some advice needed, don't know what to do.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
some advice needed, don\'t know what to do.

I designed high end audio cable for 17 years, sold it for a couple. Here's the problem, I listened to every gauge of wire in existence, one strand at a time, doing listening tests for interconnect and speaker cable with every gauge trying different configurations etc. At one point I heard something in my testing which gave me a theory and when I used the variables in the theory I was able to produce approximately 25 generations of audio cable , each better than the previous one in a definable way. I could then accurately predict the improvement from one generation to the next before I even built it, nobody has ever been able to do that with audio cable before(to the best of my knowledge).With no background in electronics, my listening tests somehow managed to address(as I was to later learn from some very knowledgable people) inductance,capacitance and skin effect. My wire technology eliminated inductance, reduced capacitance to negligible level and made skin effect (higher frequencies traveling closer to the surface of the inductor) moot and the cable totally linear.The reason I am writing here is that I believe, and others who have herd it, also believe that it is probably the most accurate electrical signal transducer in the world.I have literally done nothing with this in the last few years , having been beaten up a bit by lame politics in high end audio. This wire technology virtually proves that most of the distortions that people hear in audio systems originate with the cabling.
I first heard some $1000 (20 years ago) Stax Lambda Pro electrostatic ear speakers at a friends house. What I heard on the headphone system was shocking. The level detail and actual recorded information was extraordinary and I thought my god, where was all the introduced distortion taking place. Currently I have some SennheiserHD600 headphones and my audio system is more transparent than the headphones. Some of the bigger audio wire mfg's aren't really interested in some one elses audio cable(don't know why that is?)
anyone have any ideas where I might go from here. I am open to almost anytning, including possible partnership.I have decided that this wire technology is too good(or possibly important) to just give up on. Thanks for reading this long winded explanation of my plight, but there are some very bright people here with experiences that could possibly help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: some advice needed, don\'t know what to do.

sounds amazing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

whatever you do, be careful!
there are a lot of people in this world who would love to take some of that cable and screw you over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

If you think you've got a good idea, try to patent it first. If you reveal your secrets along the way to marketing it, you've lost it.

With a patent, or a patent pending, you might approach http://www.monstercable.com/ and see what happens. If you've got a good idea, their marketing expertise might help.

Good luck!!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hmm...i used to be pretty interested in the audio thing and "kimber cable" (or something like that...) seemed to be the premium. hella expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
maybe going to them might be a good choice?

i can't help but compare this to "what if i created an amazing luxeon flashlight with 99% efficent curcuitry...who would i go to?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif (the answer is arc of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try sending samples to High End Audio publications for review, but like the others say, make sure you get a patent first. I do follow Hi Fi technology, and if your product does indeed negate "skin effect", you have a unique and highly desirable product indeed.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

I will recommend having the superiority of the cable validated at local audio club meetings without letting the cable out of your sight. Word of mouth can spread fast in the Internet age. Partners may come and then it's time to get it patented.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

my basic protection is the difficulty in actually making it. It has to be hand made and uses wire that costs between $300 to $6000 a lb for me to buy in it's raw form. It then has to be taken off the spools and configured which is a big pain but I developed a tool to do that. Patents are a funny thing, in some ways you tell people exactly how you've made something and then you have to have enough money to protect it which is the problem.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Keithr,

I don't have any suggestions to add, but as someone who appreciates some of the finer points of critical listening I want to say how very impressed I am by what you've done.

Brightnorm

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had to change my original post to indicate that some of the wire that I use, costs $6000 a lb, not $600.

sloegin

Newly Enlightened

You may try approaching some of the smaller speaker manufacturers. Merlin comes to mind, or even Avantgarde.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

keithhr,

I don't know the details of what you've done, but I wonder if it is similar to the high fidelity cables we use to read out our particle detector here at work. (I work at Cornell's particle accelerator, known by the acronym for the storage ring, CESR). These cables are unbelievably expensive and allow you to put a signal in at one end and get EXACTLY the same signal out at the other. The rate of data acquisition for particle detectors is the highest in the world, by an order of magnitude I think, and everything needs to be the very best. Our cabling is braided strands each encased in dielectric, all of them surrounded by a dielectric and also lots of other stuff that I've never asked about. I know it's a pretty big deal. I also know that the technique/technology is open and unpatented, that being the MO of the high energy physics community. You can probably find info on-line or in physics journals about how they are made. I also know that the current running through them is much smaller than what would go through an audio cable.

I mention all of this, because if what you have done is similar (and I bet it is), then you probably couldn't patent it if you wanted to, and anyway, I agree completely that patenting something is a way to tell everyone exactly what you've done and how and YOU are then responsible for stopping any infringements. At least that's my understanding.

Anyway, congratulations. What you have done all on your own was something that took physicists a long time to get right. It sounds like you've got some really great cable there. FWIW, my own two cents is that you should start your own internet company and have detailed info on why and how your cables are simply the best ever, and also that no other audio cables out there come close. Then offer them for sale at prices that allow you a good profit and have a money back guarantee (but not on the shipping. You don't want to lose money on a canceled sale.) In this day and age, word of mouth is a seriously effective marketing strategy.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim , thanks for your reply, my cables have the same effect when used to transmit digital information, video signals, when used as power cords they have the same effect on the component that the power cord is hooked up to. I have had some discussions with silverfox here and feel that this cable technology may indeed be more accurate than anything in existence now. I know of no one that has produced the same type of cables that I was making. I followed the high end audio industry for many years and believe that I have something very unique. Most of today's high tech instrumentation,medical equipment, and as silverfox suggested, even nasa, have need for extremely accurate signal transmission. Maybe I was looking at the wrong market all this time. I had given up for a while because the good old boy crony network in audio was quite daunting.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might want to contact The Cable Company. I've bought stuff from them and they have a lending library for cables. Perhaps they can give your idea a vetting?

Wilkey