**Update**Anyone have the runtime estimates for a high CRI Ra Twisty? **Update**

Bronco

Enlightened
I apologize for the extreme specificity, but I'm curious approximately how long a 2600 or 2900 mAh AW or Redilast protected 18650 (I've been using both) should be able to power a stock Ra Twisty with the high CRI emitter at the factory preset medium output level.

I've been getting a max of about 4 hours total runtime under these conditions (60 to 90 minutes a night over three nights) and have no idea if this is typical or not. I suspect I may have a battery drain issue only because the light will be operating perfectly normally at the end of the third consecutive night of use (i.e. capable of operating at all power levels), and then the cell will be completely dead on the fourth day. In most cases the light will not come on at all, for even a second, at any power level. Rarely, it will light up at the low or medium setting momentarily, immediately begin blinking for a couple of seconds and then completely extinguish. Any runtime numbers or links to the same would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
Re: Anyone have the runtime estimates for a high CRI Ra Twisty with an 18650 tube?

Bumping in the hopes that I'll have better luck with the CPF weekday crowd. :)

hotlight

Enlightened
Re: Anyone have the runtime estimates for a high CRI Ra Twisty with an 18650 tube?

I have my Twisty "custom programmed"...
I use the cheap ultrafire type 18650s, the ones tested were either 2400 or 2600mah
my Medium level is #15... started at 4.16V, ended test @ 3.62V 28 HOURS later.
on High started @ 4.15V, ended test@ 3.78V 2.5 Hours later.

Not sure what Factory Medium is.... but I'm %99 sure you should get more than 4 Hours.
Something is up with the battery or Twisty.

got a DMM? you know how to test for the drain?(measure Voltage of full batt., put in Twisty, don't use Twisty, measure 3/4 days? later)

Bronco

Enlightened

Thanks for responding, hotlight. Yes, I can do that test. Based on the results of your runtime tests at level 15, it sounds like I may indeed have a problem. I'll check it out and report back.

Bronco

Enlightened

On hotlight's recommendation, I've attempted to do a bit of battery drain testing on this light. I took one of my Redilast 2900 mAh protected 18650 cells and let it fully charge on my Pila charger. I took it off the charger and let it rest for 30 mins.

After the rest period, the initial reading on my Fluke 179 DMM indicated 4.179 V. I also tested it about a half dozen times on my ZTS MBT-1 and it consistently registered at 100% capacity. Then, last night I placed the 18650 in my HDS and left the light off. I'd planned on taking measurements for three days before reporting back, but I think the results are pretty clear after one.

At the 8 hour mark this morning I tested again. Voltage was at 4.049v and the cell still consistently tested at 100% capacity on the MBT-1.

I checked again this evening after getting home from work and at 21 hours had a reading of 3.853v. Tests on the MBT-1 fluctuated between readings of 80% and 60% capacity.

It's now been fully 24 hours and the voltage is down to 3.811v. The MBT-1 is consistently showing 60%.

I'll continue to monitor, but I'm afraid I've already got my answer that something is seriously wrong.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened

At the 33 hour mark I'm down to 3.647v and the cell registers 0% charge on the MBT-1.

As an aside, does it seem right that the MBT-1 would indicate that the cell is fully depleted at this voltage? I'm just curious more than anything else. The cell is presently capable of illuminating the light at all three factory preset levels. Of course this was only for a second to see if it could do it.