Did I get a fake Surefire L1?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
So I've been hoarding Surefire's for some unknown reasons lately. Flashaholism or something. Anyways I try to get them for the most reasonable prices I can. I slummed it and put a few bids in on ebay lowballing basically. Either way I won 2 L1's and they both arrived on the same day, from two different sellers. They both arrived and one is clearly different than the other. Im keeping the good one in its package. The questionable one I had to open because I couldn't tell if it was just the plastic that was making it look bad. Either way here are some pictures. Also, the tailcap is a completely different color than the body and the other light. It doesn't come out great in the pictures but in real life it is clear as day.
IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0134.jpg
IMAG0135.jpg
IMAG0136.jpg
IMAG0137.jpg

I am not opening the other one as I am going to resell it. Can anyone who has an L1, 10/65, tell me if its a bit tricky to get the tailcap on? It seems like its almost fighting to get on and doesnt feel all that great. Also the threads seem a bit over lubed.
IMAG0138.jpg
IMAG0139.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg

The light does appear to function perfectly. The twisty action is ok as is the clicking of the tailcap. Anyone have any ideas?

carrot

Flashaholic
Besides the messy laser etching everything looks on the up and up. The o-ring on the L1 makes it difficult to screw on the tailcap but is just the way the dual-stage tailcap works. The machining is typical Surefire and the insides look exactly right. You're good to go! Now go enjoy one of the best EDC lights ever made.

Bwana

Newly Enlightened
Besides the messy laser etching everything looks on the up and up. The o-ring on the L1 makes it difficult to screw on the tailcap but is just the way the dual-stage tailcap works. The machining is typical Surefire and the insides look exactly right. You're good to go! Now go enjoy one of the best EDC lights ever made.

I concur.....real & great EDC's.

afdk

Newly Enlightened

Do you think Surefire would sell a light with messy laser etching, I think not. Surefire probably has what is known as (Seconds) or (Errors) in the industry. Maybe this light just got out of the factory somehow and ended up on EBAY!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Do you think Surefire would sell a light with messy laser etching, I think not. Surefire probably has what is known as (Seconds) or (Errors) in the industry. Maybe this light just got out of the factory somehow and ended up on EBAY!
That is possible but there is no doubt that this is a genuine Surefire.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Well that's good to hear I guess. I wish it looked nicer. I might call SF and send them my tailcap so they can swap one for one that matches the color. I was using my Droid Incredible for those pics so they aren't great, but in real life it really is completely different. Also the print just looks so far off. There was also a 1/8" diameter white powder, like flour almost on the tailcap that had wiped off onto my hand when testing the function of the light. Whole thing is just weird I guess. I bought an L4 on the market from 2004 from a member a few months back that came in better shape than this light for $50 bucks. However I did score this L1 for 79.95 so I guess I can't complain too much.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Well that's good to hear I guess. I wish it looked nicer. I might call SF and send them my tailcap so they can swap one for one that matches the color. I was using my Droid Incredible for those pics so they aren't great, but in real life it really is completely different. Also the print just looks so far off. There was also a 1/8" diameter white powder, like flour almost on the tailcap that had wiped off onto my hand when testing the function of the light. Whole thing is just weird I guess. I bought an L4 on the market from 2004 from a member a few months back that came in better shape than this light for $50 bucks. However I did score this L1 for 79.95 so I guess I can't complain too much.

White powder...........whats that stuff? I would send better photos to Surefire and let them comment on them! Just awhile ago I sent an e-mail to Surefire asking them their process for inscribing their lights, lets see what their reply is.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-matching of HA components is expected. It's not a defect and SF is unlikely to send out a new one to try to match color (and the new on is unlikely to match, btw).

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably just time to swap the "blade" on the etching machine. I've seen 2 or 3 SF's with etching like this at genuine retail stores. I'm sure etching type-III ano. wears the blades out pretty quick.

If you think that looks bad though, I'll send ya a pic of the D3 I got of DaFab...looks like the person running the etcher had a fit or was drunk (or both).

