Help with Surefire G2 update to LED

wiljen

Newly Enlightened
I've tried reading and all I am is even more certain that I don't know what I'm doing. I was given a Surefire G2 with a P61 assembly a couple years ago and I like it, but hate the battery life. My understanding is that the LED version has roughly the same output as the P61 but the battery life is infinitely better. I started looking at replacing the P61 assembly and there are myriad choices for doing so but all seem to be more worried about super bright 300 lumen output and then some run on 1 18650 instead of 2 123 cells. Others list you need a metal head or they overheat etc.

What I would like is a replacement assembly that meets these specs:

1.) output at least as good as the incandescent version
2.) battery life of at least 40 minutes on a pair of non-rechargeable batteries.
3.) Something that wont melt the light with continuous use of more than a few minutes.

Is there such an animal or am I better off ebaying this thing and buying something else?

Thanks in advance

Wiljen

ARA

Enlightened
One word Malkoff, try the M61WL specifically for plastic bodied surefires

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff...and a metal bezel to assist in heat management. If you want to keep it "stock", you can order a KX4 (120 advertised lumens; actual around 140-160). But, nothing really beats a Malkoff at the end of the day. Check out the W versions for more "incan" appearing light, F version for flood, and L/LL versions for longer runtime/less out-put. An "L" model will give you roughly the same out-put of the P61 with about 3.5-4 hours SOLID runtime.

Welcome to CPF BTW!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
As previously mentioned, the Malkoff M61's in WL or WLL flavor. Overall output of the WLL is similar to a P60 on fresh batteries and has around 10x the runtime. The WL has around 4x the runtime and double the output. On a pair of non rechargable CR123A's that's 4-10 hours which easily meets your criteria. On rechargable 123A's the runtimes will also meet your criteria. Depending on your P60 it may be a decent thrower, the LEDs tend to have a bit more flood, so to match throw I recommend the WL. No metal bezels are needed with these two low power modules (hence the L in the model name)

Last edited:

wiljen

Newly Enlightened
So am I better off with a $75 Malkoff, or buying some other light to start out with? It seems that at that price point, both are options.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there such an animal or am I better off ebaying this thing and buying something else?

And, another option, comparable in price to the Malkoff, is to order a Surefire G2X before the price goes up on April 1. I realize you may not be in the U.S. but the G2X meets your criteria. I have Malkoff's and G2X's, both are great for the money at current American prices.

The time honored CPF tradition is to get both...

wiljen

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the US so not an issue with overseas shipping etc. I understand the tradition but have several other hobbies that have the same tradition resulting in less cash flow than I'd like, thus the question of which one is the better choice rather than doing both.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Malkoff...and then you will slowly see your cash flow towards flashlights increase...Cause then you'll have to get a C2 and another Malkoff...and another.

Whatever you do, don't read this thread here... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Its-official.-I-m-a-C2-HA-addict.....-*part-2*

Check the Market Place though...you can save about $10 off a Malkoff (another testament too their quality is their high resale value).

wiljen

Newly Enlightened
Got the Malkoff M61LW and for the record, one should make certain you have a glass lens in front of it as even the lower power rating of the LW compared to the standard is enough to bubble the plastic lens that comes in the G2 if left on for an extended period. New glass is on the way now.

Heavertron

Newly Enlightened
I got a Nailbender XRE with a warm tint for my G2. About 200 lumens on high, and with a nice long runtime on a single li-ion on medium or low. I fitted a UC lens and I'm good to go. I think with thermal potting it was $40, so a bit cheaper than a Malkoff. Dave was very patient in answering my questions, and was happy to make recommendations. Also, it's still American made (I know all my American friends are patriots!).

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Got the Malkoff M61LW and for the record, one should make certain you have a glass lens in front of it as even the lower power rating of the LW compared to the standard is enough to bubble the plastic lens that comes in the G2 if left on for an extended period. New glass is on the way now.

Is this common with a 61L? I have one in a G2 and have never had a problem with the lense.Maybe i havent run it long enough...but it would be nice to know that the lexan would survive for a couple of hours if need be.

Cheers David

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say that it should be normal, and actually the very possibility of it occuring seems to go against logic. I've never heard of even a 3 amp XM-L or MC-E damaging a plastic lens. I run an M60WLF in a G2 and previously an M60 in another light and I've done extended runtimes exceeding 2 hours, without any significant warming of the lens that would be close to damaging it. So not sure what's happening with wiljen's light.

wiljen

Newly Enlightened
Mine was a very early G2 and may have just had a defect to begin with. It doesnt appear that the whole lens was melting or even a very large portion of it. Just that it bubbled right smack in the middle of the lens. I'm wondering if maybe it had some tiny bubble in it to begin with and the extra heat just helped it along. At any rate, glass lens in it now and problem solved.

5Sport

Enlightened
Hi my name is everyone on this board and I'm a flashaholic!!!!!

I bought my first M61 a while ago and just ordered an M61L.

I have several Surefires and a couple of Solarforce lights (as well as a host of other lights), and I must say, the Malkoffs are awesome. If the M61L is anywhere close to as bright as the M61, but with a 5 hour run time on full, I think that yoiu will be happy with it.

my .02

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff M61WL will be your best bet if your wanting similar output with improved runtime; the M61WL should run for about 5 hours on a fresh set of batteries.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like jtblue said, for G2 M61WL will be a great replacement for incan bulb but you get 5 times more runtime than P60 and slightly better output but incomparable and beautiful beam (plus you can run it with 1xP17670 rechargeable if you want for approx 2.5hrs)... but you need additional investment like said before, aluminum Z44 bezel for better head dissipation... My vehicle light is G2 with M61WL running on primaries... don't know about Lexan lens and heat generated by M61WL, I replaced mine with Borofloat from one older 6P I had, just to be sure...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say that it should be normal, and actually the very possibility of it occuring seems to go against logic. I've never heard of even a 3 amp XM-L or MC-E damaging a plastic lens. I run an M60WLF in a G2 and previously an M60 in another light and I've done extended runtimes exceeding 2 hours, without any significant warming of the lens that would be close to damaging it. So not sure what's happening with wiljen's light.

I totally agree. I built an SST-90 MagLite that's pushing out some serious lumens and it's doing it through the stock plastic lens. Even with the head/bezel scorchingly hot the lens is just fine. Yes, that light puts out some heat from the business end and it's not enough to melt the lens. I'd suspect that the plastic lens was bubbled before the Malkoff was installed and that you just noticed it after putting it in.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did no one mention getting a SUREFIRE LED REPLACEMENT UNIT? Oveready.com still has a few left in stock for $34.00.

Brand new GENUINE Surefire LED lamp

They have a few left for a reason...LOL! It's decent for what it is, but it had a lot of issues, and that's why SF replaced it so quick. It get's to hot, and there have been a few die premature deaths, it puts out little light for the power it consumes, horrible tint more often than not. It would have been a better module if it had been regulated. The ONLY advantage I can think of, is that it will fit in every SF set-up, where as the Malkoff will only fit in the basic bodies. LU10, L60 adapters, etc. Oh, and it fits in the SC1 spares carrier.