True story - Surefire saved me... no, not my life, dude...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, every now and then people come up with their true stories and since I just became "enlightened", I think it's part to share my own...

First of all, I became flashlights junkie about 9-10 years (EDIT: MONTHS) ago... my first flashlight was Surefire LX2 that I was looking at for months and $200 sticker was WOW... anyway... in the meantime I purchased about 15 other, mainly C and P hosts but also E... and where I come from (Bosnia & Herzegovina) there is NO Surefire dealers so I purchase over net to there I'm deployed... now... B&H citizens are approx 70% poor, 20% middle class and 10% rich class... Our doctors are lower middle class... I count myself in higher middle class, with what I make being away from my family... So who would want SF cannot afford it anyway and who can, don't care (since majority made money by illigal way)...

Back to my story... so in that period I purchesed G2 OD among them... being widely awailable all around, I gave $10 to the dude when he tried to get rid of it once his batteries were drained... So while I was home on my last R&R, my wife and me decided to go on a trip... but since the city we planned to see was relatively close and we didn't want to spend one night of our precious vacation in cheap motel (or expensive hotel) we decided to start our travel few hrs after midnight... My body is still capable of running at full power more than 24 hours straight, thanks to my past's training history... So, there we were, traveling by the speed of light when at one moment, during passing by a huge truck on part of the road where passing is not allowed due to slight curve, with speed around 90mph (in 40mph zone), a traffic cop came out of their (am)bush and stopped us... After very polite introduction, he asked me if I know why I was stopped and such... He called me out to their vehicle, explaining during the walk the consequences this might rise upon my license and wallet... BUT while I was exiting my vehicle, I took G2 OD that was in my door compartment in my hand...

So as we got to the vehicle, I saw his colleague sleeping (lol) and he took his book, went to the blank form page and started with date and time, doing that by holding Mini Maglite (yup... black one) under his armpit... So I raised my G2 and lit his task... he looked at me and was: "HEY, THAT IS BRIGHT" (P60 in 2011 BRIGHT, AWESOME)... anyway... I made a comment like "this would be in much better use than that Mini Maglite" and he agreed... without continuing to fill that ticket... So he asked "Where one can buy this thing"... "Dunno, man... I got this as a present from a dude but it's so bright, and I'm not into flashlights that much so I was planning to give it to someone who can put it to better use", pardon me being diplomat... anyway... He nodded... sign... "If you really like it, I couldn't think of better person to get this particular one"... he smiled so much, it was so cool... So he said "light me more", continuing to fill the ticket, to my surprise... but when he got to "name" part he wrote some other dudes name... "I don't get it", I said, as I put the flashlight on the hood, trying to leave it no to slide off... He smiled, "don't worry, that's inspector that usually drives pretty fast around here and he swaps vehicles every now and then... internal affairs will not investigate it once they see his name and I couldn't throw the ticket away as all are with serial numbers and we have to have all acounted for"... he did tell me "I know it's dark with full moon, I know there is not much vehicles on the road, I know that Vectra is a fast vehicle but please slow down, laws are here to be followed so we have safer traffic"... I thanked, turned back and went to explain everything to my wife... As we passed him, he flashed twice with his new toy towards us... priceless... :grin2:

Did I slow down ??? Sure did... The rest of the trip was super comfortable that even my wife noticed... anyway... Surefire G2 incan saved my wallet PLUS driving license... later I found out that I cound get like $300 ticket (hey, it's Bosnia) but would lose my license for 3-6 months with 2 points... All that for used $10 Surefire that is now in a great use by law enforcerer... well, until he depletes the batteries (they are expensive in Europe, especially in my country, like $5 a pop)... I'm not proud by what I did but am proud on SF taking out of problems I put myself in... and will stay loyal fan to them (well, as long as they have good offer, that is)...

P.S.
Good thing I didn't grab my REAL vehicle flashlight I always have inside, G2L-BK body and bezel with M61WL and G2L-FYP Z59 tailcap... the G2-OD was planned for what it was used for... And I wish I can see that cop again as I prepared 2 sets of Panasonic CR123's for him... :) He slowed me down without a ticket...

