Need help for flashlight led upgrade

raven2751

Newly Enlightened
hi, i am new to the forums and am trying to upgrade my flashlight as it has from what i can tell a cheap cree like bulb.

i would like to put a CREE-XRE-W-PCB-Q5into it but i'm not sure if i would need to change the driver and if i do not sure which driver to use.

the flashlight is supposed to be a cree 5w with 270 lumens.

link to the flashlight i bought as from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5w-Cree-LED-B...isure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item35b06d0662
27032011050.jpg
27032011052.jpg
27032011062.jpg
27032011063.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My guess is you could put whatever LED you wanted to in it but may have to adjust the focus somehow if the LED sat higher/lower than what was in it. I see some resistors on your driver that you may be able to change to adjust the output if the driver ended up pushing too much through the LED perhaps (due to lower Vf).

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Swap away. The LED that is. Put whatever suits your fancy. You shouldn't need to change drivers. Though there are many drivers out there to play with and try. If your going to swap the LED I would go for a Cree xm-l.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, just going by what I can see in the pictures, you have minimal heatsinking and the claim of 270 lumens is nothing more than a very optimistic guess as to what that LED can put out if driven at full rated current (or overdriven!). I would say that you would be doing well to get any star mounted Cree LED to swap out the LED that is in there now. I don't think that the drive current is going to be an issue. My recomendation would be to go with an XP-G or XP-E. The larger die emitters will put out more total light, but, the hotspot, though dimmer, will grow and the spill beam slightly brighter as you go larger with the die. The LEDs, from smallest die to the largest that should work in this light are: XP-E (0.8mm^2), XR-E (0.8 or 1.0mm^2, depending on which one you get), XP-G (2.0mm^2), and XM-L (4mm^2). The XM-L puts out the most light per Watt, followed by the XP-G, followed by the remaining two. With the lack of heatsinking I would strongly recommend that you do not upgrade the driver unless you are going to use a low output driver of 350mA or less.

raven2751

Newly Enlightened
i think i'm going to go with the XP-G instead of the XR-E mainly due to space as the XP-G looks smaller in hight, i'll get one ordered then fit it, and i'll see if it needs a heatsink when it's running.