• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: *SPF* FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For sale: An extremely efficient low-voltage thrower, put together to outperform the Malkoff M60 with regards to both throw and runtime. The price is $209 -> $169 shipped CONUS. I am also happy to ship internationally, but at the buyers expense.

Beginning with the FM 2xC P60-type body (not the newer FM 26500 bodies), I added a SureFire turbohead and (with Justin Case's help), a custom-built low-voltage LED tower (1xCR123, 2-3x NiMH/alkaline, 1x LiIon). The LED tower is built with a neutral-tinted SSC P4 LED and a Badboy NexGen 1000 driver board, delivering ~ one amp to the LED from a mere ~2.4 Vin.

Output is approximately 240 emitter lumens. I do not have lux figures for this configuration, but I have found it to be an exceptionally good thrower (beamshots are included below). Regulated runtime is ~3-3.5 hours on 2xC NiMH's or even Alkalines if desired. I have done a continuous run with a pair of alkalines and this configuration handles it without even breaking a sweat, still yielding ~10-20 lumens after ~11 hours IIRC.

I did an extensive thread on this light here - I posted much information in that thread - a review plus extensive beamshots. Please feel free to read up on this light in that thread.

The condition of the FM body and SF turbohead is virtually flawless. I have the original box and instructions for the SF KT-2 Turbohead (but no longer have the accompanying MN-15 lamp assembly). This light has spent virtually all of its life sitting on carpet underneath my bed.

I have held back for a while on selling this light package, but somehow have ended up with too many lights :thinking: and need to thin things down. This is a combo that functions exceedlingly well together and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I am not interested in parting this out at this time - it's almost as if this light is more than the sum of its parts. :)

FMTH002.jpg

SFTH001.jpg

FMTH009.jpg

FMTH003.jpg

SFTH015.jpg

SFTH009.jpg

SFTH011.jpg

SFTH013.jpg

Just a few beamshots fom my prior thread:
SureFire C3 / Malkoff M60 / 2x17500 (high-voltage) as a comparison:
028M60Underexposed.jpg

FM 2xC w/ SF Turbohead (w/ 2xC alkalines):__FM 2xC w/ Malkoff M30:
(Note that the hot spot from the Turbohead (below, left) appears to be quite intense, and is somewhat superior to the high-voltage M60 configuration above. It also soundly trumps the adjacent M30 hotspot to the right (both are running at ~2.5v), at which voltage this LED tower / Turbohead combo significantly outperforms the Malkoff M30 in total output. This was the primary goal of this build.)
033FM2xCUnderexposed.jpg
037FM2xCM30Underexposed.jpg

Note that the M60 above is operating on ~4.5 Watts, while the low-voltage LED tower is operating on only ~2.5 watts - an extremely efficient setup compared to either the benchmark Malkoff M60 or M30.

The four included AccuPower LSD NiMH C cells are a bit rough externally, but still function well. Since receiving them I have taken good care of them and find them to be still quite serviceable for this light. They seem to hold most of their charge for many months, but I have not evaluated them extensively.

cells.jpg

--------------------------

Furthermore, there are many LEGO options with this SF Turbohead and LED tower (if you would like to use the P60-type FM body in another application), as the driver functions exceedingly well on 2-3 NiMH's / alkalines, 1x CR123, and 1x LiIon as well:

A one-cell P60-type body and a single CR123 or RCR123/IMR123:

A two-cell body and a single 17670 or 18650:
(do not use 2xCR123's)
I have tested this configuration with an AW 2600 mAh 18650 and obtained ~2.5 hours of runtime.

A three-cell body and 2x AA NiMH's:
(do not use 3xCR123's or two LiIons)

As well as three NiMH's or alkalines in the FM 3xC body:

-------------------------

The price include CONUS shipping (US first class mail). Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to drop things off at the Post Office, but I will always send you a PM immediately after the package is sent to keep you informed. Please send me a PM or post in this thread once you have received your item. I am happy to ship this internationally, but at the buyers' cost. My past experience is that shipping small items internationally via USPS is relatively inexpensive. However, I cannot guarantee successful international delivery.

I do PM, but unconditional posts of Ill take it in this thread take precedence over PMs unless the PM communication is subsequently confirmed by posting in this thread (either by me or by you). If you want to purchase an item, it is best to post in this thread rather than sending a PM - that makes things more difficult for everybody, especially in the situation of conditional 'take-its' via PM.

PayPal is just fine, but within a day or two, please. Other payment methods may also be acceptable. All prices are Paypal/Standard and include the PP fees, send me a PM if you would prefer another payment method.

Tracking and insurance would be a small additional fee - let me know if you would want this prior to making a payment, or I will assume it is not required.

As always, your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed upon receipt of the light. If you are dissatisfied with this for any reason, I will be happy to refund the entire purchase price.

------------------------

I am not interested in any trades at the moment, but I will however need some lathe services as noted in post # 4 below.

Again, I would normally provide more information on this unique but also very flexible configuration in this sale thread, but I have previously written a lot on it here, so please feel free to check out that thread for more information.

Thank you,
Kestrel

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: **Price Drop ** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cel

Bump and another price drop to $189 shipped CONUS.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: ** -> $184 ** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Bump and $5 price drop to $184 shipped CONUS.

If any machinists out there have an interest in this, I will be needing some misc. lathe services (including 17mm boring on two SureFire L-series bodies) and would be happy to accept some lathe work as partial credit on this light.

Also, if there is any interest in individual components of this light, parting out would be a possibility.

Thank you,

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: ** -> $179 ** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Bump and $5 price drop to $179 shipped CONUS.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: ** -> $174 ** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Bump and $5 price drop to $174 shipped CONUS.

stallion2

Enlightened
Re: FS: ** -> $174 ** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

HOW IS THIS STILL HERE???
light is bad as hell, K!
if i weren't already 'vested in a Milky U2 i'd be all over this.
Free bump

Kestrel

Flashaholic

HOW IS THIS STILL HERE??? light is bad as hell, K!
if i weren't already 'vested in a Milky U2 i'd be all over this. Free bump
LOL, thanks for the vote. :huh:

This light does a few things very well: a high degree of throw with a very minimum of input power. Substantial ~3.5 hour runtimes, all without lithium-ions. This is one build where each of the components seems to work together extraordinarily well IMO.
Regards, :wave:

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: **$169** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Dropped to $169.

A good deal here folks - just add up the price of the component parts if you're tempted by this light. :)

Last edited:

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: **$169** FM 2xC body, SF TurboHead, LED tower module, 4xNiMH C LSD cells

Hi Kestrel,

I'm interested in the FM body & switch. Sending PM.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

What emitter was that reflector designed for?

The SF TurboHead was designed for SureFire incandescent tower lamps like an MN15 or MN16. It just so happens that it also works well with LEDs like the Seoul P4, Cree MC-E, Cree XP-G, and apparently the Cree XM-L.

You could replace the SSC P4 with a lower Vf emitter like an XP-G or XM-L to get longer run time and some additional output.

wolfy

Enlightened

Ill take the SF turbohead and light engine if Inliner takes the FM body.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

A PM was rec'd early yesterday evening regarding purchasing the complete package, so a SPF is pending a subsequent PM reply.

Edit: This package is SPF per PM.

Thank you,

Last edited: