Angryfox        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wave of Makai 6V XM-L lights

Default Re: Wave of Makai 6V XM-L lights

Thanks for confirming Don, albeit bitter sweet as I have been considering getting a 6V Makai for a few years - well, more fool me for delaying.

I must order a 2x123 pack - to complete the set! - but do I get a Makai head or an Aquaram? Need to look into 16650 cells but already run 14500, 16340, 18350 and 18650 so do I want yet another type? Decisions decisions - but not to be delayed too long this time!

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Thanks for confirming Don, albeit bitter sweet as I have been considering getting a 6V Makai for a few years - well, more fool me for delaying.

I must order a 2x123 pack - to complete the set! - but do I get a Makai head or an Aquaram? Need to look into 16650 cells but already run 14500, 16340, 18350 and 18650 so do I want yet another type? Decisions decisions - but not to be delayed too long this time!
    Perhaps you know this, and (or) I misunderstand you, but the AquaRam series and the Makai series are not interchangeable.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I am aware (but thank you for the concern*). I want the 2x123 pak regardless as I can always find a use for it.

The question is then do I also buy a complete Aquaram, or a Makai head. Looking around i can get a 16650 cell with 2500mAh which is more than I thought - 1000mAh less than my 18650 but still pretty good. If this gives me say 90+ mins of 1200mA use - which I assume it will?? - then the Makai head might be the better choice.

Does driving an LED at 6V, 1200mA differ from 3V, 1000mA? If current is more influential than the Makai with HIVE driver would probably be a good choice for me.

* meant genuinely, although it reads sarcastically to my UK eyes.

Banned

Wow, looks like I bought a 6V Makai just in time.

I am aware (but thank you for the concern*) ....
    * meant genuinely, although it reads sarcastically to my UK eyes.
    No worries. I have both, so am happy to answer any comparison questions you might have, if I am able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    No worries. I have both, so am happy to answer any comparison questions you might have, if I am able to do so.
    Thank you. Iíve asked twice over the years and you have answered - twice :-) The Makai has more throw than the Aquaram so I will go for that, I think. Not sure whether to go for XP-L HI or XP-G2. Do you know what the difference would be?

I used to have a Haiku in XP-G2 and liked it, although I got it before the HIVE came out.

If you also have a Haiku, how does that beam compare to a Makai? If you have a Surefire G2X Pro, that would be a very helpful comparison too.

Thank you. Iíve asked twice over the years and you have answered - twice :-) The Makai has more throw than the Aquaram so I will go for that, I think. Not sure whether to go for XP-L HI or XP-G2. Do you know what the difference would be?
    Depends on the exact emitter bins

I used to have a Haiku in XP-G2 and liked it, although I got it before the HIVE came out.

If you also have a Haiku, how does that beam compare to a Makai?
    More flood (and less than one-quarter the lux)

If you have a Surefire G2X Pro, that would be a very helpful comparison too.
    Sorry, I don't ...

Archimedes - thank you for your comments, read the comment from a year ago and will give the XP-L HI a try

Don - email sent :-)

Archimedes - thank you for your comments, read the comment from a year ago and will give the XP-L HI a try ....
    An excellent choice, congrats !

An excellent choice, congrats !
    Cheers, will let you know my thoughts when it arrives in the UK

Package arrived. Not had a chance to test the Makai yet but the 2x123 body is a work of art. Much more interesting than the 2xAA body, the contouring fills the hand very nicely. Really hope youíll consider getting another run made when they run out.

I agree that the 2x123 is the most pleasingly "balanced" design of all the various sizes available.

I agree that the 2x123 is the most pleasingly "balanced" design of all the various sizes available.
    To my eye, the 2x123 with Sundrop head is one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

That Sundrop does look good, very nice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345