Malkoff        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prostate exam...crap!

Flashaholic*

Mpr Prostate exam...crap!

Setting my appointment for my prostate exam, I don't look forward to this. I think it's a waste of time, but I've head the horror stories. What questions do I need to asked but don't know where to start.

chiphead

Default Re: Prostate exam...crap!

You might find better medical advice at Mayoclinic.com, or by Googling "prostate exam" instead of a flashlight forum.

This sounds horrible. I am lucky I'm still quite young and have a few years before this happens. Always better to be safe though isn't it.
    Good luck!

Marmaduke the forum gives all kinds of information and advice from real people . Much easier than spending hours trawling google.

I guess I would want to know about wine and candlelight . Seriously, I am in your shoes, or will be soon, and I do not know anything about it yet. I wil hold off on any EDC jokes.
    I hope that all goes wel

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
    Setting my appointment for my prostate exam, I don't look forward to this. I think it's a waste of time, but I've heard the horror stories. What questions do I need to asked but don't know where to start.

chiphead
    You should be aware that a very high percentage of men actually die with Prostate Cancer ... They don't die OF Prostate cancer but it is there nevertheless when they eventually die of something else.

The initial examination is nothing to be worried about ... I had my first examination about 50 years ago when I was in my twenties ... I ended up walking round the surgery on tip-toes dragging the doctor behind me with his finger doing the inspection ... If you relax , it is perfectly OK and you won't dislocate the Doctors finger either.

About ten years ago when I was visiting my Doctor on another matter , I asked if I could have a PSA (blood) test done as I was going rather too often to the Loo ... My PSA was over ten so I had to have further tests and biopsies ... I was put on medication which helped to reduce the number of nightime toilet visits ... Over the last few years , my PSA went up into the twenties and I had yet more tests including a "magic-eye" examination of the bladder ... I am now on more medication to shrink the prostate and it is working great.

Unfortunately I also know of several men who were too embarrassed or scared to go for the tests ... Unfortunately they are no longer with us , having left it too late to get help.

I'm 73 now and although I have other non-related health problems , I can still enjoy my life ... I just take all the pills and get on with life.

Every man should have the Prostate test ... Don't be shy.

Enlightened

OMG, it's not a waste of time and is over before you know it.

The exam part has been painless, for me at least. The part that gets me is the PSA blood test because my veins are very small.

This is one of those cases where 'what you don't know can kill you'. Same for a colonoscopy test, esp. if your family history has occurrences of it. I'm 54 and have had 4 normal exams.

Good luck on your test, the first one is always the worst.
    Last edited by robertrock; 03-28-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Arc-AAA, SF (E1L, L1+F04), HDS (B42XR x2, U60), Novatac 120P, Fenix (P1D, L1D, L1P, LD01, PD20, MC10), Inova 24x7, Maratac AA, Stylus Pro AA, Sunwayman M10R

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post

Marmaduke the forum gives all kinds of information and advice from real people . Much easier than spending hours trawling google.
    Got it, kind of like getting some input (no pun intended) from the chaps at the pub. Good luck!

It's really no big deal, chiphead. I'm sure it's much worse for the doctor. Why don't you offer him a headlamp beforehand?

Geoff

might help if the doctors good looking.

Flashaholic*

I quite like it myself but then my Doc is qiute attractive.

Flashaholic*

Good point!

Flashaholic*

Thanks due.
    chiphead

Flashaholic*

Four...ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by robertrock View Post
    OMG, it's not a waste of time and is over before you know it.

The exam part has been painless, for me at least. The part that gets me is the PSA blood test because my veins are very small.

This is one of those cases where 'what you don't know can kill you'. Same for a colonoscopy test, esp. if your family history has occurrences of it. I'm 54 and have had 4 normal exams.

Good luck on your test, the first one is always the worst.

Flashaholic*

That only happens in Penthouse Letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I quite like it myself but then my Doc is qiute attractive.

Flashaholic*

Funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    It's really no big deal, chiphead. I'm sure it's much worse for the doctor. Why don't you offer him a headlamp beforehand?

Geoff

are there any questions to ask . i dont think so. the 'digital' exam looks for texture and lumps. and is apparently more reliable than the PSA test tho less palatable ,(for some). but any findings here are far from conclusive for cancer because enlarged (swollen) prostates are common and follow up investigation would then be needed. that is when you ask questions.

cheers . and dont chicken out the PSA is no substitute.

If you mean a digital exam that's nothin. No doubt it feels odd and it's no fun but it only takes a minute and it's over.

