1M 960
Throw (selfbuilt) 31
Throw (ANSI) 62

EagleTac M2XC4.
Lux @ 4M 70
Lux @ 1M 1120
Throw (selfbuilt) 33; Selfbuilt measured 164
Throw (ANSI) 67

Last edited:

licht55

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all of you for your responses!

For a somewhat pocketable size you are most likely looking at a 2-cell light. For throw you will want the highest spot lux. Most 2xAA lights nowadays use XP-G emitters which is okay for a general purpose beam, but it wont have high spot lux numbers. The best in terms of throw that come to mind are XP-E and XR-E. I can tell you from first hand experience the Eagletac P100A2 (~$40) is probably the most "throwiest" 2xAA light. Another possibility would be the 4Sevens AA2 Turbo (~$75). The M30A despite the OP reflector will also have high spot lux due to the larger reflector size.

Yes, I like the size of my 2AA LD20. In order to get more throw (optionally also more output) from NiMH AA I would be willing to accept a somewhat larger size, up to ca. length: 200 mm (8 in), head diameter: 70 mm (2.8 in), body tube diameter: 50 mm (2 in).

The Eagletac P100A2 seems to be quite focused. If at http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_p100a2/ "6860 Lux" means "6860 Lux at 1 m" (6860 cd), then it has a Beam Distance (ANSI throw to 0.25 lx) of 166 m. And this is quite a bit further than my LD20 R4 which I have measured to have approximately 2600 cd (102 m) (Could not find official numbers per ANSI-NEMA FL-1 standard, probably Fenix started using that between the R4 and the R5 version).

The Quark AA², S2 Edition seems to be quite versatile with its highly different levels of output. Its throw is stated on http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=2499 to be 2980 cd / 108 m, which is close to the LD20.

You can not compare CD with lux or throw.
You can get throw from lux.
Selfbuilt, Quickbeam (flashlight reviews) and most of CPF: Throw is the distance you get 1 lux.
ANSI (maglight, Fenix) Throw is the distance you get 0.25 lux.
Luckily 1 Selfbuilt throw = 2 ANSI throw so we can compare.

My understanding is: A light with good throw has a high Beam Distance, meaning a distance at which the illuminance falls to a certain defined level (0.25 lx for the ANSI-NEMA FL-1 standard, 1 lx for Selfbuilt, Quickbeam) and a high Peak Beam Intensity / luminous intensity, which can be stated in lx at 1 m or cd. A single light source with 1 cd casts an illuminance of 1 lx on an area at 1 m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux#Lux_versus_footcandle). So a Peak Beam Intensity of "1 lx at 1 m" is one of 1 cd. Beam Distance and Peak Beam Intensity are not independent of each other but related as described on http://flashlight-wiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1#Beam_Distance .

srfreddy

Enlightened
The numbers LED ninja posted can't be right: Same lux for TK40 and TK45 (Selfbuilt didn't even test the TK40!). The LD40 is a good light.