14w HID Maglite super thrower 330,000 lux!

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

This is my first Mag mod, the aim of this mod was to get the maximum possible throw out of a standard Maglite host while keeping the size, runtime and costs reasonable, I decided to go HID as it has 2-5 times the candlepower of a 52mm aspheric while having similar efficiency, good colour rendering and a more usable beam pattern with spill.

My main inspiration for this project was Ra's 10w mini HID monster found here

My lights main components are:
3D Maglite host
Solarc hid bulb and regulated 14/9.5w ballast
High quality electroformed reflector
3 dimensional bulb focusing mechanism
Anti reflective glass lens
12 eneloops in a battery holder

Its specs are:
Calculated 800 OTF lumens on high or 400 OTF lumens on low
Over 1.5 hours on high or over 2 hours on low
Amazing throw! (I have ordered the DX lux meter so I will have some numbers within a few weeks, I am hoping for 200,000-300,000 lux @1m!)
The total cost is around £140 ($225) excluding batteries.
Weighs about 870g

Update:
My luxmeter has arrived:)
I have measured the lux at 15m and then converted it back to 1m. I then added 20% on to the value as the DX meter reads consistently 20% too low.

At the middle focus I managed to get an impressive 205,000 lux
:)

The anode hotspot focus gave me 324,000 lux while the cathode hotspot focus gave me an amazing 330,000 lux@1m
:rock:
This means it can light up an object 575m away with 1 lux.

This was above my expectations so I am very happy as this puts it up with the higher powered HID and very large reflector incandecent spotlights.
The very small difference between each hotspot surprised me but my meter is calibrated for incans so the bluer anode hotspot could indeed be brighter than the warmer cathode hotspot.

The original Maglite switch turns the light on and off. The two LED's tell me when the batteries are getting low or they are almost dead, a comparator controls them. The small tactile switch changes the ballast from high to low, it is controlled by a 4017 counter.

DSC00492.jpg

12 AA eneloops in a homemade battery holder power the torch for a calculated 1.5 hours on high (1000 bulb lumens) or over 2 hours on low (500 bulb lumens). I decided to use eneloops rather than Li-ions mainly because of safety and also the capacity difference is relatively minor unless I was use 3 unprotected 32600s, also I have the option of using alkalines if necessary. One thing I found that was a big advantage is that 4 eneloops can fit in a Maglite without boaring but it is a very tight fit and the batteries must be positioned so the place where the label overlaps is facing into the centre.

DSCN2620.jpg

In order to get maximum throw out of a HID bulb you need to focus on the hotspots inside the arc formed next to each electrode. These 0.03mm big hotspots have a significantly higher luminance/surface brightness than the rest of the arc, this allows you to get significantly higher throw but this can only be done effectively with a high quality reflector and no protective bulb cover that causes "optical arc displacement". The hotspots are clearly shown in this picture of the arc projected onto paper using a small lens. The different colours in the arc are caused by the overfilling of the bulb. The arc gap of this bulb is about 1.4mm

DSC00516.jpg

In order to accurately focus on a hotspot I decided to buy a high quality 2" electroformed reflector by Phoenix. When I was ordering from them they accidentally got the shipping cost wrong so they kindly sent me a similar reflector for free. I have decided to use this one, as it is shallower so it has given me more room behind the reflector for the bulb and focusing mechanism. I needed to file it down a bit as it was too wide to fit in the bezel. The Maglite head was quickly spun on my schools lathe so the reflector sits deeper and the bezel can screw down completely.

DSC00490.jpg

I have also designed a focusing mechanism to move the bulb from side to side to gain perfect focus on the hotspot. It was inspired by the Eznite 10w HID's focusing mechanism except I move the bulb in a aluminium ring instead of the ballast. The low friction Teflon plumbers tape on the thread stops the head wobbling while still allowing the head to be screwed on and off.

DSC00486.jpg

Here is an underexposed white wall shot showing the brighter central <0.5º spot formed by the tiny hotspot next to the anode, it is surrounded by the dimmer corona from the rest of the arc. This corona stretches out quiet far, (wider than in this picture) making this beam pattern very useful as it has a very bright hotspot along with a wide corona surrounded by a very wide spill! The very bright hotspot is capable of hitting low clouds or illuminating objects at well over 500m! The colour of the beam isn't as blue as in the pictures, in real life it looks to be around 5500k on high.

DSCN2614.jpg

This beam shot is focused in the centre of the arc.

DSCN2616.jpg

Cool reflector shot:cool:
DSCN2611.jpg

Any questions?

Last edited:

flex76italy

Enlightened
Re: 14w HID Maglite super thrower

Hi, PM sent...but for other questions.

Thanks for your help!

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened

Flex your PM inbox is full so I can't reply. You need to delete some messages.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey this super throw Mag build is really nice. I want to make my own, but lack the skills.

FYI: The Solarforce Masterpiece Reflector is huge compared to a Mag Deep Rebel Reflector and it fits a D size Mag. Since its deeper and bigger I bet you would get more throw then even your current reflectors. The Solarforce Masterpiece reflectors are sometimes sold in marketplace for $25 or $50 for the entire bezel assembly. These are SMOOTH and metal too.

PM comming your way.

bigC

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened

I beleve the Solarforce Masterpiece Reflector is designed for LED's. If used with an HID, since the focus is right at the bottom of the reflector you would waste around half the light out the hole, so the shallower the reflector the less light is lost out the back because the focal length increases. Also unlike LED's the depth of the reflector doesnt effect throw with HID's or incans because they edmit all their light over 360 degrees where as with LED's they edmit most of their light forwards so a deep reflector helps to capture and throw as much light as possible.