You guys must have had a better urologist than I had (if you had a cystoscopy). It was definitely painful and it feels exactly as you would imagine it would. (like trying to fit an SR90 into a straw if you catch my drift) I was so shocked by the sensation I accidentally hit the assisting nurse. It was just a reflex but I hit her pretty hard. As if I didn't feel bad enough from the test itself. Anyway...everything was OK so it was good to know symptoms were from a benign condition. My wife made me go because her friend's husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer even though his PSA was in the single digits.

I do agree it's worth getting it done...and a colonoscopy too. We all want to be here for whatever technology comes after the LED! I expect to EDC a small pocket flashlight that delivers 1000+ lumens and will run for an hour before I kick! No rush mind you.
    Last edited by recDNA; 03-28-2011 at 07:15 PM.

i reckon i was happier before i googled cystoscopy.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    I had yet more tests including a "magic-eye" examination of the bladder ... I am now on more medication to shrink the prostate and it is working great.
    I assume that this test is a Cystoscopy ... The surgeon squirted some anaesthetic first before putting the 'scope in ... I don't know whether all these 'scopes are the same , but mine had a light and a fibre optic lens plus a drain tube plus a tube for inflating the bladder with air or water ... All in something much smaller than a pencil ... The anaesthetic made me jump as I wasn't expecting it ... As I was apologising to the nurses for saying "S**T" , I noticed the picture on the large colour TV as the probe went in ... I didn't feel any pain or discomfort with this ... The surgeon explained what the various bits were and pointed out an extra lobe on my prostate that shouldn't have been there ... He explained that it could be removed by surgery or it could be shrunk by medication ... This extra lobe was apparently the reason why I needed to go more often to the loo ... A bit like a dam on a small river really ... My "dam" was holding back over half a litre even when I had finished ... It is now only a few millilitres with the effective medication ... They measure the amount left in the bladder using ultra-sound techniques.

Anyway ,we continued up into the bladder where he inflated me to make it sort of spherical and after examinating it thoroughly , he said it was perfect ... I was then deflated and rinsed out ... The surgeon made a tactical error with the drainpipe and both he and the nurses got wet ... The probe was removed with absolutely no discomfort.

I then had to sit and drink a couple of cups of water to make sure that I could pass water OK ... This took a while as I was already running on empty ... I was warned that there would be some discomfort when passing water for a couple of days ... This is true but not eye-wateringly so ... The Nurse had to check the colour of the urine and said that a Chardonay or Rose would be perfectly accepable ... Mine was perfect ... I had to drink lots of water to flush things out and after three days was functioning perfectly and painlessly.

Having had biopsies done on my prostate on several occasions , I can understand why some men are apprehensive about it ... But I look at it like this ... I'm still alive.

It's not as bad as childbirth ... That is based on my Wifes experiences having had four children.

If you think back, there have probably been times in your life, parties, family dinners, where you ate an unreasonably large quantity of food and then paid for it dearly not long after when the processed result tried to come out all at once - your prostate exam won't feel nearly as uncomfortable as those times. Bottom line, you've already been through worse..

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke
    Got it, kind of like getting some input (no pun intended) from the chaps at the pub. Good luck!
    Wow below the belt..... Pun intended.

Flashaholic*

Just noticed in todays newspaper in an article about Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Prostate Cancer is the most common form of cancer in men in Britain ... More than 35,000 men are diagnosed with it every year ... Most are aged over 50 and over a third will die of it.

I know that the examination is a bit of a pain in the Ar*e , but it is better than the alternative.

The earlier it is caught the better the chances of living ... Everyone over 50 should have the test.

Go for it !

I could watch an TLC special with someone bleeding from their eyes without flinching, but this discussion of pipes and scopes going in where things only come out makes me a little weak.

What kind of led do you reckon is at the other end of the fiber optic?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

For those about to have their first biopsy , here is a letter I sent to several friends who were about to have the same inspection ... I felt that a bit of humour wouldn't go amiss , as they were all a bit apprehensive (and that was the brave ones).

I have since had several more biopsies and the last few all took eight or ten samples ... I just go in "zombie-like" now , as I know what's going to happen.

This is a true account.

I reported to the 'Reception Desk' as per the invitation letter at 1100hrs prompt ... At 1105, a very large jovial nurse took me to a cubicle where I was met by a large jovial nurse ... She took me into the cubicle and told me to get undressed and to put on a frock ( plain blue ) and to come out when ready ... This I did, only to be told that the opening should be at the back as that was the bit that was going to be looked into ! ... I did a quick change and she seemed happy with my elegant attire.

She then gave me two huge Anti-biotic tablets and a glass of water and said 'Just in case,' whatever that meant.

I entered the torture chamber which was occupied by the boss man (5'4" high) and a straight-faced tall lady (6'0") and the previously mentioned large jovial nurse.

I realised that if the surgeon had been taller he would have been a brain surgeon.

Mr X-----, the surgeon, (name with-held for legal reasons) began to tell me about the proposed probe into my rectum and the examination thereof of my prostate gland ... It seems that a probe somewhat like a police truncheon (but silver), was to be inserted into the rectal passage and the scanning process (by ultra-sound) would show a pretty picture of the prostate gland ... A spring-loaded needle would be inserted through a diagonal hole in the truncheon and pushed through the wall of the rectal passage till it reached the prostate gland ... I would be warned of the firing of the spring-loaded device which would make a loud noise as the needle was shot into the gland to take the biopsy sample ... He said 'You will feel a prick' to which I replied 'I do' ... I realised, as they all laughed, that they had a sense of humour, in particular the tall straight-faced lady, which surprised me.

I was guided by the large jovial nurse to lay on my left-hand side in a sort of foetal position ... The tall lady told me there was a rail mounted on the wall that I could use to steady myself with if required ... 'Do I grip it between my teeth ?', I enquired and quick as a flash Mr X----- said 'No, we have a leather strap for that purpose and specially for you it is coated with chocolate' ... I new they were fibbing 'cos they all laughed again.

Anyway, to cut a short story long, they inserted the truncheon which was somewhat uncomfortable and they looked at the large television set ... I felt somewhat deprived as I was not able to see the movie and had to chat to the large jovial nurse ... It is quite difficult to hold a serious conversation with someone whilst on the blunt end of a truncheon ... I heard a voice say 'You will feel a prick' (plus the accompanying chuckles) and a loud twang like an airgun being fired ... They helped me down from the wall and asked me if it hurt ... It actually didn't hurt but the noise startled me.

Anyway, they did this six times to get samples and then removed the truncheon ... The Surgeon found it better to put his foot in the middle of my back for the withdrawal of the probe. (Only joking).

He told me that the prostrate was not enlarged and that the scan showed no abnormalities and that if the biopsies were O.K, I would probably have to have the PSA tests every six months just to keep a check on things ...
    I got dressed and was back with my Wife within half an hour (though it seemed longer).

I will be sent a letter with an appointment date for some time in July when the results of the biopsies are known.

I will apparently bleed for a couple of days, which is normal, and by then will be able to walk without copying John Wayne in his cowboy films ... I have to have two more huge Anti-Biotic tablets at 2200hrs.

Well, there you are. I was a brave little Indian and didn't cry !!! Us Welsh boys are hard !!!

That was written the day after my examination and I was walking properly within a few hours and the very slight bleeding lasted three days ... Having now had several of these biopsies , I still jump when the "airgun" goes off , even though I know it is going to happen ... Unfortunately amongst my circle of friends , there are at least two-thirds that have had this done.

If this prolongs my life , I'll just keep doing as I'm told.

Anything up my arse=they'll have to stick the needle in my arm first. Had a lower GI once, awake, and it was pure hell in the worst sense.

Rich

U
    Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    For those about to have their first biopsy , here is a letter I sent to several friends who were about to have the same inspection ... I felt that a bit of humour wouldn't go amiss , as they were all a bit apprehensive (and that was the brave ones).

I have since had several more biopsies and the last few all took eight or ten samples ... I just go in "zombie-like" now , as I know what's going to happen.

This is a true account.

I reported to the 'Reception Desk' as per the invitation letter at 1100hrs prompt ... At 1105, a very large jovial nurse took me to a cubicle where I was met by a large jovial nurse ... She took me into the cubicle and told me to get undressed and to put on a frock ( plain blue ) and to come out when ready ... This I did, only to be told that the opening should be at the back as that was the bit that was going to be looked into ! ... I did a quick change and she seemed happy with my elegant attire.

She then gave me two huge Anti-biotic tablets and a glass of water and said 'Just in case,' whatever that meant.

I entered the torture chamber which was occupied by the boss man (5'4" high) and a straight-faced tall lady (6'0") and the previously mentioned large jovial nurse.

I realised that if the surgeon had been taller he would have been a brain surgeon.

