What is a "McClicky"?

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Sorry for the noob question, but my search to find this answer on CPF and the web have been in vain.

Is a "McClicky" a type of switch, or a switch made by a specific manufacturer? Or something else entirely?

Thanks!
BG

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
McClicky switch, described at Oveready.com: click.

Basically, it's the switch internals for a twisty tail that alters the tail's switch to have (a) momentary-on push-button control as well as (b) push-click to turn on.

Here is a "sales" thread by Dan at Oveready.com for prototype SolarForce L2-S7 twisty tails that have the McClicky switch installed: click.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I think he was asking for what a Mcclicky as a switch was. The Mcclicky is a switch designed for E-series tailcaps, by Mcgizmo. Now those tailcaps are no longer made, and the McClicky has been adapted for use in C? series lights, with clickys like the surefire Z41 , with a brass retaining ring. (This ring ironically costs more than the switch). The Mcclicky is unique in its high current handling ability in a forward clicky due to its unique design, with some copper rod somewhere to reduce resistance, allowing good performance up to 5 amps.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Adaptation beyond E series began in late 2009 with the launch of our brass adapter ring:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?248609

Since then, the kit has seen such broader use than the switch alone, that 'McClicky' is starting to mean 'McClicky Kit'. The original value of the kit was that most SF lights came standard with Z41 twisty's and the Z59 replacement was almost $50. While still the case, additional advantages like amperage handling have taken over.

The interesting thing is that were the switch not already designed for the smaller diameter E series tailcaps, it probably would not be short enough in length to fit in the Z41, which is smaller than any clicky tailcap.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
McClicky was more reliable than genuine SF clicky for years... I'm new to this community but older members will tell you how many times they heard SF Z59 to fail... since then, SF made 3-4 upgrades of Z59, reliability is rised but McClicky is still the same, reliable PLUS: 5 amps and lower resistance than genuine Z41 speak for itself. As for retaining ring, it's solid brass made in USA and of course it's expensive when switch itself is made in China... it's made by standards set by Don but still, it's being produced and assembled by cheap labor as mass product. Retaining ring is super easy to be made by wagely experienced machinist but I still find very acceptable ordering whole set for just $21 from OR... I've also seen around that members just install McClicky with improvised retainers in Z41... as long as the only movement inside is inside the switch itself, should be reliable...

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
I thought I had an engineering drawing of a McClicky, but it's not on this PC...

Browsing dmcleish.com and doing a Google image search for McClicky should bring enlightenment.

<EDIT> Found it! See this thread (includes link to diagram on Don's site.)

- Syncytial.

Last edited: