Best driver for XM-L

El Paso Eric

Newly Enlightened
I just received my sample of the Cree XM-L. My current limited power supply can provide about 1.3 amps, but I want to drive it closer to the upper limit. Its currently mounted to a large heat sink.

What is the best battery driver for the XM-L, to drive it closer to its upper limit?

Even at 1.3A, its a real burner. I have tons of optics, from my laser stuff, and was playing around with the LED and some collimation. Even simple experiments provide a really super throw. I was looking for a driver to start a new LED project.

Thanks!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7135 at 3amps or less for XML, I havent put one together, but from what I've read XML keep there efficiency up to 3 amps, then the efficiency drops some, nailbender has mad some at 2.8 amps as p60 dropins for surefire type lights.
For more skilled info the HomeMade and modified Discusion area may be able to better answer your questions

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I am in the market for one too. I am working on a inova T3 which takes 3 cells. Thus I need to find a driver that has a max above 9v. I prefer not to have modes but choices seem limited. One on DX doesn't seem to make the 2.8mah output as it claims to do.
Most drivers I have found are limited to one rechargeable cell or two primaries.

How hard is it to make your own?

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
For 1*18650 or AA*3/4 or 3.6V - 6V >>> 8*7135
For 2*18650 or over 6V - 12V >>> KD SKU 5296

One poster showed me video of the driver you listed on the bottom. It did not get the advertised 2.8 mah. He had two and tried both, but got the same results.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7135 is a linear driver and basically just resistors off the excess voltage. 4 x NiMh is really the only acceptable configuration to run this on. 3 x NiMh will not reach full output and 5+ nimh will be very inefficient and probably melt the driver.

Der Wichtel's 2.8A driver and Taskled's H6CC are the best drivers for the XM-L. And they are proper constant current buck drivers. I think you need 6+ nimh for the DW and 7+ for the H6CC and they run all the way up to ~20V so are very versatile in terms of input power source.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do you know if anybody makes a complete drop in with Der Wichtel's 2.8A driver or Taskled's H6CC?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if anybody makes a complete drop in with Der Wichtel's 2.8A driver or Taskled's H6CC?

Not really sure. DW makes a maglite kit for the SSC P7 which includes the heatsink and driver. I suppose this could be adapted for the XML. I'm not sure if DW is planning an XM-L kit.

mac makes a good XM-L mag dropin though. it's 3 mode

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks. Any buck drivers for XM-L that will work with 2 X CR123?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
The 7135 is a linear driver and basically just resistors off the excess voltage. 4 x NiMh is really the only acceptable configuration to run this on. 3 x NiMh will not reach full output and 5+ nimh will be very inefficient and probably melt the driver.

Der Wichtel's 2.8A driver and Taskled's H6CC are the best drivers for the XM-L. And they are proper constant current buck drivers. I think you need 6+ nimh for the DW and 7+ for the H6CC and they run all the way up to ~20V so are very versatile in terms of input power source.

Do you know where to find this H6CC? I have seen the Der Wichtel one and its not cheap.

But this sounds the way to go for a 3 cell light. I can't find too many drivers that go high enough and that actually work.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
@eatingeyefish, cutter.au is the distributer for taskled. Pretty sure the H6CC is even more expensive than the DW but you can set different currents. The older HipCC 2.8A would do the job too. I have the DW 2.8A driver and I'm really happy with it. I'm using it in a fixed lighting application and I haven't even heatsinked it yet it's run reliably for hundreds of hours.

@recDNA, you could try the 7135. It might be OK with 2xCR123 due to the large voltage drop at this high current. Not sure how safe this configuration would be though. (cr123 have been known to explode at high currents)

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Still having trouble finding a good driver for the XM-L under my specs. Max input must be at least 9 volts.