Mr X-----, the surgeon, (name with-held for legal reasons) began to tell me about the proposed probe into my rectum and the examination thereof of my prostate gland ... It seems that a probe somewhat like a police truncheon (but silver), was to be inserted into the rectal passage and the scanning process (by ultra-sound) would show a pretty picture of the prostate gland ... A spring-loaded needle would be inserted through a diagonal hole in the truncheon and pushed through the wall of the rectal passage till it reached the prostate gland ... I would be warned of the firing of the spring-loaded device which would make a loud noise as the needle was shot into the gland to take the biopsy sample ... He said 'You will feel a prick' to which I replied 'I do' ... I realised, as they all laughed, that they had a sense of humour, in particular the tall straight-faced lady, which surprised me.

I was guided by the large jovial nurse to lay on my left-hand side in a sort of foetal position ... The tall lady told me there was a rail mounted on the wall that I could use to steady myself with if required ... 'Do I grip it between my teeth ?', I enquired and quick as a flash Mr X----- said 'No, we have a leather strap for that purpose and specially for you it is coated with chocolate' ... I new they were fibbing 'cos they all laughed again.

Anyway, to cut a short story long, they inserted the truncheon which was somewhat uncomfortable and they looked at the large television set ... I felt somewhat deprived as I was not able to see the movie and had to chat to the large jovial nurse ... It is quite difficult to hold a serious conversation with someone whilst on the blunt end of a truncheon ... I heard a voice say 'You will feel a prick' (plus the accompanying chuckles) and a loud twang like an airgun being fired ... They helped me down from the wall and asked me if it hurt ... It actually didn't hurt but the noise startled me.

Anyway, they did this six times to get samples and then removed the truncheon ... The Surgeon found it better to put his foot in the middle of my back for the withdrawal of the probe. (Only joking).

He told me that the prostrate was not enlarged and that the scan showed no abnormalities and that if the biopsies were O.K, I would probably have to have the PSA tests every six months just to keep a check on things ...
    I got dressed and was back with my Wife within half an hour (though it seemed longer).

6I will be sent a letter with an appointment date for some time in July when the results of the biopsies are known.

I will apparently bleed for a couple of days, which is normal, and by then will be able to walk without copying John Wayne in his cowboy films ... I have to have two more huge Anti-Biotic tablets at 2200hrs.

Well, there you are. I was a brave little Indian and didn't cry !!! Us Welsh boys are hard !!!

That was written the day after my examination and I was walking properly within a few hours and the very slight bleeding lasted three days ... Having now had several of these biopsies , I still jump when the "airgun" goes off , even though I know it is going to happen ... Unfortunately amongst my circle of friends , there are at least two-thirds that have had this done.

If this prolongs my life , I'll just keep doing as I'm told.
    And you needed this due to a high psa or symptoms or just for fun?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    U

And you needed this due to a high psa or symptoms or just for fun?
    The first two ... I didn't class this type of inspection as fun !

There is only a certain amount of information that can be gained from the finger test ... The rectal probe gives a pretty picture on their TV , which I couldn't see since I was facing the wrong direction ... Whilst they were there , they took a few biopsies which luckily were OK ... Unfortunately the biopsies are a bit like the proverbial "needle in a haystack" and since the ultrasound pictures can't see much detail , they just seem to take pot luck in the choice of sample area.

Every year or so as the PSA increased I was given the same test , though they did take more biopsies ... Still nothing nasty was found.

In the end (pardon the pun) , it was decided to do the examination up the front as far as the bladder ... My PSA was in the twenties by then ... Again nothing abnormal was found , but at least I could watch the big TV picture whilst they worked.

The two lots of pills that I'm on have reduced the size of the "spare lobe" of my prostate and also have reduced the PSA to about Six ... I will need to keep having PSA tests every six months till the PSA stabilises at a new reference point ... I will then be able to have all further PSA tests done at my Doctors surgery rather than at a hospital visit.

I don't really mind as long as they prolong my life.

I now also don't have to plan my long distance trips via easily accessible toilets.

Enlightened

Awww just bend over and relax.

Flashaholic*

Reminds me of the comedian telling about his FIRST prostate exam where he's bent forward, thinking to himself.."Oh god, please don't let me get a hard on.."

It's no biggie. They grease that glove up so bad and they're in and out before you know it. Sure, it sucks a little bit and is a bit embarrassing but like the guys said, you need to know these things. The worse things
    about it in my opinion is that you've got that lube ALL over your butt by the time he's gone.

In any case, THIS might help

Mind you, it's a colonoscopy but I LOVE this clip

For those who don't know, Lou Rawls had a big hit with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1go72c5H8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast