Which is the sleekest 6P-type body, semi or full custom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
Hoping to get a little advice from the gallery. While I love my Oveready Cerakoted 6P's, they're quite a bit more bulky than the L4/E2 style bodies I'm most acquainted with. So my question is this: who makes an 18650 6P-type body/system that I can use with silver label and IMR 18650s and P60-format drop-ins?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wilkey

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you're looking for a Clicky switch right? Otherwise Malkoff's Valiant Little Twisty with the VME head is super sleek. They may only take his drop ins though, however some creative CPFers have managed to squeeze some other drop ins in I think.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A Z2 without grip rings is pretty darn sleek.
I've used the 6P and the C2 (and like them both), but with regards to sleekness, I'm surprisingly inclined towards my 'new' 6Z (with a grip ring, LOL).

Edit: It was originally slightly sleeker with the original retro-style round bezel, I've swapped that for a hex bezel (in the pic), at least temporarily.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say Z2 also. You've got to be careful slimming down a P60 host these days, they already are a little bit shy of heatsinking mass.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the input, gentlemen! Off to find a white Cerakoted Z, then. :)

I'd have to say Z2 also. You've got to be careful slimming down a P60 host these days, they already are a little bit shy of heatsinking mass.
Ahhh, excellent observation. That is the price to be paid.

I assume you're looking for a Clicky switch right? Otherwise Malkoff's Valiant Little Twisty with the VME head is super sleek. They may only take his drop ins though, however some creative CPFers have managed to squeeze some other drop ins in I think.
Yes, I'm a clickie man for all lights except the L1 body with McG's prototype Dumb Mule.

A Z2 without grip rings is pretty darn sleek.
Would you, or anyone else, have a photo of a Z sans grip ring?

Wilkey

Last edited:

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Would you, or anyone else, have a photo of a Z sans grip ring?
Wilkey

A comparison of some of the lights mentioned:
p1011268.png

From left to right: SureFire 6P; SureFire Z2 with rubber rings; SureFire Z2 without the rubber rings; SureFire L4.

Greetings,

Nachtwacht.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
A comparison of some of the lights mentioned:
p1011268.png

From left to right: SureFire 6P; SureFire Z2 with rubber rings; SureFire Z2 without the rubber rings; SureFire L4.

Greetings,

Nachtwacht.
Excellent! I love the look and profile of the ringless-Z. Thank you so much, sir. :)

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: It was originally slightly sleeker with the original retro-style round bezel, I've swapped that for a hex bezel (in the pic), at least temporarily.
Very cool, Kestrel.

Well, I've taken all of your recommendations and ordered a white Z2 body from Dan at Oveready. Once my new VanIsleDSM drop-in + FETie arrives, I do believe I'll have my new reference EDC light. What a long strange road it's been. :)

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay guys,
I received my Z2 from Oveready and I love it. Can't wait to get all the pieces together and finish the build. Got one more question now:
How does the C2 body compare to the Z2 in terms of handling and heft? It has flats and looks more substantial. I probably do not need the clip so I would remove it but how does it feel in the hand? Is it easier to grip securely?
Thanks,
Wilkey

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is the Z any slimmer than the C? They look the same to me but I like the clip.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's more material on the rounded sides of the C, of course, but I don't know if the diameter across the flats is larger as compared to the Z. Perhaps we'll luck out and NachtWacht has a C as well and can take a measurement. :)

Wilkey

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Is the Z any slimmer than the C? They look the same to me but I like the clip.

Hello recDNA & Ginseng,

Well what do you know...
naughty.gif
I don't have a C2, but I do own an M2 and a C3. As far as I know the M2 body is the same as the C2 body, and the C3 bezel is the same as the C2's.

At this time, I'm on a short holiday but I'll be back by Friday. I can post a picture then, if nobody else beats me to it...

To answer the "Is the Z slimmer than the C"-question... Yes it is. There is currently a thread going on in the general flashlight discussion section, started by Captain Spaulding. I replied there in post #28 concerning some Z vs C differences.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312784-Any-Surefire-Z-series-addicts-out-there

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a timely thread! A lot of great insights there. I'm going to have to investigate those grips you mentioned because I'm not a shooter, the way I draw and hold the light might not be adversely affected by the asymmetrical body, grip ring. I typically draw from a bezel-up holster and then hold the light in a hammer or pencil/cigar grip depending.

Thank you for that link, Nachtwacht.

Wilkey

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumensfactory Seraph looks quite thin. Other than that there are a few budget p60 hosts that run AA batteries like Solarforce L2r and the Dereelight javelin.

I know what you mean, after handling my first E2e I look at my 6p and think too Bulky.
For running 18650's and p60 bulbs it's not all that big though

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to have to investigate those grips you mentioned because I'm not a shooter, the way I draw and hold the light might not be adversely affected by the asymmetrical body, grip ring. I typically draw from a bezel-up holster and then hold the light in a hammer or pencil/cigar grip depending.

Wilkey,

Don't get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the C2 / C3 / M2 bodies. I'm sure there are a lot of CPF'ers who prefer these over the Z's. Check out this thread, for example: 'It's official – I'm a C2-HA addict….' - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?206975-Its-official.-I-m-a-C2-HA-addict..... But for law enforcement, I highly prefer the Z's for the reasons mentioned.

I don't want to get too much off topic and turn your thread into one about shooting grips, but if you're interested in these, here is a thread started by Beastmaster that I bookmarked a couple of years ago: 'Tactical flashlight techniques – take two' - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Tactical-Flashlight-techniques-take-two/page2 Explains some different techniques pretty well.

As said, I'll post a comparison picture Friday.

Greetings,

Nachtwacht

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

Don't get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the C2 / C3 / M2 bodies. I'm sure there are a lot of CPF'ers who prefer these over the Z's. Check out this thread, for example: 'It's official – I'm a C2-HA addict….' - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?206975-Its-official.-I-m-a-C2-HA-addict..... But for law enforcement, I highly prefer the Z's for the reasons mentioned.

I don't want to get too much off topic and turn your thread into one about shooting grips, but if you're interested in these, here is a thread started by Beastmaster that I bookmarked a couple of years ago: 'Tactical flashlight techniques – take two' - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Tactical-Flashlight-techniques-take-two/page2 Explains some different techniques pretty well.

As said, I'll post a comparison picture Friday.

Greetings,
Nachtwacht
Interesting threads. Thank you. And no worries, no hurries. I've been doodling around with lights long enough to appreciate that there's something appropriate (and inappropriate/suboptimal) for each and every use out there. I am curious if there is some sort of groove that the C grip ring fits into. The A tube is nice and smooth right to the stopper ridge that the rings rest against and that is comfortable for my hands.
Regards,
Wilkey