My reflector is a very high quality electroformed parabolic reflector, it should be higher quality than the solarforce reflector. I need a quality reflector to be able to focus on the tiny 0.03mm^3 hotspots also my reflector should beable to capture around 70% of the light edmited from the bulb with the rest forming the spill.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice job, looks like you've read some of RA's posts :)
Would be interesting to see the lux reading difference between the two focusing mods,
it doesn't look all that different in the pictures, the beam from 2nd one is probably more useful.

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened

Nice job, looks like you've read some of RA's posts :)
Would be interesting to see the lux reading difference between the two focusing mods,
it doesn't look all that different in the pictures, the beam from 2nd one is probably more useful.

And I have read a lot your great builds/mods:)
If I remember correctly, didn't you used to have the DX lux meter and was the correction factor you used to compensate for a high colour temperature +20% or was it something else?

Thanks

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Ledpwr,

No, I don't have any questions, because there are no questions left to ask !! Well exept probably "Will you please hurry up with the cp-measurements?"

This is great! And the fact that you are quite a newbie at this site makes it even greater! You indeed should get high cp-ratings from that super torch..
The beampattern pictures look very promising. The theory predicts a cp-output closer to 200,000 because of the lower reflectivity of the Rhodium coated
reflector (aprox 76%) But I remember measurements of 225,000 cp on the Eznite I tested earlier, so it should be that or even beond. We'll see.
But a very great job indeed! Nice to see people inspired by my creations. My mini-HID still is very alive and kicking, I use it alot. I don't have the focusability
but you'll probably agree after a few months, that concentrating the focus at the arcs hotspot is all you need: The big region of sidespill around the central
spot is very usable, but thats my opinion.

Great work!

All the best,

Ra.

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the kudos Ra

The reflector is aluminium coated so it has 90% average reflection and the bulb is about twice as powerful as the eznites so it should be interesting :)
I do agree that the hotspot focus is the most usefull but the large colour variations across the beam are visible with this focus, hopefully they will die down with age.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

90% is better of cource, but aluminium coatings deteriorate much faster by the UV, emitted by the bulb.
But it sure will give you at least 500-700 hours of high performance.
I didn't mind the color variations because I use torches to enlighten things, and the color rendering does not bother me much (within limits of cource)
But if it bothers you, I must tell you that they won't 'die down' with age, at least not the first 200 hours of use.. They are caused by the overfilling of the bulb,
so not all ingredients evaporate during operation, especially at low power. Also, when you remove the protective bulb to prevent 'optical arc displacement', the bulb is more
cooled by its surroundings, also causing the ingredients to not evaporate as much as they would with protective bulb. So you need to provide the bulb with at least
nominal power, and prefrably somewhat overdrive.
A twice as powerfull bulb does not mean twice the candlepower.. It will produce more lumens, but the 3-D size increase of the arc (1.27 v 1.4mm arc length) is significant
Each type of bulb has its own surface brightness, you can win some by overdriving the bulb, but going to far will destroy the electrodes and blacken the quartz envelope.
I use a 12-13 watts overdrive on my mini HID, which is just within (acceptable) limits..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

And I have read a lot your great builds/mods:)
If I remember correctly, didn't you used to have the DX lux meter and was the correction factor you used to compensate for a high colour temperature +20% or was it something else?

Thanks

Thanks & Yes, I've been using Dx meter for a long time, after reading various reports from people saying DX meter reading too low, varying from 15% too low to 40% too low, I decided to adopt DX+20% & have used that formular for many lux readings until recently, I finally broke down & bought the Extech EA30 Lux meter. I was pretty happy to see on the 5-6 lights I compared, the DX+20% is pretty close to my EA30 number.

It's not related to Kelvin correction. The DX meter is consistent in reading low from Led to HID to short arc.

Ra,

I finally went out & did the 100 meter lux readings of my 4 short arc spotlights, including the Maxa Beam, so no more beating me up on this :)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Moon-Blaster&p=3605000&viewfull=1#post3605000

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who the 'blieb' is Kevin...? LOL...

Ra.

Who the 'blieb' said kevin? I don't see that in my OP? :crackup:
LOL, I paid my dues on the 100 meter lux, not you are beating me up for spelling?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK then..... Who the 'blieb' is Kelvin..? :thinking::thinking::thinking::crackup::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Of course I'm beating you up for spelling: There is nothing else left to beat you up for, is there?

But lets not steal this thread with these hopefully not so fatal beatings... Sorry Ledpwr...

Ra.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Color temperature, the kelvin,
did I spell that wrong too???

Walterk

Enlightened

Great build!
Nice to see the Phoenix reflectors being used, finally some reference on CPF on those.
I witnessed Ra's mini HID, it really is a lovely thrower. Seems to me you'll get the arc focussed well, looks pretty close already.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened

Great Mod!

I do like your home made battery holder. Simple yet does the trick. You just gave me some ideas!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Color temperature, the kelvin,
did I spell that wrong too???

No, you didn't.. I just wanted to act like a noob and ask you about kelvin...
But no more beatings...:grouphug:

Ra.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would you care to share how much the reflector cost? Also how can you adjust the bulb focus without moving the ballast?

Thanks Mac

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would you care to share how much the reflector cost? Also how can you adjust the bulb focus without moving the ballast?

Thanks Mac

Not my build, but I have heard that these are like $55 or so when they are made for LED's.

So, it would be good to know what these costs when they are designed for the HID.

bigC