Run time on Malkoff hi/low ring setup

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Im looking to upgrade my bugout bag light and was wondering if anyone has a runtime on a M61w on "low" with the hi/low ring. The light output is perfect for what I intend it to be used for. I Have heard of 100+ hours of usable light, is this correct?

I am also going to purchase a M61WLL and was wondering if the "low" setting with a high/low ring would even be usable light. I think in the Md2 with hi/low ring I should get 5 to 10 lumens if im correct which would be perfect also.

I am also using Cr123's

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
Im looking to upgrade my bugout bag light and was wondering if anyone has a runtime on a M61w on "low" with the hi/low ring. The light output is perfect for what I intend it to be used for. I Have heard of 100+ hours of usable light, is this correct?

I am also going to purchase a M61WLL for a C2 host and was wondering if the "low" setting with a high/low ring would even be usable light. I think in the Md2 with hi/low ring I should get 5 to 10 lumens if im correct which would be perfect also. I will be using 2xcr123 so I should get about 15 hours of full out put from the m61WLL before tapering on "high" or normal.

Hi Draz,

Before you get too far, because Malkoff's "M" series modules are seated so far forward inside the MD2 head, are sure you will get a MD2/M61WLL connection to the batteries in the C2?

All the best,
John

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I know. I am just droping the module in not the ring. I clarified the OP to help clear the confusion, it did sound like that was my intent.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I know. I am just droping the module in not the ring. I clarified the OP to help clear the confusion, it did sound like that was my intent.

Gotcha! I wish I could be of more help, but I do wish you all the best in locating the answers. I'll keep watch on the thread to see what you find out.

Sincerely,
John

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low in my MD2 are the same between my M61W and M61WLL. I was hoping for an ultra low but it didn't work that way.

hotlight

Enlightened
The low in my MD2 are the same between my M61W and M61WLL. I was hoping for an ultra low but it didn't work that way.

same outcome here.

To OP:
I did a runtime test with the M61W in MD2 Hi/Lo on Lo.
18650(Trustfire 2400 I think)

started 4.15V
ended at 3.73V 96 Hrs Later.

easily could go 100+ hours with x1 18650 on Low.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Gene confirmed that the low is around the same for all the drop in's. I would be running on Cr123's and not rechargables. Gene said around 20ish hours of usable light. I guess it could moonlight for many many more however.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I can double the output of my Low M61, 61W.and 61L. by using RCRs (16340) from about 20 L. to about 40 L. I believe that the XM-L in a 3 cell configuration
has a low out-put of about 50 L.

HighLumens

Enlightened
Hi guys, I' m replying to this old thread so that I don't have to open a new one on the same subject (more or less). I'm studing a little bit of circuits and I would like to learn more on the subject from you who have way better knowledge than I do.

On another thread I read how the hi-low ring is made and, if I understood it correctly, it is a resistor in series to the circuit which drops the voltage to the LED, thus lowering the output; the resistor gets bypassed with the head fully tightened and the full voltage arrives to the LED which is now at full output.

I wonder how it is possible for the runtime to increase, it seemed to me that the resistor should dissipate power, the same power that didn't became luminous flux (I know this would be a very bad and inefficient system to achieve the lower output), so the runtime should stay the same.

Also, the added resistor decrease the current in the circuit, doesn't it? If yes, does the lower current help in decreasing the output?

Thanks for your replies, I'm totally new to this technical informations, so please be patient with me :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct, the hi-lo ring is a resistor glued to a retention ring. when head is loose the current goes trough the resistor. Limiting the output of the module.
Head tight, the current goes trough the path of least resistance, the retention ring.
Gives dim output, and way better runtimes. I wouldn't like the hi-lo ring if it only gave me 1 hour runtime on low :) Some juice get's wasted in the resistor as heat, but far from all. When the drop in module dont get the current it wants, it will have to make do with what it gets.

Really lo output with a single 18650, because it's ~4,2V.
Double 18650 is 8,4V so more Watt in total will squeese trough the resistor when the resistor restrict current, but not so mutch the V when set up this way. The driver will give the led around ~ 3V constant anyway, so it has a little more W to play with when the V is higher and the A is restricted.
3xcr123 is 9V. This set up will give the higest output in lo mode in a 9V malkoff module.
The higher V the brighter the lo mode. So you can basicly "make lo mode brighter" using higher V.
Im not that good at explaining stuff like this on english, so i hope this kind of makes sence :)

Last edited: