ZebraLight H51w or SC51w for EDC?

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
To use as an EDC light... If you could only have one, which would you choose the ZebraLight H51w or SC51w?

Please give your reasons why you would prefer one over the other.

Thanks in advance for helping me choose between the two. :)

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ZebraLight H51w or SC51w?

I EDC the H51w and would pick it over any hand-held flashlight again and again. Why? Because I can use it as flashlight, headlamp, neck light, desk lamp, overhead light, shirt light, belt light, hat light, etc. Check out the "Zebralight Mods" in thread in my signature for more information.

Seriously, the SC51 is another dime a dozen hand-held flashlight.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I had to choose just one of the two, I'd get the H. I prefer my SC50w+ to the H51w I have for EDC use because of the form factor though... it's easier to hold and use. For the majority of my EDC tasks, it works just fine. But, as David said, overall the H51w is more versatile and can be used for more than the SC, but I still prefer the SC for EDC use.

But as everyone here so often says; buy both! :D

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened

But as everyone here so often says; buy both! :D

LoL... I knew that would be forth coming B0wz3r when I started the thread, and almost put a disclaimer about only getting one. :)

davidt1 and B0wz3r, thanks for two excellent post... you both summed up quite nicely why I am having a hard time deciding between the two. H51w versatility, and SC51w EDC form factor.

Is the SC51w really that much easier to hold and use? It seems as though the H51w would be just as easy, just held differently. One of the reasons I was leaning towards the H51w other than versatility is because I don't want to have to twist the tail cap to lock it out. Lots of people with the SC51w say it turns on in the pocket, and I was hoping that the H51w wouldn't have that same problem since the switch is located on top.

I will be EDCing it clipped to my weak side pocket.

Please keep it coming... hearing everyones thoughts and experiences with these two lights are interesting and definitely help in choosing. :)

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened

While I agree with davidt1 assessment of the versatility of the H51 I strongly disagree that the SC51 is "another dime a dozen hand held flashlight". I have owned many many brands and models of modern hand held lights and the SC51 stands alone in its size, ergonomics and functionality. It is not perfect, haven't found the perfect one.

Also I don't use mine like davidt1 does or I would likely prefer my H51W to my SC50W. In all honesty I haven't given the H51 a try as an EDC. I am going to do that starting right now. When one gets use to a particular light it is hard to retrain.

I think you would like either one and without knowing the difference. Once your hand got programed to one it wouldn't like the other one as much.

I like the SC better because 99% of my use is as a conventional flashlight. When I need a head light I use the H51.(I am lucky to have the option)

Thinking about EDCing the H51, I wouldn't have the head band on it so I would have to dig it out and install the light in it. However I could clip it to me in a way that the SC couldn't. Seem there is always a trade off of some kind.

Good luck in your decision making, you will be pleased with either light.

pageyjim

Enlightened

SC 51W and get a clip to put it on a ballcap. Kindof the best of both worlds. I am looking for a twoway clip to do that if anybody has any suggestions. Although the H51 has advantages for other uses as already pointed out.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my H51 before they had the clip, so I've never really had the chance to EDC it the way I do my SC51w with the clip. That said, the H51w with the clip probably carries quite well.

I would like to point out one thing though in response to everyone who says the versatility of the H51w to be used as a headlamp makes it a clear winner. What exactly do you mean by EDC? To some that means riding in the center console of their car and occasionally being brought out in anticipation of use. To others it means riding in a bag that you almost always have with you. To others (me included) it means being clipped inside my pocket ALL THE TIME. Now, if that is also what EDC means to you, I would ask you what you are going to to with the strap and silicone holder when your light is in your pocket. Unless you also plan to stuff the strap in another pocket, or constantly wear it around on your head, it's not going to do you any good to have the H51w over the SC51w. Now, if your particular EDC scenario is one in which you can tote the head strap around with the light, you may well be better off with the H51w.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I agree with davidt1 assessment of the versatility of the H51 I strongly disagree that the SC51 is "another dime a dozen hand held flashlight". I have owned many many brands and models of modern hand held lights and the SC51 stands alone in its size, ergonomics and functionality. It is not perfect, haven't found the perfect one.

Also I don't use mine like davidt1 does or I would likely prefer my H51W to my SC50W. In all honesty I haven't given the H51 a try as an EDC. I am going to do that starting right now. When one gets use to a particular light it is hard to retrain.

I think you would like either one and without knowing the difference. Once your hand got programed to one it wouldn't like the other one as much.

I like the SC better because 99% of my use is as a conventional flashlight. When I need a head light I use the H51.(I am lucky to have the option)

Thinking about EDCing the H51, I wouldn't have the head band on it so I would have to dig it out and install the light in it. However I could clip it to me in a way that the SC couldn't. Seem there is always a trade off of some kind.

Good luck in your decision making, you will be pleased with either light.

I might have been too quick to call the SC51 a dime a dozen hand held flashlight. It shares the same wonderful UI as the H51 and is probably the smallest and brightest clicky light on the market. What I really meant to say is that it is like other hand-held flashlights in the sense that to use it you have to hold it with one hand.

I must also add that my H51w only became the amazing light that it is after some mods, of which the main ones are the cord headband/lanyard and the magnet. Here is a picture of my EDC lights: ZL H51w and Fenix E05. The E05 serves as a backup only and has not been used.
IMG_6430.jpg

I wear my H51w around my neck and use it right there most of the time. I even use it as a flashlight without having to remove from my neck. To use it as a headlamp I just move it up to my head. You have to excuse me if I chuckle a little when I hear people saying how versatile their hand-held flashlights are.
IMG_6281aa.jpg

The idea of clipping your flashlight to your hat and use it as a headlamp is appealing as long as you understand the requirements and limitations.

