Surefire KL4 assemblies...is there any market for them? Why choose over KX2C?

bklyn_irish

Newly Enlightened
I know this head assembly converts the E2, E2E, E2O, and E2D to LED.

Is there still a market for these? Is there a benefit to the KL4 over the KX2C?

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there is still a use for them...

1) Flood...when the L4 came out years ago, it was referred to as THE "Wall of Light", and became the standard by what other flood lights were compared too.
2) The nature of the Lux-V version of the KL4 allows it to be easily ran on lower power settings (search "TW4") or in two stages with a low/high ring.
3) Also due to the nature of the Lux-V, it's pretty easy too add a resistor and get the runtime/out-put you desire based on the resistor.

My L4 isn't going anywhere...it's a "Go-To" light...when I need not's of bright light right away in an emergency, the bright reflectored flood of the L4 performs...when KISS applies, the L4 performs.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Irish person from NY!

The latest KL4 is a really overlooked light. It puts out a really fat hotspot with lots of spill that isn't overwhelming when its really dark (glare producing). Its a great camp light.

The KX2C is all throw. It is best in conditions with lots of ambient light like in a city.

I have both.

bklyn_irish

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Irish person from NY!

The latest KL4 is a really overlooked light. It puts out a really fat hotspot with lots of spill that isn't overwhelming when its really dark (glare producing). Its a great camp light.

The KX2C is all throw. It is best in conditions with lots of ambient light like in a city.

I have both.

I am currently running two Surefire M600A weapon lights on my duty guns. The KX2C is almost a bit much for indoor work, and I have one on one rifle (my primary) and a KL4 on my secondary. Debating if I am going to KX2Cs on both.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I am currently running two Surefire M600A weapon lights on my duty guns. The KX2C is almost a bit much for indoor work, and I have one on one rifle (my primary) and a KL4 on my secondary. Debating if I am going to KX2Cs on both.

Have you tried to use the Surefire diffuser on your KX2C? I do not have one of those heads in particular, but on my E2L and L2X, which have similar beam shapes and power, diffusion makes the lights into a whole other beast... and you can pop it off if you need more throw or a tighter beam.

That being said, I have 2 KL4s and I really like their ability to evenly light up whatever is in front of you... if you have both systems with you at all times, can you interchange the heads based on your particular need? (Indoor vs outdoor?)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned 5 or 6 L4 in my life and they occupy a special place in my flashaholic heart, for all the above stated reasons. I still have three units but none are stock any more. I suppose that is a sign of the changing LED times. Some provide multiple levels. Some provide much more output. And others were a step in the modding evolutionary chain. But historically, the L4 was a significant light in its own right.

Wilkey

bklyn_irish

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried to use the Surefire diffuser on your KX2C? I do not have one of those heads in particular, but on my E2L and L2X, which have similar beam shapes and power, diffusion makes the lights into a whole other beast... and you can pop it off if you need more throw or a tighter beam.

That being said, I have 2 KL4s and I really like their ability to evenly light up whatever is in front of you... if you have both systems with you at all times, can you interchange the heads based on your particular need? (Indoor vs outdoor?)

Maybe, maybe not. When it's rifle time, it's usually rifle time FAST.