E1B? Check. T1A? Check. G2L? Check. Quark 123's? Check. What's next?

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

Currently this is what I own and how it's used:

Surefire Saint Minimus - in backpack survival kit
Surefire T1A Titan - bedside, occasional EDC
Surefire E1B Backp w/ diffusor - closet, occasional EDC
Surefire G2L 80 lm version - in backpack survival kit
4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical XP-G R5 - in wallet, EDC
4Sevens Quark 123 mini XP-G R5 - bicycle emergency kit
Gerber infinity ultra II - in backpack survival kit
Freedom Micro x2 - in backpack survival kit
eGear Pico light x3 - keychain, another in backpack survival kit
ITP EOS A3 R5 standard - backup wallet light, EDC

So my question is, what's next? I know _EVERYONE_ will say an HDS light. I plan on getting one. Please recommend something other than HDS.

I'm interested in some of the beamshots I've seen of Malkoff and Mac's stuff.

Although I like a good amount of throw, overall I much prefer very smooth and diffused lighting. I love bright, yet very dim is important also. Some seem to hate them, but I really like the CR123 cell.

So what should I grab next?

-Freq

Z-Tab

Enlightened
You don't seem to have a Warm or Neutral option. I'd suggest a Malkoff M31W in a VME head. A nearly perfect pairing for the E1B body.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2L AA. At 9 1/2 hours off 2 AA lithium batteries, it is a super long run time light for all the camping and trekking needs. Although rated at 80 lumen max, it sure is bright enough for most of the task needed on such a trip.

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
E2L AA definitely looks cool.

So where can I find out more about an nailbender XML?
-Freq

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You like both bright lights and low lows, how about the Thunite Scorpian XML, it has a moonlight mode, and a 460 lumens otf mode, looks sharp.
Thrunites nuetron series looks cool too.

Quarks X7 is another beauty, it's in the same size and output range as the scorpion.
Eagletac T20c2 XML is as well.

That's my favorite size of light :D everything the size of a surefire 6p or smaller ;)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender dropins are in the Custom modified BST area of CPF.

He runs them at about 3 amps, though he can make customize it for you some, number of modes, type of reflector, run it at 2.8 amps for better heat management, battery choices are limited but you can run 2 cr123 in some of his drivers

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should look into some of Peaks offerings. Thay are about to release a special QTC pill module to give infinite brightness control. USA made and solid as a rock.

nbp

Flashaholic
I would agree with those who mentioned P60 hosts; they are versatile, easily upgradeable, flexible platforms into which you can shove whatever guts you want to meet your needs, whatever they may be. Personally, I prefer the C2-HA to the 6P platform.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I recommend you toss the Surefire P60 module in the G2L and put in a Malkoff M61LL, almost the same output and 3x the runtime. Makes a good light even better. I use M61WLL (the warm tint version) in all my "survival" applications; BOB bag at work, BOB bag at home, and for camping/hiking/backpacking. When you really need one, nothing beats a durable light with reasonable brightness and long runtime.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Def get an HDS. Im going on my third one. :shakehead I cant stay away from these, They are by far the best light I have ever owned/used. And for the money, nothing in that price range can compete with it.

Acid87

Enlightened
Get an HDS light. They are built just are robustly as Surefire lights but are programmable to suit your needs. They are the rolls Royce of lights IMO. New rotary looks amazing too.

Steven

shane45_1911

Enlightened
C2 (or 6P) with an M61W, and a McClicky switch. No fancy multi-modes, no click-happy UI - just a good solid dependable light that will always work when you need it to.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't seem to have a Warm or Neutral option. I'd suggest a Malkoff M31W in a VME head. A nearly perfect pairing for the E1B body.
I agree with the warm recommendation. I only have one warm light, a Quark AA2 tactical, but I love the tint. Most of my purchases in the future will probably be warms if possible, or I may try a neutral.

carrot

Flashaholic
Haiku :D

Although I like a good amount of throw, overall I much prefer very smooth and diffused lighting. I love bright, yet very dim is important also. Some seem to hate them, but I really like the CR123 cell.
Meets your specs as well. A lot has been written about the Haiku and other McGizmo offerings. I think you will be surprised at how truly functional this beautiful light is.