1. You have to have a hat. Can you wear one to church, wedding receptions, or your managerial job? I can wear my H51w in all these situations.

2. The beams of lights clipped to hat can not be adjusted easily. Try doing something like cooking or even reading in bed with a book on your chest and you will find out.

Last edited:

Thefo

Newly Enlightened

H51 for me, the right angle and removable clip sealed it for me...I love this light

HIDblue

Enlightened
To use as an EDC light... If you could only have one, which would you choose the ZebraLight H51w or SC51w?

Please give your reasons why you would prefer one over the other.

Thanks in advance for helping me choose between the two. :)

Great question starchaser...especially since I'm contemplating the same...albeit I'm trying to choose between an H51F and a SC51F. I already have the SC30 and it does tend to activate accidentally when carried in my front pocket. I like the right angle design of the H51 series though and find that it may pique my interest more so than the SC51.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the SC51w over the H51w because I intended the light to live on my night stand. When I grab a light in the middle of the night, I don't want to have to fiddle with it to discover and correct its orientation before I turn it on (it's too late for my night vision if I blast myself in the face).

But if I had intended to EDC it, I would have gone with the H51w so that I could just clip it to my phone holster or shirt collar to have hands free use without messing with a headband. Also, I find the button on the top of my H501w is significantly less likely to activate accidentally than the side clicky of my SC51 although, to be fair, I haven't had an accidental activation since I started clipping the SC51w to the back of my phone holster rather than clipping it inside my pocket.

--flatline

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the H51w used as a tactical light. The lanyard/headband is already attached. You can go from tactical light to headlamp in about 5 seconds. Try this with the SC51. You can't even do this with twisty flashlights.
IMG_6393.jpg

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
I don't have the H51 but I have been EDCing my SC51W. I like everything about it. It might not be perfect but it is the closest thing I have found.
Ether way I don't think you will be disappointed.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I find my old H50 very versatile, but one thing it won't do very well is "mouth hold". Here a regular light excels. That won't stop me from picking up a H51w or maybe the next generation.

Geoff

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my uses, my SC50w+ does about 95% of what I need my EDC light to do. I always carry it clipped in a pocket, and I've had few instances of the light turning itself on.

I do think the H51 is more versatile, and I've tried carrying it as my EDC light, but my issues with it are that it's hard for me to get used to the 'perfume bottle' style of holding it during non-headlmap use, and the clip is upside down for how I would prefer to use it for doing things like clipping it to my shirt or the like; I'd prefer it have the emitter on the top, rather than the bottom for using it like that. (Yes, I know I could reverse the clip, but it's just not made to work that way and is not as secure.)

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks davidt1 for the interesting, informative pics, and for everyone else's perspective.

haha... I don't know if you guys are making it easier, or harder for me to make up my mind. But please keep torturing me. :thinking:

I'm torn between the H51w and SC51w especially since I know I would like them both.

SC51w: I like the form factor for normal flashlight use, however to be honest having to lockout the tailcap to prevent accidental activations is a real turn off. I will be carrying it as my EDC light in my left front pocket, and I don't want to be having to twist the tailcap before activating the light every time I need to use it. Sometimes I only have one hand available.

H51w: I must admit that the versatility is very appealing to me, and I am drawn to this light for its different uses. I really like that you can clip it anywhere, and have the light aim outwards. I originally began looking at the H51w specifically so I wouldn't have to lock out the tailcap, and worry about accidental activation, because the button points down with this model. Is this true H51w owners if clipped to your front pocket?

Bottom line, the only reservation I really have with the H51w is... I'm not sure how I will like holding it for flashlight use. I wish I could handle both of them and use them some, but no stores here carry them. I will hardly ever use it with the headband, but I can see myself clipping it to my shirt, belt, necklace, etc. at times for hands free use.

I'd love to hear more from H51w owners about using it in-hand as a flashlight, how it feels using it that way, and from anyone else who owns the H51w and SC51w comparing them for conventional flashlight use.

Thanks

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both configurations and love them both, so I am not biased toward one or the other. I just want to make sure that you're not discounting the SC51w strictly based on the possibility of the switch turning on in your pocket. To my knowledge, it has NEVER happened to me and it's my EDC. I can see how it could happen, but to me, it's a small price to pay to reach in my pocket to grab the light, and by the time it comes out of my pocket my thumb is already on the switch without having to change my grip at all.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive owned and own....
H501
H501w
SC50w
H51w
H31w

I definitely prefer zebralight's headlamp offerings.
from the SC and H model. the SC has a nice clip. but thats the only thing I like more about the SC model.
I found myself taking an extra second or two to find the switch sometimes with the SC model.
I prefer knowing where my switch is at all times. and with the H model its easier to find.

having to lock out the tailcap with the SC was alittle irratating as well. I dont like doing it with my H501w too.
when I first got my H51w. I carried it nonstop for over 2 weeks, at home/going out, and in many different pants. not once did it accidentally turn on. im sure over time it will, but its not as easy to accidentally turn on as the SC models. when you feel that burning sensation in your pants, most likely your battery is dead. heheh

so far my favorites, and keepers are the H501w, and H31w.
I really liked the H51w. its a beast with primaries. I was quite taken back by how bright it can be on alkalines. but the tint wasnt warm enough for me. LOL im a tint snob.

Last edited: