Surefire at the ASIS Show in New Orleans

StevieRay

Enlightened
I was attending the ASIS Show in New Orleans on the 15-17th. Surefire had a booth there. I had never seen the Surefire line in person, only read the rants and raves on this forum.

I must say that they had the full line on display. I played with them all....like a kid in a candy store!

Craig Stevens, CFO for Surefire was there, and I expressed how much that I had read about the L4, and that it was on my wish list, but i just couldn't afford one. His comment was "Give me a call or e-mail me, and I'll see what I can do." Sounded cool to me. About 15 - 20 minutes later. I brought an associate of mine by to show him this amazing product line. We again played with all of the lights. As i was getting ready to leave, Craig says, "Here ya go." He pulls out a new L4 in a box and hands it to me. I said, "ok so what kind of a deal do I get."
His response, "NO CHARGE". I couldn't believe it!

I compare this experience to the drug pusher giving his customer their first dose of heroin! I am now hooked and must have more! OMG....what have I gotten myself in to????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Getting a $150.00 light for free was good fortune indeed. However, if it would have happened to me I would not have told everyone on this forum. Now others may go to the show and expect to get the same treatment and they just can't afford to do that for everyone. Most of us would know better but there will always be those few who will try to hit him up for a free light.

When I worked for the government (after 30 years I retired and got a real job) they would sent me to computer schools/shows. We use to get gifts from computer and software companies. The government put a stop to that with a zero policy of gifts. Not even a pencil or donut with coffee, nothing. The companies found away around that. You could "win" a gift in a contest. They made sure you didn't lose. If they asked you what color was George Washington's white horse and if you said purple, they would say folks we have a winner here. "Both white and purple are colors and that is close enough for us." Of course the prize was never as nice as a Surefire L4. It was always something like a tee shirt, hat, software, briefcase, or something like that. I did "win" a nice football with a company logo on it, for throwing a basketball at a hoop. I missed but the guy running the booth said that is close enough. I thought close was only good for horse shoes and atomic bombs. They would not let you lose, you were going to win no matter what because they wanted you to go home feeling good about their company.

James

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was really nice of Craig Stevens. Its nice to know that PR is alive and well. Kinda gives me a more charitable view of SF in general.

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
Getting a $150.00 light for free was good fortune indeed. However, if it would have happened to me I would not have told everyone on this forum. Now others may go to the show and expect to get the same treatment and they just can't afford to do that for everyone. Most of us would know better but there will always be those few who will try to hit him up for a free light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did give this some thought before posting, but I decided that this was Craig's way of showing his appreciation for all of the business that he has received via CPF. I did mention that I was a member of CPF, although that was certainly no reason for him to be so generous. I guess that my enthusiasm was felt by him and that I happened to catch him at the right time. I would hope that others would not take this as a reason to "hit him up" for free lights. I certainly didn't mean for that to happen.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
it's those small moments that make it worth enduring life.
of course, if the exploiting should begin shortly after, it will leave a bitter taste. back to normal then ...
bernhard

Skyline

Enlightened
Hey that's pretty cool. You're a lucky guy! I'm sure SF would like you to spread the word, so don't worry about that aspect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Btw, I haven't looked if you've got another thread going...but how do you like your L4?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's great of SF. I also don't have any intention of hitting anybody up for a free light. Everytime I've had to contact SF customer service the've treated me very well, that's good enough for me.

I'm curious thou was this your first Surefire Product? and if it was what do you think of compared to other Lights you have?

I'm asking cause it seems like alot of people here have been making comments like...well I guess SF is good but I think Streamlight is better cause the're cheaper and a better value...and then they get their first Surefire light and lo and behold they now KNOW why Surefire is the best and costs so much.

I started searching for better and better flashlights in the mid-1970's. Nothing I ever found until I recently discovered ARC comes even close to the highest quality, tiny size, big output of Surefire products and I don't mind paying for that kind of quality.

GregR

StevieRay

Enlightened
I can't say enough about this light. It is truly awesome!
It appears to be a very bright white luxeon. My previous acquisitions included the following:

ARC AAA
Infinity Ultra
SL 4AA
Mr. Bulk's LGI
Electrolumens Blaster III
Nuwai 12 LED Lantern
Brinkman mini qbeam spotlight
Eternalight Rave'n

So, this was a big jump for me in light output and quality.
Ther is no doubt that Surefire will be among my future purchases. The biggest problem is deciding which one to get next! Now let's see....the A2 or the M6....hmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heck

Enlightened
I don't know...I wouldn't have said anything myself. I don't expect anything for free or anything so I would never abuse that. However, I had to save for awhile to get the L4 light and then you hear someone just gets one for free...kinda feels bleh. But it's all cool...have fun with the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have handed it back and asked for a Beast instead... but that's just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
That was seriously cool of Surefire to do that, and IMHO the L4 was cheap compared to the positive PR it has now generated. It's one of those rare occasions where everyone's a winner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
Kudos to Surefire. They are a class outfit, and that demonstrates it nicely. I know you will love the L4. It's awesome! Now we will be waiting for you to post up your impressions on some of the forums!
Let us know what else you saw there when you get a chance. Anything new???

David <><

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
I would have handed it back and asked for a Beast instead... but that's just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
That was seriously cool of Surefire to do that, and IMHO the L4 was cheap compared to the positive PR it has now generated. It's one of those rare occasions where everyone's a winner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you mentioned the beast. I asked to see The Beast. That was one of the lights that he didn't have at the show. He did have the 10x Dominator. You can really feel the photons pouring out of this baby!

Just curious as to what kind of mark up they have on the L4.
I figure if it retails for $160, then dealers buy it for $80 to $100 depending on volume. I would guess the factory would have about $40 in it. Maybe I am wrong. Anybody else want to comment?

RevDavid

Enlightened
Sounds to me like they gave you about a hundred and fifty dollars worth of light for free, no matter what the manufacturing cost is...

Pretty cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

David <><

McGizmo

Flashaholic
StevieRay,

That's really cool and I'm glad you did share the experience. Had you expected a L4 as a free gift, I doubt very much you would have received it! Craig Stevens had the choice to make the L4 a gift and he did. I suspect that it was a result of you and he hitting it off and he deemed you a worthy recipient. At any rate, it was a gift that you obviously appreciate and some good PR has resulted. One good turn deserves another.

- Don

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
StevieRay,

That's really cool and I'm glad you did share the experience. Had you expected a L4 as a free gift, I doubt very much you would have received it! Craig Stevens had the choice to make the L4 a gift and he did. I suspect that it was a result of you and he hitting it off and he deemed you a worthy recipient. At any rate, it was a gift that you obviously appreciate and some good PR has resulted. One good turn deserves another.

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,

Thanks for the kind words. I was beginning to feel a little guilty! I am the proud owner of an L4 and i hope that my excitement will give others the ambition to go buy one!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool, not only did you get a great light but you got it at a great price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
Now you have a chance to turn you good fortune into the same for someone else. I say pass along the good deed with a good deed of your own.

Congrats on the L4.. I love mine and you will love yours too!