Big light for a older Flashaholic

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
My Grandfather has always had multiple Maglites ... You know, one for the kitchen, bathroom, garage, saddle shop, workshop, gun shop, each car & one on him. I think I came by my love for flashlights honestly. This year, he is turning 80 ... Still doesn't look a day over 70 and still moves like he is 60 (And as I stated before, can still out shoot me in trap & target). At a recent family gathering, I suggested that we (kids/grandkids) chip in and buy him a new flashlight. Now, in some families, this would be considered a odd suggestion but, flashlights have been a gift that he has always enjoyed and appreciated.

Down to the brass tax.
I am looking for a big light ... Something that is more throw than flood but still puts off usable spill. My initial thoughts are the Olight M3X & the ThruNite Catapult V3 XML but as I have no experience with them, I am still unsure.

Here are the four major things that I am looking for.
700LM+ ANSI -or- OTF
Big Thrower with usable spill (No Aspherics)
TOUGH (holds up well in farming/shooting situations)
Under $170 (Still have to get LiFePo4 rechargeable batteries as well)

From what I have seen in GoingGear's videos, the M3X looks like it puts out more light but then again, those are videos. Any other lights I should be looking at?

Thanks again guys!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend that you take a look at the beamshots here: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?model=81&scene=1&mode=0
By clicking back and forth, you can do a side-by-side comparison of many of the lights you are considering.

I also recommend you take a look at the Fenix TK35. While it has a nice wide spill, it also sports considerable throw. At less than $100 (with CPF discount), it's tough to beat.

Good hunting!

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
I'll take a look at the TK35 thanks!

Also, I considered getting a malkoff dropin for his 6D cell Maglite but I want something with more punch than 260lm. Too bad there isn't a 500-600lm dropin for the Mag.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
No, the reflector is discarded. Looking back at your original request for throw over flood, I may have sent you down a rabbit hole...

srfreddy

Enlightened
The upcoming Fenix TK41 would be a good option-outthrows the Catapult V3 and the TK35, just about ties the M3X-and uses AA's, which is a big plus. Has switches on the side, like a maglite, which is nice.

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I'd stick to flashlights that have a simple U.I. as it seems your grandfather has taken a liking to Maglites. I suggest you buy him a Malkoff HoundDog XP-G/XM-L or just one of their maglite dropins as they retain the same battery format and simple U.I.

KLowD9x

Banned
How about the new Fenix TK41? With an XML LED, there seems to be decent spill with good throw also. 800 ANSI lumens on high. AA batteries for common technology and a safe chemistry.

Also, priced at $130 is well under your $170 request.

It looks like a great light with a simple user interface and a size that would be acceptable to a man that is used to the size of a large Mag Lite.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/-str...trk=gdfV22215_a_7c1236_a_7c5347_a_7cFX_d_TK41

Last edited:

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Personally i think he might also get a kick out of a single AA size , it'd be a "look at what these can do now" (and 100 hours on low) type of thing imo , cheers , Paul

I had the same thought last year so I picked him up a Quark AA. He loves it but loves throwy lights much more.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix tk50 ? It's not 700 lumens, but might be worth checking out. Runs on d-cells so you don't need to warn or worry about "risky" batteries.
Goingear has a nice video on youtube, comparing it with a old mag. Looks very throwy.

Last edited:

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:thinking: From your description of what your looking for, I think you would be better off with a lantern/flashlight. I have the Pelican 9410, it has 710 lumen OTF and a lower 300 lumen mode. The beauty of this light is, it can stand on end with the head tilted in different positions to light up objects. This would be a great light for around the farm. It's very heavy duty, designed for industrial/fire department situations. Check out the Pelican web site! It can be bought Foamerica for $234.88, a little over your budget. This light has excellent throw plus more spill than most of the lights talked about so far! Almost forgot, it's rechargeable, powered by D cell NiMh battery pack. If you want a reliable light go with this one. Polymer/EXL flashlights in many ways can be tougher than aluminum lights. This light was reviewed on this site by Woodrow last year. Just type 9410 in the search area.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=9410

http://www.foamerica.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9410

Last edited:

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
I think I've made my decision.

The winner is...
The Fenix TK41

800lm throwy light using a standard battery type & controls that should be easy to get used to. Yep... sounds like a winner!

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Looking at lots of beamshots, it appears that the TK41 has the strongest throw you can get without going to a full HID light.
Pretty awesome the amount of light that comes out the end of that thing!

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Looking at lots of beamshots, it appears that the TK41 has the strongest throw you can get without going to a full HID light.
Pretty awesome the amount of light that comes out the end of that thing!

I don't know about the strongest overall but definitely the best AA thrower!