Newbie with question

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi all,
just joined so I thought I'd say hello from the UK and ask a (probably) silly question ! I've spent years as a service engineer using cheap crappy flashlights and decided to spash out on a SureFire L4. I still can't believe the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The beam spread is perfect for my job.
Only thing is I was wondering if a Xenon lamp could be fitted for occasional use, or will the electronics in the L4 make it impossible ?

TIA for any answers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mike.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
mikehill
Welcome to CPF!
The head from a Surefire E2e will fit your L4.
You might want to call Dan at http://www.tacticalwarehouse.com/
Dan sometimes has Surefire parts.You can use MN02 lamps for
25 lumens with 2.5 hours of runtime or you can use MN03
lamps for 60 lumens for 75 minutes of runtime. You could
also use a KL1 (1 watt LED) for 17 lumens with 4 hours of
runtime. I hope this helps.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoghead's post shows how versatile this flashlight is.
It's a great pick for a newbie, congrat's.

GregR

mikehill

Enlightened
Thanks guys :) I was hoping the electronics wouldn't mean I was stuck with the LED head, not that it's not great ! I'm surprised that when looking at SureFire's website, that they don't list the Xenon lamps as accessories for the L4. Maybe they could clarify what extras go with which lamps ?
If I get a MN03 lamp, do I need a new bezel etc... or is it just the lamp ? Sorry if my questions are a little stupid ;-)
Cheers, Mike.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need the bezel from an E2e or E1e(they are the same)with an MN02/03 lamp. Once you have these, you just unscrew the L4 bezel and replace it with the E2e bezel and lamp.
Surefire doesnt list these as accesorize for the L4, i think because as far as they are concerned, they are 2 different models. Im sure theyd rather you buy an L4 AND an E2e instead of having the parts to swap around at will.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikehill,
You might want to post a "want to buy" in the "buy/sell/trade" section. Unless I'm mistaken these can be had at a cheap price. There's really nothing to them.

It's too bad, if I had seen your post sooner, I would have had one for you. I just chopped up my spare for a mod.

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi kakster and Chop,
thanks for the advice, I now understand what's needed. I'll try in the BST later. It'd be great if someone could post one over, avoiding too much import duty that is ;-)
Last thing I bought from the states was a William Henry knife. With the VAT, and shipping, and VAT on the shipping .... it was crazy ! Having said that, I now have another on the way ...
Ta, Mike.

onelight

Enlightened
You might want to consider finding a E1E, your L4 will fit on the 1 cell body (that is what the TW4 is) and the E1E head with a 6V bulb will fit your L4 the combination gives you a variety of options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
Right on onelight! I have the E1E, E2E, TW4, and L4, and basically there are lots of interchangeable parts on these lights. Just adding an E1E would be your best next purchase, IMO, as onelight said.

David <><
PS... don't put that 3v bulb on a two battery body... it is just a flashbulb when you do that, according to Dan at TW.

David <><

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikehill,

I think there is an SureFire A2 in your future. Both lamps in one light on command!

A-6

mikehill

Enlightened
Ah but... those 3 led's wouldn't be as bright as my one. And that xenon wouldn't be reflected as well either ;-)
No, an A2 is not for me. The L4's beam spread was just "made for me" :) Will look out for either an E2e head or complete E1e though.

Mike.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly agree with the others that have said your next purchase should be an E1e.

With that combo you can have a short, compact E1e with LED head
and
you can have a L4 with E1e bezel and incandescent lamps with 25 lumens output running for 4.5 hrs (If I remember right) or 60 lumens 75 mins.

Your L4 and an E1e can be mixed and matched so many ways.

GregR

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double A,
I think that the MN02 will run for 2.5 hours.

Mike,
I think you're getting the point that all of the E series stuff is interchangeable. You just have to watch bulbs. Well, not really. Don't even waste your money getting the MN01, unless you get an E1e that comes with one. The KL1 is a little brighter and runs longer.