SSC P7 turns blue

matg

Newly Enlightened
Im wondering is this normal that my ssc p7 turns blue after about a minute of having it on. I have a ultrafire c9 ssc p7 single mode using 18650 battery. I do notice that it gets very hot while turning blue so is there a way I can cool it down a little?

kavvika

Enlightened
Nope, not normal. It turns blue because it's overheating. You shouldn't continue to use it until you have the thermal situation corrected. Is there thermal glue or grease under the star? Is it properly held down tight against the heatsink?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
matg, welcome to CPF.

Nope that is very bad. Kavvika is right. I would not even turn it on again till you work it over. I can tell you almost without a doubt that its a bad thermal path between the led and the heat sink.

It should be simple enough to find out. Can you open the head? Remove the pill and see if it is glued down or if its sitting on some paste that allows it to move.

Either way you will probly have to unsolder the emitter, clean off the old paste/epoxy and put a very thin layer of some new, then resolder the emitter.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Yup, blue light is like the temperature gauge in your car being pinned all the way past H. P7's generate a LOT of heat when driven hard. I just looked up your light and they claim 1.8 amps, P7's can be driven up to 2.8 with proper heatsinking, so you definitely have an issue. I've noticed that if you blue an led a few times, the output drops considerably and the tint will tend to skew towards ugly blues, greens, and even milky yellows. It will also significantly shorten the lifespan of the die.

You can always just get a new led for the light, though, they're pretty cheap these days, and you can pick whatever bin and tint you want if you end up having to go that route.

DM51

Flashaholic
^ What they said. The damage has been done, and it will continue to deteriorate, probably quite rapidly from now on. It needs replacing.

BTW, welcome to CPF!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do find out that re gluing your emitter is too little too late and you still want to save the light, you may as well upgrade to an XM-L. That would give more light and a nicer beam at less cost anyway.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
If you do find out that re gluing your emitter is too little too late and you still want to save the light, you may as well upgrade to an XM-L. That would give more light and a nicer beam at less cost anyway.

He's right, higher lumens per watt and just one big die instead of four little ones. It'll run cooler too at the amperage you're working with.