Fenix E01 - blue tint on yours?

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to exchange/return my new Fenix E01. It's got a really blue tint, like you'd see on a cheap dealextreme bike light. If I don't have a good shot of getting a decent white LED, I might just keep it.

How do your E01's look?

Thanks.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to exchange/return my new Fenix E01. It's got a really blue tint, like you'd see on a cheap dealextreme bike light. If I don't have a good shot of getting a decent white LED, I might just keep it.

How do your E01's look?

Thanks.
You can try sanding the LED with some fine grit sandpaper, and polishing the reflector thingy, but its a pretty old light.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Mines pretty blue too however that is byproduct of the 5mm Nichia LED that Fenix use. I don't mind the tint as I only use this light for long runtime EDC otherwise I tend to use my Mini 123 TI for more light and better tint.

Last edited:

AaronG

Enlightened
They are known for having a purple tint. It's because of the LED they use.

If tint is an issue maybe you can trade it for an E05. It's similar but with a better tint, more output and floodier beam. It does have a much shorter runtime though. It'll run steady for about 2.5 hrs on alkaline or nmh. 5 hrs on an ultimate lithium. That's a VERY long time for typical EDC. I got one for my Dad and he's really happy with it.

Imon

Enlightened
I thought it was common knowledge that the E01 had a blue tint :laughing:

Yeah, mine has a blue tint but like someone else already stated that's overlooked by most flashaholics because of the E01's cheap cost, reliability, long runtime, and spot-on-regulation.

njet212

Enlightened
My E01 has purplish hot spot with blue corona. I think it is common tint color on most Fenix E01.

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
I thought it was common knowledge that the E01 had a blue tint :laughing:

Yeah, mine has a blue tint but like someone else already stated that's overlooked by most flashaholics because of the E01's cheap cost, reliability, long runtime, and spot-on-regulation.

Well thanks. On the balance, I guess I'm pretty happy with it. For some reason, I feel better about the purchase when they're all about the same (blue).

I saw the E05's too...but I don't really need the extra lumens (30 instead of the E01's 10 lumen). It's more convenient to not change batteries as often. Long run time and reliability counts for something, I just was expecting better I guess. I gave my old E01 to my little brother.

choombak

Enlightened
All my E01s' were blue, purple, and some other shades of blue. They also don't emit 10 lumens as they claim, since I find E01 less powerful than my Arc AAA-P that emits 10 lumens. I'd put those to ~7 lumens at best, ~5-6 at worst. They do make good gifts though, especially because of the 5 body colors Fenix offers.

-Amarendra

scout24

Flashaholic
As mentioned above, some attention to the LED makes a big difference. I use 0000 steel wool, and it mellows the beam out nicely,floody and "evens" the tint out. There are 10 of these scattered around my house, cars, and various bags, and they are all of similar tint. Load them with lithiums, they're bombproof and will work when you need them. :)

ragweed

Enlightened
Yep, mine is also more purple than blue. When yo need light I don't think it matters much.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a supposedly white 5mm LED that's not on the blue or purple side. Yep, My old E0 is blue/purplish and I'm ordering a new E01 just because I like it anyways.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Just to add another voice to the masses, I have a purple one here, with the one I gave to my father being slightly better, but still blue in tint.

Basically this is just a byproduct of the Nichia LED used, which have always had a pretty poor tint, but do come with the advantage of having great runtime at the e01's output levels and come in a self contained package (the reflector of the e01 being largely cosmetic)

Alternatives mainly trade tint for battery life - the e05 giving more output (but a much floodier beam, so similar actual look) with a reduced runtime and the LD01 giving us a choice of similar output/runtime as the e05, or boosting the output even more with a somewhat restricted battery life... Also check out the 47's preons and other similar lights, the names of which I have completely blanked at the moment...

I love the e01 - sure it isn't perfect, but it makes for an excellent backup or keychain light and has a fantastic runtime. Pop in a lithium primary cell and you have the perfect light to store for emergencies.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned above, some attention to the LED makes a big difference. I use 0000 steel wool, and it mellows the beam out nicely,floody and "evens" the tint out. There are 10 of these scattered around my house, cars, and various bags, and they are all of similar tint. Load them with lithiums, they're bombproof and will work when you need them. :)

scout tested it in one of the lost threads, if the tint bothers you, you should definitely try this out. The beamshots showed a really big difference. (Btw still have the E01 and E05 for the test, forum downtime kind of put me off some time, going to do them soon now. Is your thread really gone?)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have bought an E01 if any of them were anywhere near white.
Instead, I paid about five bucks more and got an E05. The E05 has a real nice white beam, is brighter, and is smaller than an E01. It's a sort of floody type beam.
MUCH better money spent, IMO.
Just a few dollars more, and a whole lot better flashlight.