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Probably just time to swap the "blade" on the etching machine. I've seen 2 or 3 SF's with etching like this at genuine retail stores. I'm sure etching type-III ano. wears the blades out pretty quick.

If you think that looks bad though, I'll send ya a pic of the D3 I got of DaFab...looks like the person running the etcher had a fit or was drunk (or both).

It's not a blade! Here's what Surefire said.

Dear Customer,

Yes; the engravings found on the majority of our flashlights is engraved by a laser. This removes the hard-anodized finish of the flashlight and exposes the bare aluminum below.
We have found that warm water is sufficient for cleaning up the engravings.

Thank You

Greg Lin
Technical Support Representative
SUREFIRE, LLC
17680 Newhope St. Suite B
I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 714-545-9444 ex. 5168 F 714-545-9537

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
*snip* Maybe this light just got out of the factory somehow and ended up on EBAY!
There were a lot of L1s showing up on ebay and in the MP recently. Could this really happen?
I got 1 from eBay and 1 from the MP recently way below MSRP. Both have clean markings and have matching HA shades, much better than some older SFs I have. No problem with either of them.

Back on topic, Tommygun45,
From the pics you posted, only the faded markings look a bit strange. The circuit housing and knurling etc look genuine to me.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
There were a lot of L1s showing up on ebay and in the MP recently. Could this really happen?
I got 1 from eBay and 1 from the MP recently way below MSRP. Both have clean markings and have matching HA shades, much better than some older SFs I have. No problem with either of them.

Back on topic, Tommygun45,
From the pics you posted, only the faded markings look a bit strange. The circuit housing and knurling etc look genuine to me.

There is a lot of counterfiet merchandise out in this world and some very hard to discern from "real" products.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot of counterfiet merchandise out in this world and some very hard to discern from "real" products.
Yeah sad but true, I don't approve of 'clones' either.
I have 3 10/65 L1s, but if they are all fake, there is no telling what is real :shakehead

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ afdk,

We have a "laser etcher" at work, but all that means is that the blade is controlled by a laser so it's more accurate and can do small, detailed, computer engraving, not that it's actually engraved by a "laser" beam...wonder if that's what SF meant???

afdk

Newly Enlightened
When you are trying to buy merchadise on EBAY, and if the price is much lesser than lets say, Battery Junction or BrightGuy, I would be suspect!

afdk

Newly Enlightened
@ afdk,

We have a "laser etcher" at work, but all that means is that the blade is controlled by a laser so it's more accurate and can do small, detailed, computer engraving, not that it's actually engraved by a "laser" beam...wonder if that's what SF meant???

I don't know, why don't you e-mail or call them! A laser engraver is different from a laser etcher.

Last edited:

criminalhate

Newly Enlightened
@ afdk,

Odds are they mean they use an actual laser for doing the marking. We have 2 at my job (Laser Markers) and they are about 100 times faster then standard etching and are typically more accurate marking on anodized aluminum.

Plus Surefire was a laser parts supplier/manufacturer to begin with.

Illum

Flashaholic
Try and fool us :)

I won't go that far with confidence carrot, besides...they don't need any more incentive than what they already have.

As for the messy engraving... I've had a couple A2s and E2es come in looking like that. I'm guessing moisture or some other surface contaminant was left on during the engraving and gave it an inconsistent pattern. I've not tried to "scrub" the print off but regular soap and water cleaning after an outdoor excursions has never been able to alter the engraving. Its unlikely they are taken out by abrasives during the turning process but truthfully I'm not really sure.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Well thanks for the confidence guys. Sounds good. I used the light tonight and it is pretty impressive. Beautiful beam and on par with my L4 and E1B. I guess my only gripe is that if I had got this light from sf.com for 159 bucks I would be really pissed. Off ebay for 80 I was just concerned. Essentially I would be hard pressed to sell this to someone on the MP and tell them it was NIB for instance. I would feel guilty. Either way, its time to get tried out as my edc for a while.

Anyone know of a way to get L1's to tailstand? Is there a shroud out there that works?