re: zebralight sc51w with a fenix AD401 diffuser with pics!

gramps416

Newly Enlightened
re: zebralight sc51w with a fenix AD401 diffuser with pics!

I just got my zebralight sc51W. my first "real" flashlight. :D awesome.

anyway, I inquired a while back on this forum about using a diffuser with this flashlight. One person mentioned something to the effect of using an clear plastic cd case, scratched with sandpaper, however i did not go that route.

zebralight sc51w head is 22mm thick. I decided to take a risk and buy a fenix AD401 diffuser which fits a 20-21.5mm bezels. Slightly too small for the zebralight, but for $8, I thought maybe I could shave the diffuser with a dremel rotary tool, making the hole slightly larger to fit the zebralight. Part of the reason of using this diffuser is because its hart to find tiny hinges!

and the results.....
IMGP4924_001.jpg
IMGP4927_001.jpg
IMGP4919_001.jpg
IMGP4922_001.jpg

So the fit looks acceptable enough to me. it is definatley not "sharp" looking"
The fit or compatibility, I would give an 8/10. it can snap in place, but then the lid wont close. It is a tight fit, but it's not perfect. If I pull at the diffuser, it will come off.

lets see how the pics look.... also, i can't give you the camera settings of the SLR, because I did not write them down.

IMGP4947_001.jpg
diffuser not engaged.

IMGP4949_001.jpg
diffuser engaged.

one more

IMGP4951_001.jpg
diffuser not engaged

IMGP4952_001.jpg
diffuser engaged.

conclusion:

I wanted a diffuser for flexibility of light types. the diffuser may benefit from a little bit of dremeling, but I would lose the lip. Not worth doing that.

The effect of the diffuser worked. the light is diffuser enough to use without losing too much light.

this is not a perfect fit by any means, given that the shape of the sc51w is not cylindrical, the head has a slight "bump". The real question is, am I going to leave the diffuser on with the flashlight? Darn tootin!

-g

p.s. I noticed on high, mode, the flashlight gets very very warm. Is that normal? (never having experience with a "real" flashlight)

mrlysle

Enlightened
Re: zebralight sc51w with a fenix AD401 diffuser with pics!

Gramps416. Yes, on "high" mode, those LED's WILL generate some heat, however, the ZL's have then heatsinked very well. (Also the reason for the sharp edged ribs around the head, heatsinking) They say "necessity is the mother of invention" and you've done a fine job with the diffuser! :welcome:

Deal4

Enlightened

[QUOTEp.s. I noticed on high, mode, the flashlight gets very very warm. Is that normal? (never having experience with a "real" flashlight)[/QUOTE]

Hi gramps416,
Congradulations on a nice light!
I just got the SC51 myself and absolutely have fallen in love with it! I too have found that on high it does get pretty warm. I don't know about your light, but mine isn't so hot that I can't hold on to it, just is quite noticable. I usually don't run it on max too much so that doesn't bother me.
I did check reviews on this light before I bought it and other have had the same with their lights. Should not be a problem. This light has a lot of light coming out of a very small package so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by a little heat.
Thanks for showing what you were able to do with the diffuser! Nice job!
Regards, Shad

Thefo

Newly Enlightened

Nice job!