Camping Trip

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from a short camping trip, it was nice to get some fresh air and get away for a little while. While we were out there I got a chance to do a little evaluation of a few lights. The INOVAX5, SFM3, SFM6, and a UK LIGHTCANNON. Were the lights to be evaluated. Once it got dark out came the lights and it was time to gather a little tinder for the fire. I took the lightcannon with fresh rayovac max plus batteries in it and started to look around a bit. Within three to five minutes it shut off and wouldn't come back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif It was done for the whole trip. The Inova was used a lot and like the other two surefires performed flawlessly. Whlie using the SFM6 however for extended periods of time maybe 8-10 minutes the light would go dim very fast and go out. I thought I blew a bulb but after a minute of two I could turn it back on for a few seconds before it went out again. And after a cople hours I will light up for even longer periods of time. I guess this is just due to batteries draining too fast? Also the batteries got VERY hot. Too hot to actually hold. Is this normal? Anyway after the batteries were totaly drained I disposed of them in the fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yes I know I shouldnt do that but it was kind of fun watching a small fireworks show of nine batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The trip ended with a bear sighting and a crazy fox that seemed to like our company, since once blinded with the SFM6 he would let us get within ten feet. And even afterward did not leave for twenty minutes.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the M6 shutting off was probably due to the thermal fuse of the batteries tripping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it have lit again after the fuses were tripped? I always thought it was an irreversible cutoff.

123a

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by thermal fuse?
I wasn't aware that the m6 had a fuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Oh, I guess you mean the batteries have a thermal fuse?
Weird

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the batteries should work after they've cooled off...apparently the thermal shutdown of lithium batteries was on issue when used in the surefire 12PM, but the M6 was supposed to have solved the problem by spreading out the current draw over 6 batteries instead of 4.

i'm not sure the shutdown was caused by the batteries, but that was the only reasonable conclusion i could arrive at. perhaps the place woodsman camped at was particularly warm? or the heat from the incandescent lamp could have spread to the batteries. i really don't know, and someone who actually owns an M6 would be in a better position to comment on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

123a, the M6 itself does not have a thermal fuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What brand of 123s did you use in your M6? It's interesting to note that it shut off so quickly...

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Nerd, they were fresh Surefire batteries. It was the first time I ever needed to use the m6 for that long at once. I don't like the idea of an emergency situation and having the m6 shut down after a few minutes. People could die.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you using the high output lamp assembly (500lumens) or the standard 250 lumen lamp?

kev1-1

Enlightened
The M6 was designed for use during tactical entry situations and thus was only intended to put out blinding light for a few minutes. This 'thermal shutdown' may not be a design 'fault' as such...simply a compromise of output over run time.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
kev1-1,

That's precisely where I was going with my question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If the HOLA was being used, then the problem is not with the Surefire. The M6 was designed as an "assault light" used for light-and-move-quickly operation (very intermittent in nature) and not sustained operation. I agree with your assessment.

CM

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I had similar results trying to do a runtime plot on a UBH with a P91 LA. Ran about 3-4 minutes and shut down....was very hot. The plot is in the Run - Time sticky in the Results Forum.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
CM, the 500 lumen lamp was being utilized.
I was not aware of the short burn time when using the 500 lumen bulb without giving it a break. Man, I might have looked to the x990 if I knew that. Anyway for the most part my usage is not tactical unless someone breaks into my house. However, I have needed a light to look for lost people in the wilderness. My new aquisition was for desperate measures sort of speak. And to see downed game in the total dark. I will bring the m3 along as always, and I will also and keep fresh batteries in it with the 125 lumen bulb. My Lightcannon is not reliable enough for a fishing trip.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
woodsman said:
...I was not aware of the short burn time when using the 500 lumen bulb without giving it a break. Man, I might have looked to the x990 if I knew that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Woodsman,

If you really feel the need for a 500 lumen M6-sized light with decent burntime I'm afraid you're out of luck with both the M6 and 10X. The technology simply isn't there yet.

However, If you want a very bright relatively long-burning light similar in size to the M6 you might want to consider the Tigerlight FBOP (8"). I haven't seen its output in lumens posted but I would guess at least 200 lumens. It is a very bright light that will keep a fairly steady output for 45-60 minutes. I haven't seen measured specs, but that is the impression given by a number of posters. It is rechargeable which accounts for the steady output but also means a nonrenewable light when you're out in the wilderness. If the Tigerlight had easily replaceable battery sticks, it would be my choice for a relatively small very bright, steady output light

Another possibility is an UltraStinger along with a spare charged battery stick for 1.5-2hrs of steady bright light. It's long but relatively light and slim. If size and weight aren't major considerations then one of the better combinations of brightness and runtime would be a MagCharger with PowerStream 1/2D 2.5Mah batteries. Posted runtimes exceed two hours.

Or a Mag 2C mod running on three or four 123 batteries (as first discussed by Lemlux) might be a consideration as a very bright light with easily carryable extra batteries. For that matter a 9P with P90 for runtime or SRTRH/N2 for distance is also a possibility.

Still another possibility are the PILA lights with spare LIion batteries.

But if you just need a relatively small superbright light for brief moments of intense illumination the M6/HOLA is still the champ.

Brightnorm

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
brightnorm. I have been looking at the tigerlight for a while now, and I am thinking about picking one up. It sounds like a nice light at a reasonable price. Thanks for the suggestions, If I pick one up I'll post a short review of my opinions of the tigerlight. Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
woodsman said:
brightnorm. I have been looking at the tigerlight for a while now, and I am thinking about picking one up. It sounds like a nice light at a reasonable price. Thanks for the suggestions, If I pick one up I'll post a short review of my opinions of the tigerlight. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be discouraged if the beam is a bit inconsistant. That has been a minor problem with the Tigerlight but it's a great light anyway. I use one and I've been happy enough with it to buy another one.

One caution: It's important to turn the light off when it starts to dim. Do not operate the light in a dimmed condition because you will shorten subsequent runtime.

BN