Sunglasses Recommendation?

jugg2

Enlightened
Hello all! I know there are plenty of sunglasses threads out there but none answer my specific question...

I'm in the market for a new pair of shades. These will be for driving/ light use only. I have a pair of Oakleys for the heavy stuff.

On to my specific question though. I want glass lenses and Im having a hard time on the manufacturers websites determining which models use glass...

I want glass because of the scratch resistance and optical clairity. I'm really looking at Ray Ban and Maui Jim. I love the classic aviator style of the RBs but I want the Ti wire because I'm allergic to the nickel in the standard wire. Im open to MJ because of all the great things I have heard about them...

So if someone could shine some light on which models use glass then I would really appreciate it! The manufacturers websites are somewhat lacking when it comes to this detail...

Thanks in advance!

Caleb Wilson

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maui just revamped their site recently, it's MUCH easier to search by feature now. Here's all of their models with glass lenses. http://www.mauijim.com/shop/mens.html?mj_lensmaterial=11 I highly recommend Maui Rose, but that's just my personal preference in lens color. I just wish maui jim had it on more models, it seems all the ones I like are either unavailable in that tint, or have pink or purple frames, not my style.

edit: Just be sure to double check lens material. I don't think they've gotten everything organized just yet. Usually the full shield style and the rimless styled sunglasses are polycarbonate. There are a few in that list like that.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello all! I know there are plenty of sunglasses threads out there but none answer my specific question...

I'm in the market for a new pair of shades. These will be for driving/ light use only. I have a pair of Oakleys for the heavy stuff.

On to my specific question though. I want glass lenses and Im having a hard time on the manufacturers websites determining which models use glass...

I want glass because of the scratch resistance and optical clairity. I'm really looking at Ray Ban and Maui Jim. I love the classic aviator style of the RBs but I want the Ti wire because I'm allergic to the nickel in the standard wire. Im open to MJ because of all the great things I have heard about them...

So if someone could shine some light on which models use glass then I would really appreciate it! The manufacturers websites are somewhat lacking when it comes to this detail...

Thanks in advance!

Caleb Wilson

There's a guy in Louisiana that has a mostly mail-order frame/sunglass/optical shop called Hidalgo's. He is extremely experienced and knowledgeable, and can custom make you whatever you might want. I have special-ordered various RayBans and other frames, with glass lenses in specific colors, different temples, and so forth. He also has titanium frames, gold frames, and lots of other options available. Of course, he can also grind optical corrections too, if needed. Coatings, polarization, and photochromic glass are just a few of the choices. Might want to check out Randolph Engineering frames, too, if you like RayBans. Serengeti also makes some nice driving glasses.

I also prefer glass lenses, and for driving, really like medium-green ("Natural Green"). It is not as dark as most typical "sunglasses" and works well for most everything except very bright sun.

You can PM me if you have trouble finding his contact information. Hope that helps!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sorry that I don't know the exact models I have, but first I want to say that I've never been a big fan of sunglasses because they make it too hard to see, and yet I have none of that problem with any of the three pairs of Ray Ban Polarized that I have. They took away all the glare the other day as I was driving, without making it too dark in the shadowed areas to still see clearly.

My Ray Ban's are the only sunglasses I've ever had that I actually look forward to driving with.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't have an opinion on models but I do want to put in my opinion on polarized: get 'em! For daily use they are nothing too spectacular but for driving they cut down on glare a lot and are very enjoyable to wear.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I use the Ti Sport Kapalua from Maui Jim and it's so light that sometimes I forget I have 'em on. . I've had a number of glass RB's before and I found that I got a neck ache if I used them for extended periods. I don't have that problem with my MJ's and I can wear 'em all day with no problems. They have the added advantage of being able to hang around your neck without the need for cords. I wouldn't be too concerned by the scratch resistance 'coz I found that they hold up very well. Same goes for the optical clarity. The only problem that I found was after a while stress fractures appeared around the attachment points on the lens.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
Well after a few emails exchanged between me and Jim Hidalgo it seems like "Randolph Engineering" is the way to go. They don't have Ti frames but hopefully with the painted finish it won't be a problem for me... If it is then I will just alumahyde the dang things haha.

I can't wait to be wearing a pair of aviators again for driving and such. I have missed my first pair of them since they had an untimely death...

Thanks!

Caleb Wilson

archimedes

Flashaholic
Great choice with the Randolph Engineering frames.

I believe they are MIL-SPEC equipment, and currently my favorite driving glasses.

Glad the info was helpful!

pck50

Newly Enlightened
In all honesty regarding Sunglasses dont be bothered with regular sunglasses, your most best and finest solution is to simply pick a very nice eyeglass frame that you will like its style and be most comfortable and not weigh your face down with marks.
Then install high quality POLAROID Lenses and you will be exotically set for any ventures.
Infact you can even have Prescription POLAROID lenses too.

Best Of Luck On Your Good Choices. And Have very Good day!

PETE

Thanks in advance!

Caleb Wilson

pck50

Newly Enlightened
Additionally NEGATIVE do not get glass unsafe lenses god for bit your in a fall or bad accident can permanently blind you if affordability is there GET the Carl Zeiss Digital Lenses on a very nice good most comfortable frame and be rest assured that you will never ever be wanting to even use anything else at all.
This will be by far the most very finest choice bar non period.

Pete

Thanks in advance!

Caleb Wilson

Walkerdark

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an opinion on models but I do want to put in my opinion on polarized: get 'em! For daily use they are nothing too spectacular but for driving they cut down on glare a lot and are very enjoyable to wear.

Yup have to be Polarized, take the glare and minimize whiteouts.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a quality freak when it comes to sunglasses and only like glass lenses. Having hyper-sensitive eyes means that although I don't need glasses, I cannot go out in the day without sunglasses.

Most recently I got a pair of Serengeti sunglasses (Firenze 7112 Polarized) and since doing so, my Persol and Maui Jim sunglasses don't come out of the drawer much. These are great for driving (except the centre console display is not good through polarized) and have the bonus that they are light sensitive and darken further in strong light.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty regarding Sunglasses don't be bothered with regular sunglasses, your most best and finest solution is to simply pick a very nice eyeglass frame that you will like its style and be most comfortable and not weigh your face down with marks.
Then install high quality POLAROID Lenses and you will be exotically set for any ventures.
Infact you can even have Prescription POLAROID lenses too.

Best Of Luck On Your Good Choices. And Have very Good day!

PETE
I have just had my new prescription glasses from Specsavers (UK) ... I took advantage of their two for the price of one offer.

My new 'Normal' pair are varifocal (non-tinted) in a very lightweight titanium frame which is great for everyday wear ... Light weight is essential because I wear glasses all the time ... You can also have varilux/varifocal if you want to use them as sunglasses ... My old ones were this type.

My second pair are also varifocal but are polarised as they will only be used as sunglasses ... Previous to this , I had clip-on polaroid lenses to fit on my glasses but from now on I will always go for the varifocal polarised lenses ... I know that it is £60 extra to have the polarised lenses but in my opinion it is well worth it ... Reflections are eliminated and for daylight driving I would say that these are a Godsend ... Shiny road surfaces and shiny wet roads are almost totally absent as is the shine on the top of the dashboard of the car ... I could not now go back to ordinary sunglasses ... A nice pair of varifocal polarised aviator style glasses will be my next purchase.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
As others have said, polarized is a must - but also be certain the lenses block UV. Because they reduce the amount of visible light, the pupil will open wider and let in more UV - which can accelerate the formation of cataracts and damage the retina - unless the lenses block it. That's one of the reasons that certain plastics like polycarbonate are popular for sunglass lenses; they're naturally UV-opaque.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Maui Jim sunglasses seen to have a real cachet with special forces members and their ilk, such as police special response teams. Once I noticed that, while hanging out in place where those guys tend to congregate, I tried the brand out and decided they were rather better than my previous favorites, Serengettis. But that could be because I'm easily influenced. I agree with the previous posts that suggested buying one or the other.

Glass is far far less prone to scratching than plastic, and is best as long as it's safety rated. Personally, I recommend avoiding polarized lenses if you will wear the glasses to drive a lot- they tend to obscure things that have transparent plastic screens or covers, like my cell phone. Serengetti Driver lenses are still unbeatable, in my experience, for driving. Among the few brands that will darken further in brighter light inside the car and still be good right down to twilight.

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maui Jim sunglasses seen to have a real cachet with special forces members and their ilk, such as police special response teams. Once I noticed that, while hanging out in place where those guys tend to congregate, I tried the brand out and decided they were rather better than my previous favorites, Serengettis. But that could be because I'm easily influenced. I agree with the previous posts that suggested buying one or the other.

Glass is far far less prone to scratching than plastic, and is best as long as it's safety rated. Personally, I recommend avoiding polarized lenses if you will wear the glasses to drive a lot- they tend to obscure things that have transparent plastic screens or covers, like my cell phone. Serengetti Driver lenses are still unbeatable, in my experience, for driving. Among the few brands that will darken further in brighter light inside the car and still be good right down to twilight.
I certainly would never use glass lenses ... The modern polycarbonate lenses with the hard coating is great nowadays ... Any glass will shatter more easily than the polycarbonate plastic ... I have used plastic lenses for over twentyfive years now and have never had a lens shatter ... Also , I have never had a lens scratched though I have new prescription lenses every year or two as necessary ... I never use tissues to clean my lenses as , since they are made of wood pulp , they will scratch the lens over a period of time ... I always use a cotton handkerchief , though if the lenses are very dirty I pop them in my ultrasonic cleaner.

There is no doubt in my mind that polarised lenses are best for driving , as no other lens can eliminate glare in the same way ... When driving , I can not see any stress marks in my cars windscreen or in that of other friends ... The only slight snag is that the tint is fixed , whereas the tint in my Varilux lenses alters with light level ... I can put up with this minor problem as the polarising benefifs hugely outweigh any other problem.

All my glasses are Varifocal and since I wear my glasses all the time it has become essential ... Varifocal Polarising sunglasses are now my ideal daylight driving and sun-protection wear ... My Varilux Varifocal glasses are by Zeiss and I cannot find fault in them even comparing them with silly priced ones that I have tried in the opticians shop where my daughter works.

So there we have it ... After wearing glasses for over fifty years , I would never go back to heavy glass lenses again ... That would be like going back to the Victorian era in Britain.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
If driving, one shouldn't be fiddling with one's cell phone at all. ;)

My, for a biker guy you're awfully PC... anyway, in addition to my cell phone, also things like the screen of my GPS and that of my Sirius radio receiver, when I had an add-on unit. Per another reply, I don't find that polarizing cuts down or through glare- gray or brown lenses do however. Polarized lenses are great when looking into water, as in lakes or streams. Not a frequent driving chore.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Ray Ban all the way. I have the predator pair and really like the shade of the tint and with all the snow this winter(21 cm yesterday, with 8cm more this weekend) they have saved my eyes from a lot of glare.