What key chain light?

blue

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know what folks would recommend for key chain lights? I searched and found a number of threads on EDC's, but couldn't find discussion/recommendations for a key chain light. The key chain light I'm looking for is smaller than EDCs.

I've had for the last 3 years a Photon II on my key chain. It is small and I never notice it there. That is basically what I'm looking for.

I've got several EDC size lights, but I tend not to put them into my pocket when going to work and then suddenly I want a flashlight. My photon II has been useful a number of times but not stunning, and now I'm poking my head up to see if there is much new in this realm.

I noticed there is a photo 4-led rechargeable that seems a bit larger than the photon II... any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

bedazzLED

Enlightened
How about the 4Sevens Mini CR2? I've had this on my keychain since it came out, and I don't think anything is going to be replacing it any time soon. It's small, very bright, and just an all round fantastic keychain light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never able to tolerate anything large or heavy on my keychain so I use Photon Freedoms myself.It seems like you are looking for more output so you may want to consider one of the many AAA lights with high output LEDs available.Nothing is the same size/profile as the Photon with substantially more output that I know about.I have the 4-LED Photon ReX and it is impressive for a 5mm based LED light but it is much larger and mine has not been as reliable as the Photon Freedoms lately.You may also want to consider carrying a seperate EDC light,many of the AAA lights would work well in that role and they won't weigh down your pockets.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'd like to know what folks would recommend for key chain lights? I searched and found a number of threads on EDC's, but couldn't find discussion/recommendations for a key chain light. The key chain light I'm looking for is smaller than EDCs.

I've had for the last 3 years a Photon II on my key chain. It is small and I never notice it there. That is basically what I'm looking for.

I've got several EDC size lights, but I tend not to put them into my pocket when going to work and then suddenly I want a flashlight. My photon II has been useful a number of times but not stunning, and now I'm poking my head up to see if there is much new in this realm.

I noticed there is a photo 4-led rechargeable that seems a bit larger than the photon II... any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Yeah, the Photon ReX is an excellent keychain light, and has the significant advantage of variable output (as well as rechargeability). It is actually bigger than you might think though, but still small enough for keychain use.

If you can tolerate a AAA-sized light, I recommend a Peak Eiger. Those are available in standard HA aluminum, but much nicer in stainless steel, or (my favorite) brass.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I second archimedes recomendation for the Photon ReX. I also use the ReX accessory pack which allows you to recharge your Photon with a USB dock or by using a solar charger, which comes with the package.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I second archimedes recomendation for the Photon ReX. I also use the ReX accessory pack which allows you to recharge your Photon with a USB dock or by using a solar charger, which comes with the package.

How well does the solar charger work? I had considered getting that, but it is quite easy to just charge from spare batteries.

How long in direct sun for a full charge? Is the solar cell efficient enough to charge from general indoor room lighting?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You alrady EDC E1E or even 6P ???

Why not that free plastic button thingy we get from few merchants for orders above $20 ??? Super light, durable enough, simple... and it's FREE... lol... I love iTP A3 but with EDC always with me, I find a little justification for carrying few more grams on the most used item in my pockets (especially vehicle key)...

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
How well does the solar charger work? I had considered getting that, but it is quite easy to just charge from spare batteries.

How long in direct sun for a full charge? Is the solar cell efficient enough to charge from general indoor room lighting?

It will charge from artificial light, but it will probably take quite some time before it is fully charged. Actually this may be beneficial, because the packaging does come with a warning, "Damage may result by leaving the Rex in the solar charger after charging is complete". I have never experienced any damaging effects. I usually just place the solar charger in the window during the day for a few hours of charge time. If you find it easy to charge from spare batteries, than that is probably the best way to re-charge.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My key chain light is the free plastic button type light as well. I have a ITP A3 but I use it on a necklace when I use it/need it. The plastic key chain light is hard to beat in that you'll always have it with you and by being small and plastic with rounded edges it won't wear a hole in your pocket. How much light does one actually need on a key chain :)

dickwyn

Newly Enlightened
iTP A3 EOS, Wonderful light, good GUI, Default is medium on my Titanium.

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
How about the 4Sevens Mini CR2? I've had this on my keychain since it came out, and I don't think anything is going to be replacing it any time soon. It's small, very bright, and just an all round fantastic keychain light.

+1. it's brighter than alot of EDC sized lights

hazna

Enlightened
it's hard to beat the photon II or photon freedom in terms of size and weight. Most other lights in this size and weight, won't be much brighter. If you are looking for something a little different shaped with an aluminium body you can consider the streamlight nano or egear pico zipper lite. They're not going to be much brighter than your photon II.

If your willing to go a bit bigger, up to the size of a AAA light, there's a whole range of options. Personally I find AAA lights a little too large for my preference.

CR2 lights (such as the 4sevens mini CR2) are shorter than AAA lights but are also wider. I would still find them a little bulky for keychain use.

There is the klarus mi x5, which runs on AAAA batteries... it is shorter and thinner than most AAA lights, could be a contender, depend on how small you want it.

If you want even smaller; modamag drake, lummi wee, peak eiger 10180 and steve ku's 38DD, run on small 10180 batteries. You'll need special chargers for these batteries. These lights have powered LEDs which will provide greater brightness that your photon II. But with the increased brightness you will have reduced runtimes. They are only slightly larger than your photon II.

IMG_3171.JPG

Preon 1 (with tailcap), Fenix L0D, Klarus Mi X5, Tiny DQG AAA, Modamag Drake, AAA eneloop battery

IMG_3399.JPG

Streamlight nano, Modamag drake, DQG tiny 2/3AAA, Dealextreme 'fauxton'

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
I have the Klarus X5 - it is great for its size and fits perfect on a keychain. My wife has the 4-Sevens Preon S2 on her key chain and uses it often - It just depends on your preferences and what you like.

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I have a few Inova Microlights, and they are great!

I have the old version (unfortunately discontinued) that has a very tough polycarbonate body, and a momentary on button, and an always on slider switch. It puts out maybe 3-4 lumens which is actually surprisingly useful when trying to find keys, things dropped on the floor, or finding your way around in the dark. The only thing that I don't like is the LED is a little on the blue side tint-wise.

I also have the newer model that has a high, low, and strobe feature. The high is a littler higher, about 6 lumens, and the low is probably 2 lumens. It can be set to "signal mode", which makes the button activate it in momentary on only, or can be set to push the button once for always on high, push again within a second for always on low, or push again within a second for strobe. It doesn't seem as tough as the old model, but I've had it knocking around on my keychain for about 4-5 years, and it's been fine.

They both use 2016 button cells that are super cheap. They also last a long time. I really like these lights for keychain use. They are very small, have a nice little clip, and put out very useful amounts of light for their size. The newer model is brighter and has a nicer beam tint and profile. It's a cooler white, not quite as blue as the older one.

They are pretty cheap too. Check 'em out.

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was inova microlight fan for years but they always tend to turn on on their own in my pocket thus running dead super fast... and they are $7...
First similar thing I got from batteryjunction then later from lighthound... the output is way better than inova (double the light at least)... and like I said... they are $1 to purchase but with many orders you have many for free... ;)
Don't have similar problem as with inova and the little plasticky thing seems very durable. Will comment on it as soon as it fails me... :)