New Mag 3D. Anyone played with it?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I stopped by Ace today, to get some steel plate to make an air dam for my radiator, and decided to stop by the flashlight aisle. I decided to take a look at the Mag's, to see if they updated anything (like making the soli an E01 killer). Checked out their D-Cell Mag's, and looked at the LED's to see if they had any ancient Luxeon ones. To my surprise, I saw a white LED board, with an XP-G emitter. The new packaging says 104 lumens, but I can't recall the runtime. Sounds like they're playing it smart, and underdriving the LED.

If I can spare the money, I'm grabbing one next paycheck.

Anyone have beamshot comparisons of the new ones vs the Rebels and old Luxeons?

I'm uploading pics from my phone as I speak, so I'll post the new pics once they're ready.

Edit: Here's the pics:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/IMAG0126.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/IMAG0124.jpg

~Brian

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Pretty sure it's an XP-E. There is at least one thread on the subject HERE.

Ah, thanks, I totally forgot about the XP-E. When I get the chance, I'll stop by, and check it out again. The die lookid like it took up most of the dome, which made me think it was XP-G.

~Brian

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Looking at your picture it definitely appears to be an XP-E, though probably not a premium bin. Still, another step up. One thing we can be sure about is that it will have killer throw.

jax

Newly Enlightened
there also is a new luxeon mag out,i bought one in walmart maybe a month ago,its still a rebel but now it 138 lumens with ansi figures of 38000 candlepower and 377 meter throw,my first mag rebel had i think 114 lumens and less throw in meters..
wonder if the xp-e outthrows the rebel

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got lucky and picked up a combo pack XP-E 3D and Minimag Rebel with multimodes for ~$32 at HomeDepot I was shocked at how bright it was and how "clean" the reflector worked. Glad to see Mag finally got with the program, a low would be nice but babysteps...

I gotta get some of these new security torx keys to take the switch/tower out anyone know where they are for sale?

It looks like they increased the heatsinking on the tower too, unless its just for getting the cam on the tower to work with the wider diameter reflector opening

srfreddy

Enlightened
I got lucky and picked up a combo pack XP-E 3D and Minimag Rebel with multimodes for ~$32 at HomeDepot I was shocked at how bright it was and how "clean" the reflector worked. Glad to see Mag finally got with the program, a low would be nice but babysteps...

I gotta get some of these new security torx keys to take the switch/tower out anyone know where they are for sale?

It looks like they increased the heatsinking on the tower too, unless its just for getting the cam on the tower to work with the wider diameter reflector opening

Does it just look like the emmiters on a roundish pill, pressed into the light?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to the thread linked to above you'll see a picture that I took of the Rebel next to the Cree XP-E emitter on MagLED 3D cans. The new setup has a more massive steel insert, probably to increase heatsinking, but, it's ineffective as there's no thermal path from there.

WRT taking the switch out, there are more than a few discussions about that here as well. What I did is to take a 5/32" drill and carefully drill out the teeth of the Torx T8 set screw. This turns the setscrew into a 5/32" (or 2mm) Allen setscrew. Be careful not to drill through the set screw, just knock out the teeth preventing the 5/32" Allen wrench from working. It's far easier to do this than to find a long, thin T8 wrench that will fit through the on/off button or to buy the actual wrench from the 'Net. So far, from what I've seen, no one has found one other than the one that Mag makes and those only became available about two months ago.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
a low would be nice but babysteps...

You say that, but there are plenty of flashlight users that really like the simplicity of one mode - click, it's on, click, it's off.

I have several lights with output ramping from a low output to max output, but not everyone wants to learn a flashlight UI. For me the more complicated the better (within reason) but for many people the more simple the better. Even I have some nice simple single mode lights.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds about right. Most times when I show a non-flashaholic my lights and I tell them that it's a multi-mode light I then have to demonstrate to them what I mean. The usual reaction when I pull out a light is, "wow, that's a custom light?" with a lack of enthusiasm due to the light starting off on low. I then flip through the modes for them and they go "WOW!" I can't see Mr Joe Public buying a multi-mode light and actually using the different modes available to him.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
How to you think the output on the new Cree Maglite compares to the Terralux LED upgrade for the older Maglites?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
A note about runtime, it runs strong bright for 24 hours! its been on since 10pm saturday night and is below 50% output at this point 36 hours+ later but its still running
I'm sure if I turned it off the alkaline batteries would recover and I'd get some more out of it at around 50%

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say, because of this thread, I was in Walmart yesterday peering inside the top of every 3D Mag on the shelf until I saw that Cree staring back at me inside a nice black 3D. Almost picked it up too, but when I see a new Maglite, my mind's eye looks into the future at bursting leaking alkaline cells jammed up in a dead flashlight that I have to throw in the trash. :(

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2d
I bought it for a drop in and when I realized I couldn't get the switch out I put some batteries in and gave it a shot. Wow, throw is certainly impressive I bought another 2d(incan) for my drop in and kept this stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say, because of this thread, I was in Walmart yesterday peering inside the top of every 3D Mag on the shelf until I saw that Cree staring back at me inside a nice black 3D. Almost picked it up too, but when I see a new Maglite, my mind's eye looks into the future at bursting leaking alkaline cells jammed up in a dead flashlight that I have to throw in the trash. :(

I hear you and thats why I want to have it cut down and rethreaded for a single Li-Ion 26650 0r 32600

Oh by the way its been running continuous for 3 days now but its around 50 lumens output now

Nicrod

Flashaholic
You say that, but there are plenty of flashlight users that really like the simplicity of one mode - click, it's on, click, it's off.

I have several lights with output ramping from a low output to max output, but not everyone wants to learn a flashlight UI. For me the more complicated the better (within reason) but for many people the more simple the better. Even I have some nice simple single mode lights.

Ur right! That's why I still love my old black 3d mag. It's simplicity
When I want it. I like using the mag around the yard, for spotting blackwidows.
It's the oldschool mag with an led upgrade. The old led upgrade from mag when LEDs first starting catching momentum.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you and thats why I want to have it cut down and rethreaded for a single Li-Ion 26650 0r 32600

Oh by the way its been running continuous for 3 days now but its around 50 lumens output now

My first real light was a 4D Mag from back around 1990, and I still consider myself a fan, so don't get me wrong. :)

bstrickler

Enlightened

I assume this is off of Alkalines, and not NiMH?

I thought Duracell covers damage their alkalines cause to devices they are put in, or did they stop doing that?

Worst case, you can always get Ni-MH's, and never have to worry about that.

I wouldn't mind paying say $10 for a low-mode module, but they always have the module with the 10mm LED for low output. I personally like the single-mode on the Mag's, so a multi-stage for me would be a deal-killer for a Mag. The only multi-mode I've found I like is the Quark UI.

So.... Who's gonna mod one with an XM-L?

~Brian

Last edited: