Too many lights?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the common answer here is that there is no such thing as too many lights but I can't be the only one who feels like this :)

It seems that I enjoy my lights more when I have fewer of them. If I have more than are being used on a regular basis I don't like the feeling of just accumulating them.

I end up finding people to give them to...even some of the ones I like! I have a couple of lights that I bought just as throwers and they just sit on a shelf. I never really need them.

Does anyone else ever have that feeling that you have more lights than uses for them and that you need to clear some out before getting more?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
gcbryan;3605997 Does anyone else ever have that feeling that you have more lights than uses for them and that you need to clear some out before getting more?[/QUOTE said:
No I like collecting them and part of that joy is going back and re-discovering a light I bought a year or two ago and enjoying it again or sometimes it grows on me many months later. Also sometimes I read new threads where a member will comment on a particular light positive or negative and I can go back and look into the comments myself and explore what was said.

A example would be if a member ask how does the new Fenix PD30 XPG throw compared to the old PD30 XR-E or P3D, I can help that member and at the same time cure my curiosity by going outside and messing around in the dark, it's fun and a big part of CPF for me.

I understand where your coming from some members do like to keep a lean collection for the same reasons as yourself but if you can hold onto those older light's they can be cause for a bit of fun and research in the future. Giving them away to friends and family is such a great experience especially when you give them those initial instructions and insight but at the same time I've been bummed out a few times when I re-visit that person a gave that light to only to find their enthusiasm for the light is nearly non existent because the battery's have faded or they don't want to carry it around or their just not into being a flashaholic.

So basically I really don't give lights away anymore unless I know that person will use it for work or EDC and it's not because I'm stingy but because it can almost be a waste of time. It's almost like when you stand in a retail store looking at lights and a stranger walks up next to you and you want to help find a light for them and share a bit of your knowledge but it seems 99% of the time it just goes in one ear and out the other so I usually don't even bother unless it is very appropriate or they ask me something.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of activity on the Marketplace for lights that aren't getting enough use. It's either that or give them to friends in need.

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
I know the common answer here is that there is no such thing as too many lights but I can't be the only one who feels like this :)

It seems that I enjoy my lights more when I have fewer of them. If I have more than are being used on a regular basis I don't like the feeling of just accumulating them.

I end up finding people to give them to...even some of the ones I like! I have a couple of lights that I bought just as throwers and they just sit on a shelf. I never really need them.

Does anyone else ever have that feeling that you have more lights than uses for them and that you need to clear some out before getting more?

Yes, I feel that way! And what makes it worse is the fact that I usually don't think the lights that I part with are worth very much. I have sold a few, given away some, but usually lose money.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've felt like this a lot over the last few years, and have gotten rid of a few.....with some regrets. This happened to me with some of my firearms where I sold some to buy new ones only to regret it later. I now no longer sell my lights because I keep going back to my older lights & falling in love with them all over again (the same is true with my older firearms & knives.) This could change, but for now I'm keepin what I got.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I think I have to many lights? No
Does my wife and family think I have too many? Yes
I do give away my older lights, to friends, family and coworkers.
Those lights are ones I have no love for, or were cheap impulse buys.
Otherwise I buy, trade and upgrade my lights.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many for my uses? yes and no. Some have only one precise application, but I like them for that one application.

If I ever gave/sold any away? some of my cheapest store-bought lights, yes. I also have one or two impulse-bought lights that I'd like to sell, but I didn't like them from the beginning and one is a cheap store-bought light.

blackfly

Enlightened
I feel like I have too many lights sometimes. There are only a few that I actually use. I have a whole drawer full of old lights I've accumulated over the years & want to sell. Recently I've tried to stop buying lots of cheaper lights & acquire a few really good ones.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, LED flashlight has been more of a hobby and collection rather than just something I just want to have. I don't just buy indiscriminately, i make sure the lights i have are unique from each other. Unique in performance, unique in shape, unique in emitter, unique in the power requirements (from AAA's, AA's to 123's) and i rotate EDC'ing them. The big guys, i leave at home, i bring only when i want to impress friends. hahaha! :) If i have to stay out of the house that i know will be coming home after dark, i see to it to have an EDC with me and a backup EDC and some batts too, you never know when an emergency can arise with all the earthquake going on all over the world! :)

As to having too many lights, well, you can never have too many lights if you're a flashaholic! :)

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
I only have a few. Each light will be the representative of each LED technology like Q5, R2, R5, MC-E, SST-50 and XM-L.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a few. Each light will be the representative of each LED technology like Q5, R2, R5, MC-E, SST-50 and XM-L.

Amen bro! that's what I do too! From each technology! Hmm.. those SST's are quite expensive...

sassaquin

Enlightened
Even though I only started collecting little lights last Fall (22 so far), each of my lights are important to me and I would never consider selling them unless forced by financial reasons. Since I am disabled from chronic pain and spend most of my time at home in bed, I have a lot of time to research and think carefully about every light that I buy. Each one is unique in some way and I enjoy looking and playing with them as they all have something different to offer. To help manage all my lights, I just ordered a hand-made display case for them. I guess I think of my lights more as works of art than as tools. CPF and flashlight collecting has taught me so much and has given me fulfilling hobby that I really enjoy.:)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much is too much for real junkies ???

Anyway... 20+ and still counting... but I never sold anything... yet friends and my family are miracuosly supplied with awesome torches (and have free supply of batteries)... Giving away somewhat "ease" my wife's opinion about these things and (in some cases) justifies a new purchase... that's the roll... I mean, birthdays are happening, we want them or not... you gotta get a present anyway... and each time I suggest we give a flashlight (in awesome, custom packaging, thanks to my lovely wife) people are HAPPY since they got something USEFULL, finally... and saves us hours of thinking "darn, what to buy to him/her"...

Enough of this... I gotta find next candidate to purchase... put it in a cart then look at it for days to come and enjoy "pre-purchase" tension... :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
so nice to be in a forum with people who share the same love for flashlights! :) you guys rock!

mbw_151

Enlightened
I try to have an application for each light. As technology and my preferences evolve, I replace some lights with newer ones. I try to sell or give away the lights that no longer have an assignment. I'm a little behind here, too many lights in the "obsolete box". Makes me feel a little guilty and I've already got several lights in mind to buy. I need to gear up and move some out so I can start the cycle over. Who knew that a Gerber Trio would start me down the road to so many HDS/Ra, Surefire, Zebra, and Quark lights. Almost all the "angry blue" lights are gone and the number of cool white lights keeps diminishing, I'm stuck on "neutral white".

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to have an application for each light. As technology and my preferences evolve, I replace some lights with newer ones. I try to sell or give away the lights that no longer have an assignment. I'm a little behind here, too many lights in the "obsolete box". Makes me feel a little guilty and I've already got several lights in mind to buy. I need to gear up and move some out so I can start the cycle over. Who knew that a Gerber Trio would start me down the road to so many HDS/Ra, Surefire, Zebra, and Quark lights. Almost all the "angry blue" lights are gone and the number of cool white lights keeps diminishing, I'm stuck on "neutral white".

you know, it would be a shame to get rid of the old lights, as nutnfancy said, when you buy a light, its like taking a snapshot of time because the technology of these flashlights are ever-evolving and if ever, those lights of long ago will no longer be offered in newer models. Flashlights have come long way...