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Bleh. Traffic tickets are the pits. Still you were driving way too fast.

You'd think people would slow down too since gas prices are high. Not quite $4/gallon like it was a few years back but for the money I spend on gas I could be buying a 4Sevens Quark every week.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat story Tana! Really enjoyed reading it...not sure how that would go over in the U.S.A., but then again, I've only ever been pulled over once in my life, and I'm 32. Glad yer able to enjoy some SF goodness over there though!

Duglum

Newly Enlightened
Bleh. Traffic tickets are the pits. Still you were driving way too fast.

You'd think people would slow down too since gas prices are high. Not quite $4/gallon like it was a few years back but for the money I spend on gas I could be buying a 4Sevens Quark every week.
Erm... $4 a Gallon? That would be my dream.. i paid about $7.60/Gallon a few hours ago... and that was Diesel. Normal Gas is even more expensive.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Erm... $4 a Gallon? That would be my dream.. i paid about $7.60/Gallon a few hours ago... and that was Diesel. Normal Gas is even more expensive.

It's partly a matter of distances- charge that kind of price for American gas and the world economy will not only collapse but explode and burn. Charge $4 and it will only collapse like it did last time.

Which of course are both things some would actually like, he added darkly.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh... I drive Opel Vectra C with 2.2 liter turbo diesel engine and 125hp... My tempo driving (I'm well paced driver who is rather fast in curvy roads, find speeding on highways rather boring) is rather fast, for pretty much everybody around me... anyway... on our roads I manage 42 mpg with my middle class vehicle, 8 years old... my dad gets better avg with 47 mpg, similar setup, same car (he likes mine better than his vehicle since I invest in mine, he's too lazy to leave his car with mechanic)... and prices are always little less than in Germany (when I left from vacation, I paid little less than $6 a gallon... so... it's all relative... He does save on gas but for some reason, he's driving way slower than me but always gets caught speeding, with those ultra low tickets that get paid in nearest post office or a bank and you don't get any negative points on drivers license... so at the end, compared to him, I save money... lol...

A.O.W. - guess what ??? My bd is 4th of July 1978 - so 32 still... lol
jtblue - I know... the topic is not something a smart man would be proud of... lol... everybody expect SF to save your LIFE or at least the guy next to you... :)
M.G. - Thanks for warm welcome... I joined once in the past, made like 20-30 posts but I cannot remember my old password and my old email account crashed so no pass recovery as well... oh well... this forum experiences similar problems every now and then so I really feel like at home... :)

LeifUK

Enlightened
It's partly a matter of distances- charge that kind of price for American gas and the world economy will not only collapse but explode and burn. Charge $4 and it will only collapse like it did last time.

I doubt the world economy would collapse and burn. The last crisis was due in large part to bad debt originating in America but distributed world wide. All that would happen is that America would become less competitive, and/or you would no longer be able to consume as much fuel as you do.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
...you would no longer be able to consume as much fuel as you do.
That is easier said than done. It would take 10 years for those gas guzzling SUVs and light trucks (google "Ford F150 king cab") to rust out even if no more are sold. And stores would have to move back to downtown.
I wanted to get a Philips Endura LED light bulb (true 60W equivalent 800 lumens) but there are no Home Depot stores in Hamilton a town of 600,000. They are 10 miles out in the 'burbs where there is room for giant parking lots.
So people are still buying gas and cutting spending elsewhere bringing the economy down.

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I doubt the world economy would collapse and burn. The last crisis was due in large part to bad debt originating in America but distributed world wide. All that would happen is that America would become less competitive, and/or you would no longer be able to consume as much fuel as you do.

Everything, consumable and not consumable, is delivered by trucks (lorries). People routinely drive for up to 2 hours to get to work. Business travel is by airline. Electricity, air conditioning, and heat are provided largely by burning petroleum or natural gas, or things which are tied to the price of gas, like coal.

Hopefully we won't have to see who is right- but if you think the price of fuel is irrelevant to the economy, I already am....