Warm or Neutral AA/123 suggestions needed

Vesper

Enlightened
My wife noticed my 8 yr old daughter had "adopted" my Zebralight SC50w for reading at night and asked why I'd never given her a light to keep on the bed-stand... My eyes lit up (!) to this unexpected request and I'm happily figuring out the right light for her. I think hands-down I'd buy her a Quark AA Tactical warm or neutral but they are rarely offered for long before being sold out. Defintely aren't available now (I want single battery model only).

I'd prefer AA but would also consider cr123a. The Quark tactical appeals to me for its simplicity. Easy to use forward clicky, set it and twist it to come on very low and it's good to go. Unlike my 2 Zebralights (which are dang near my favorite lights), there's nothing complicated about the Quark - just as it needs to be for her.

So.... What lights are out there that I'm not thinking of? Should be:

1) single AA or CR123A
2) forward clicky/piston for easy or momentary on
3) warm or neutral
4) a simple ui and be able to come on very low (1 lm or less) with one-hand operation

What would you suggest? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything other than the Quark (which isn't available). I'd like Sunwayman or Jetbeam, but can't find anything in the right tint. Thanks all.

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Why not another ZL, like an SC30w? It's the right size and she'd probably love it. Why bother with a twisty?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check shiningbeam's site... they have several nice inexpensive but reasonable quality lights, many for less than $25, and also have neutral options, and many are single mode so they'll be simple to operate.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Xeno E03. It uses 1 AA battery and can be had in cool, neutral, or warm. I have the neutral- and to me it's warm! THree modes. Comes on in medium, and it's excellent at that level. Less tha $30. Selfbuilt did a review recently.
Tactical HID is the seller. If you get one, spring for the diffuser- it's just great as a room light on low!

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Xeno E03 and the diffuser. Your daughter will love the red one. They are out of stock at the moment but a new shipment is due this week I think. Can't go wrong for the money. It has a reverse clicky though.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My wife noticed my 8 yr old daughter had "adopted" my Zebralight SC50w for reading at night and asked why I'd never given her a light to keep on the bed-stand...
What would you suggest? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything other than the Quark (which isn't available). I'd like Sunwayman or Jetbeam, but can't find anything in the right tint. Thanks all.

I say give her the SC50w, then upgrade yourself to the SC51!

Zebralights are to complicated UI for her taste, but I'll go check out the Xeno.
Flucero, your wife and more importantly, your daughter, are all correct! Give her the light that she has "adopted" and get yourself a replacement. If she's "adopted" it, then it's not too complicated at all.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you think the UI of the Zebralight is too complicated for your daughter if she has been using it to read with lately? Alternatively you might want to get her a H51Fw headlamp so her hands could be free while reading?