Upgrade from Fenix LD10 R4?

Weyland

Newly Enlightened
Hi all - first post here!

I've been EDCing a Fenix LD10 R4 for a while now and I'm very happy with it, however being a typical guy I always want more, so I've been looking to see if I can find something that will give me a (noticeably) brighter light in a similar sized package. While I've got other single AA (Nitecore D10 and Infinity Defender) and CR123 x2 (Fenix PD30 and Surefire E2DL) lights, I haven't yet got any single CR123 lights; would this be the way to go?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You already have a nice collection of very good lights there, so if I were you, I'd pick up an HDS Clicky/Rotary (everyone should own at least one HDS). I'm personally waiting 1-2 months for the High CRI model to come back in stock, but if you dislike a warm beam and prefer a cool one, there are tons of those for sale all over the place.

Barring that, maybe try a light with a rotary interface? The Jetbeam RRT-0 with it's infinite adjustment is very nice and priced reasonably.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Nuetron 2AA would be a little brighter and floodier,
The Fenix TK21 is coming out soon, has an XML and runs around 480ish lumens.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick to single cell light, the nuetron 1c is the single cr123.
Quark 123 r5 is nice too, and so is nitecores Ex11

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS recommendation is a good one, and is what I'd buy next if I were you. It can run on a Li-ion RCR123 rechargeable.

If you like the AA lights then another suggestion would be to get a light that can run on a AA sized Li-ion rechargeable (14500.) Those types of lights get huge boosts in output. The 14500 has basically the same capacity as the RCR123 Li-ion. I'd recommend a Quark AA for this or the Thrunite Neutron 1AA with the XM-L LED. Both accept the 14500.

Quark AA - ClickHere
Thrunite 1AA - ClickHere

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

LD 10 - 120 lumens;
PD 20 - 190 lumens; 1.6X brighter than LD 10
PD 30 - 235 lumens. 1.95X brighter than LD 10, 1.2X brighter than PD 20
All 3 lights are 21.5 mm wide.
LD 10 - 100 mm;
PD 20 - 78.5 mm; (The twisty PD 10 is down to 73 mm.)
PD 30 - 118 mm.

Since you already have CR123A torches and presumably a stash of batteries I do not see why not. A big jump in lumens in a smaller body.

As to getting a PD10, PD 20, E1B or HDS that is up to you.

Weyland

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the suggestions guys!

The HDS looks interesting, the Neutron 1C even more so and looks like it should be very bright! The latter doesn't appear to have a clip though, are they available?

I been looking at a few of the lights suggested here (Jetbeam RRT-0, Fenix PD20, Nitecore EX11, various Quarks) so looks like single CR123 is the way to go! Is the Nitecore Extreme still worth getting or is it a bit long in the tooth now?

Probably got a slight preference for a clicky switch, but open to rotary too.