Modern replacement for UltraStinger: Work light for inspections

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
Looking for suggestions for a flashlight for a friend who does home inspections.

He currently uses a Streamlight Ultra Stinger. Claimed lumens on those are about 295 I think but that seems to be exaggerated a bit or perhaps only at top of charge.

Requirements:

LED
Rechargeable
250+ lumens on high
Durable
Not so small it disappears (operable with gloved hand)
1 HR MINIMUM runtime on full output (preferably longer.)
No bigger than Stinger type light

Thoughts? THANKS!

shane45_1911

Enlightened
The request for 250+ lumens seems contrary to any other home inspector's requirements that I have seen. Most want something with a minimal brightness level for inspecting nooks and crannies up close, electrical panels, plumbing and fittings, ductwork etc. - where you do NOT want something overpowering that blinds you and washes out whatever it is that you are looking at.

Does he really want/need 250 lumens, or is he perhaps just "unenlightened" to the usefulness of a less-bright light?

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who isn't a home inspector but did have to do retrofit electrical work in dropped ceilings (requiring inspection) 250 lumens is nice to reach out and touch things. a 100 lumen surefire L4 was adequate actually, but 250 would have been nice. I'll also recommend you stay away from cool white LEDs, there were number of times I had to borrow a buddy's incan minimag to double check wire colors when I was using the L4.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
Looking across a dark crawlspace in an old basement to examine a physically difficult to access area for pest damage or water infiltration, or peering up or down a chimney - I see why he likes a powerful light. Certainly less lumens are preferable for close inspection of details - which should be addressable in a multilevel LED.

I based the 250 lumen requirement on the fact that he seems content with the output of his UltraStinger. However, when I fired my 4Sevens Malstrom G5 (350 Lumens) next to his Ultra, the Ultra beam was completely overwhelmed, so I suspect he is getting not much more that 200 lumens currently. Let's say then that 250+/- would do the trick, multilevel even better.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's say then that 250+/- would do the trick, multilevel even better.

Multilevel is a definite. What kind of rechargeable batteries will he be using (NiMh or Li-ion?) Lots to choose from.

I'd recommend the new ThruNite Neutron 2AA (using NiMh rechargeables) 260 lumens - ClickHere
or
The new ThruNite Neutron 2C (2 CR123 or 2 RCR123) at 340 lumens - ClickHere