JETBeam BC10 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
JETBeam BC10 (Also JETBeam BA10) - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

JETBeam has historically been a purveyor of middle to high priced lights with serious attention to quality. Their "B" series intentionally brings up the bottom rung of their model line, but does it live up to the JETBeam name?

JETBeam BC10

Meat and Potatoes

The JETBeam "B" series represents a step into a wider world for this company. A new set of budget offerings that still manage to exude quality. Offering a two stage interface akin to base models from other companies, the BC10 is an excellent mix of new technology and simple usability. Changing between modes is as simple as twisting the head tightened for high and slightly loosened for low.

JETBeam BC10

Utilizing one CR123A cell to power today's most common powerhouse LED, the Cree XP-G, JETBeam has not skimped when it comes to output. Pairing the XP-G's superb efficiency with its characteristically excellent emission pattern, the BC10 projects its 270 lumens in a beautifully smooth beam, aided in that endeavour by a lightly stippled reflector. The spread of the beam is very middle of the road. It is a good all purpose pattern balancing moderate flood and throw. As usual with this LED, there is still an excellent transitional corona and decently bright spill assisting in eliminating any "tunnel vision". The BC10 has a very excellent level spacing also, providing a useful general purpose mode with a very bright high mode on top of that.

JETBeam BC10

The machine work on the BC10 is top notch. Every corner and edge has been smoothed to a comfortable finish. The anodizing seems thick and durable. Of interesting note, the knurling is definitively less aggressive than many lights I have seen lately, though it still provides adequate retention. It's just much less chance of being a pocket shredder. Even the tension mounted pocket clip has been smoothed so there are no rough edges.

Constructive Criticism

Speaking of the pocket clip, It is really quite a tight clip, which is somewhat unusual for this type of mounting method. Generally tension mounted clips are prone to accidentally falling off with the slightest tug, but this model appears to be nearly immune to such afflictions. However, this death grip on the barrel of the light also transitions to becoming difficult to use. The clip is so tight it takes a very concentrated effort to be able to use at all. Add to that the fact that the clip rubs against the head of the light, potentially scratching the anodizing on the head with each successive mode change, and you see why my light will be growing old without this particular accessory.

Pocket Clip

Conclusions

Clearly JETBeam hasn't skimped on the quality in order to make this new budget line a success. These lights seem to be about all the little extra touches, from the forward clicky to the quality lanyard (one of the minimally few lanyards I will actually leave in place beyond the review period), JETBeam looks to have gone the distance to make quality light affordable, rather than the other way around.

JETBeam BC10

Provided for review by the kind folks at JETBeam.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Nice review Aardvark. It's not like I really need another 1x123 light, but the price point really makes it quite attainable without putting much of a dent in your wallet at all. And putting out 270 lumens on a single CR123 is pretty impressive considering the BC10 is their budget line.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
:D Sounds good so far, I'm new to Jetbeams and was so pleased with a recent purchase of the Ti TC-R2, that I ordered a BC10 about 10 days ago, can't wait now.

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
Hi! Can you please tell me if the BC10 can hold an AW 16340 battery or a AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery? I want to pull the trigger on this light but I want one that holds a recharge battery and I want to know if the new Jetbeam Reverse Polarity Protection Design prevents the use of AW rechargeable batteries. Thanks!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi! Can you please tell me if the BC10 can hold an AW 16340 battery or a AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery? I want to pull the trigger on this light but I want one that holds a recharge battery and I want to know if the new Jetbeam Reverse Polarity Protection Design prevents the use of AW rechargeable batteries. Thanks!
Well, it physically fits the AW 16340 just fine, but the button top is so short that I wasn't able to make contact with the + terminal. Unfortunately the light is not functional without some kind of spacer in there, which presents its own form of danger from the possibility of shorting out the cell.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Wow...so you can't even use an AW RCR123 without using a spacer? There goes my enthusiasm for the BC10.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have seen other people post that they were able to get them to work. My AW cells aren't exactly new, so that could be a large part of the problem. I'd say it falls under the category of Your Mileage May Vary.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I need to stop reading them before the wife gets hold of the bank statements.
I just ordered a BC10 as they look like a neat little light with a big output.

I use Soshine 16340 Batteries I hope they will work. I will let you guys know when it turns up.

cheers

blarson

Newly Enlightened
Great light but neither AW or Powerizer will work; Duracell 123 work fine.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Their 2xAA version, BA20 also puts out the most powerful light I got of all my 2xAA lights I have. I bet their 270lm claim is not much exaggerated and this BC10 looks like another one to have. Its low is a powerful one and could be lower but I guess this light is more usable with only two modes and 30lms isn't a bad choice.

CDR_Glock

Newly Enlightened
LumensMaximus said:
:D Sounds good so far, I'm new to Jetbeams and was so pleased with a recent purchase of the Ti TC-R2, that I ordered a BC10 about 10 days ago, can't wait now.

I love my TC-R2. There aren't too many that compare to it's versatility. It suits 99% of my needs.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know I can look it up myself but I would suggest mentioning the UI in the review.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Has anyone tried using an AW RCR123 in their BC10? And if so, did it work without a spacer?

asot

Newly Enlightened
Re: JETBeam BC10

Just tried it (without any magnet/spacer)! Works fine and seems a litlle HIGHER in luminosity than a standard 123...