Do you prefer the HDS Rotary UI over the HDS Clicky UI???

Which HDS UI do you prefer???

• I prefer the new Rotary UI!

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • I prefer the Clicky UI!

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • I love both UIs equally!

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Screw the Clicky & Rotary - give me an updated Twisty!!!

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys, still on the fence here and as the new Rotary is shipping and arriving, just curious...

For those of you that have BOTH the HDS Clicky and the new Rotary, which UI do you prefer? Which will most likely get more pocket time?

Please only vote if you have both.

Thanks!
-Harry

Warmlite

Newly Enlightened
I would really like to see the responses of loyal HDS flashaholics to this post!!!!
Insight needed:rolleyes:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been liking the Rotary thus far - it's great to dial in the exact amount of light needed for a task...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course the rotary. Anytime.

It's such a practical UI there is no need to think how to use it. I had mine set to

A) burst
B) rotary
C) emergency beacon
D) strobe

So now I have the ability to access any levels I want easily without having to reprogram the light. Much as I love my older clickies, I find myself trying to reprogram the levels once in awhile to suit certain scenarios. So yes, I will take the rotary anytime even though the clicky is tougher.

druidmars

Enlightened
Of course the rotary. Anytime.

It's such a practical UI there is no need to think how to use it. I had mine set to

A) burst
B) rotary
C) emergency beacon
D) strobe

So now I have the ability to access any levels I want easily without having to reprogram the light. Much as I love my older clickies, I find myself trying to reprogram the levels once in awhile to suit certain scenarios. So yes, I will take the rotary anytime even though the clicky is tougher.

Can you explain the meaning of tougher? Aren't they supposed to be equal in durability?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you explain the meaning of tougher? Aren't they supposed to be equal in durability?

They are the same in built throughout except that the rotary's rotating tail may not be as impact resistant as the clicky's. A few hard drops on the tail may or may not render the rotary function unusable. Henry has also acknowledged this fact. Something's got to give for the added convenience.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the clicky and over a 10 year time period, I'd bet money on a few more clicky HDSs surviving intact after hard use vs the rotary.

riccardo

Enlightened
After 2 years.. does anyone have anything to add?
Is the rotary really more fragile?

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
I own clickies and rotaries alike, but none really see any hard use/abuse. Just ordinary edc light duty.

FWIW, my rotary has never failed. I expect it to last a lifetime and stand up to whatever I throw at it . . .

broonzbane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the firmware bug on the initial launch of the rotary and which Henry had fixed, I have never had any other problems with my cool white rotary. The HCRI rotary which I received months ago has been on my belt daily, getting bumps and knocks and no issues too. I don't think the rotary version is any much less robust than the clicky, but I would be a little hesitant to submerge it in mud for fear that mud particles would get lodged in the rotary mechanism.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides if you're really concerned about crawling through mud and grit you could just set the rotary to level you wanted, wrap the rotary knob with a little bit of electrical tape, and call it a 4 Mode clicky until you get washed up.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides if you're really concerned about crawling through mud and grit you could just set the rotary to level you wanted, wrap the rotary knob with a little bit of electrical tape, and call it a 4 Mode clicky until you get washed up.
Sounds like a good idea but I have the legacy clickies to perform that duty. Just last year the high CRI clicky went through that ritual of bathing in mud when I have to crawl through the muddy flats. Mud got into the magazines in the pouch and got lodged in the barrel of the rifle, but the high CRI clicky survived unscathed although it was fully coated in mud.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 2 years.. does anyone have anything to add?
Is the rotary really more fragile?
In theory, yes. Practically speaking, probably not. The dial itself is actually a surprisingly simple mechanism and should easily withstand all but the most extreme abuse (for instance, crushing the dial so that it can no longer rotate), and in a worst case scenario, it can always be operated like a Clicky. I expect my Rotary to give me years of reliable service.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
:dedhorse: .........................................:laughing:

yep, and I'll keep beating that dead horse well into next year. I did buy a rotary and give it an honest try. Just to small for a holster and to nice to be a coat light. I like clipping my small lights to my cellphone case. ;)

In answer the Rotary is not fragile, I'd say its 95% as strong as its clicky counterpart. With a lifetime warranty and bulletproof construction I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited:

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
yep, and I'll keep beating that dead horse well into next year. I did buy a rotary and give it an honest try. Just to small for a holster and to nice to be a coat light. I like clipping my small lights to my cellphone case. ;)

In answer the Rotary is not fragile, I'd say its 95% as strong as its clicky counterpart. With a lifetime warranty and bulletproof construction I wouldn't sweat it.

+1

I like my rotary as much as my high cri cerakote clicky. But I never carry it because of the lack of a clip. Can't stand to have the light swimming around in the bottom of my pocket.

I'll help you flog the ever-living poop out of this horse until HDS gives us a solution worthy of installing on this light . . .

broonzbane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I failed to mention in my post above that I have dropped my cool white rotary many times. There are some dings on the rotary mechanism but it hasn't done any harm at all to the operation of the light.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Rotary has taken a couple of pretty hard shots to the dial, but it still works perfectly.